Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Resticking rear view mirrors

Following on from the debacle of the rear view mirror falling off
the windscreen in hot weather, I settled down to the job of sticking it
back on. Initially I used an expensive Summit sticky rubber pad, sold
for the job. The initial attempt was a failure and the second attempt
lasted about 1hr in hot sunlight. I next tried sticky pads from my local
car parts shop. These were half the price, but only managed to secure
the mirror for 2 days before it fell off again. At this point, I decided
to go the superglue route, so purchased:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006E8YUU8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which has now managed to last for a week! Unfortunately, only one
rubber pad was included in the package, so only one attempt is possible.
I hope that's the end of the problem. There was much less wobble with
the rubber pad supplied, it seemed stiffer. Reading the reviews, The
rubber sticky pads have very little chance of success in hot weather and
even the gold plated 3M product doesn't seem to work too well in very
hot climates. The Loctite product seems to suffer from shelf aging
according to the failure reports. This Amazon product has worked well in
my case, but only time will tell if I have really solved the problem.
This rear view mirror is quite heavy I have found, when comparing it
with other cars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

[snip]

I decided to go the superglue route

I thought a special UV cured adhesive was the stuff to use? Have never
had problems with mirrors re-attached by Autoglass etc, wonder what they
use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:23:57 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Call in at any of the Car Windows places (Autoglass etc) who if you
ask nicely will do it for free or little more than you're paying for
the hassle and it will be fixed for life. I had the same problem for
months until I did that. I don't know what they use and why it works
so well.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2016 11:23, Capitol wrote:

[...]

Faced with the same problem of reaffixing a rear-view mirror, I disliked
the high prices for tiny quantities of the "official" products, and that
you really only get one go at it, and searched around for an
alternative. Ended up with this glue:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Y8IM7Q

Must be three to five years now - got sick of searching through my
purchase history. In my car, the glue is onto a blackened area of the
windscreen which might be protecting it from UV. The only problem was
that it took a bit of effort to arrange sticky tape, sticks, and
whatever else I used to hold it in place. In the middle of winter, it
took several hours to fully cure.

Have since used the same glue for several purposes and found Ti
excellent within its range of application.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/23/2016 12:57 PM, AnthonyL wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:23:57 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Call in at any of the Car Windows places (Autoglass etc) who if you
ask nicely will do it for free or little more than you're paying for
the hassle and it will be fixed for life. I had the same problem for
months until I did that. I don't know what they use and why it works
so well.

I got some freebies when I had a windscreen replaced about 20 years ago
(not by Autoglass though, triple the price of less advertised firms).
Used a couple successfully but goodness knows where the rest are.

Rear view mirror Mike Tomlinson UK diy 6 December 7th 13 07:55 PM
CC-82 Rear View Camera Dave Yates Electronics Repair 0 October 12th 10 02:28 AM
Rear View Mirror.. Help! Thomarse UK diy 2 October 25th 08 07:43 PM
Rear View Mirror.. Help! Thomarse UK diy 0 October 25th 08 04:01 PM
Tri-view or bi-view mirrors? Actor123 Home Repair 0 February 4th 07 05:16 PM