Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SOT - Stupid car locks

I've got a Nissan Micra

It has central locking with single (hidden) key entry point on the passenger
door.

when my CL fails, which it does all too frequently (it seems to be the
sensor not the key) you obtain entry using the key on the passenger door
which unlocks that door only.

But (something in) the act of getting in and driving off unlocks all the
doors.

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which *only*
locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining unlocked and there
seems to be no way to lock them.

What nutcase designed this system!

And this is technological progress (well the 10 year ago version)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 May 2016 11:09:42 UTC+1, tim... wrote:

I've got a Nissan Micra

there's your mistake

It has central locking with single (hidden) key entry point on the passenger
door.

when my CL fails, which it does all too frequently (it seems to be the
sensor not the key) you obtain entry using the key on the passenger door
which unlocks that door only.

But (something in) the act of getting in and driving off unlocks all the
doors.

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which *only*
locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining unlocked and there
seems to be no way to lock them.

What nutcase designed this system!

And this is technological progress (well the 10 year ago version)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
I've got a Nissan Micra

It has central locking with single (hidden) key entry point on the
passenger door.

when my CL fails, which it does all too frequently (it seems to be the
sensor not the key) you obtain entry using the key on the passenger
door which unlocks that door only.

But (something in) the act of getting in and driving off unlocks all
the doors.

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which
*only* locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining
unlocked and there seems to be no way to lock them.

What nutcase designed this system!

And this is technological progress (well the 10 year ago version)

tim

Try here, this lot are quite helpful.
http://www.nissanownersclub.com/forums/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:09:15 +0100, tim... wrote:

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which *only*
locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining unlocked and
there seems to be no way to lock them.

Is there really no way to lock the doors from the inside?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:09:15 +0100, tim... wrote:

But (something in) the act of getting in and driving off unlocks all the
doors.

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which *only*
locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining unlocked and
there seems to be no way to lock them.

What nutcase designed this system!

Have you read the instructions? Maybe you have to "pair" the key and
car again so the remote central locking works again?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
when my CL fails, which it does all too frequently (it seems to be the
sensor not the key) you obtain entry using the key on the passenger door
which unlocks that door only.

Have you Googled to find out if there is a cure? Most CL systems are
pretty reliable. If yours doesn't work because of lack of signal or local
interference there might be a work round.

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 23 May 2016 11:09:42 UTC+1, tim... wrote:

I've got a Nissan Micra

there's your mistake

When you need a car "by tomorrow" and prefer to drive small cars, you have
to take what's on offer.

It has central locking with single (hidden) key entry point on the
passenger
door.

when my CL fails, which it does all too frequently (it seems to be the
sensor not the key) you obtain entry using the key on the passenger door
which unlocks that door only.

But (something in) the act of getting in and driving off unlocks all the
doors.

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which *only*
locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining unlocked and
there
seems to be no way to lock them.

What nutcase designed this system!

And this is technological progress (well the 10 year ago version)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:09:15 +0100, tim... wrote:

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which *only*
locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining unlocked and
there seems to be no way to lock them.

Is there really no way to lock the doors from the inside?

Yes

but they *all* open again as soon as you open one of the doors to get out

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:09:15 +0100, tim... wrote:

But (something in) the act of getting in and driving off unlocks all the
doors.

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which *only*
locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining unlocked and
there seems to be no way to lock them.

What nutcase designed this system!

Have you read the instructions?

Yes (I had a spare hour waiting in the repair shop one afternoon)

There is next to nothing in there about "fixing" the central locking

Maybe you have to "pair" the key and
car again so the remote central locking works again?

It does work "again", it's just that the period of time between it not
working and it working is random

Usually what happens is it refuses to work to open, so I use the key, and by
the time I have got to my destination it has corrected itself so I can lock
it.

The difficulty occurs when it decides not to work at the end of the journey
to lock it. Usually, I then have no choice but to leave it unlocked
overnight, and by the next morning it works.

But I'm about to go on holiday for 2 weeks and it will be left outside my
house, so I prefer not to take the risk of it sitting unlocked for that time
if it doesn't fix itself by tomorrow

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 3:15:40 PM UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:09:15 +0100, tim... wrote:

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which *only*
locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining unlocked and
there seems to be no way to lock them.

Is there really no way to lock the doors from the inside?

Yes

but they *all* open again as soon as you open one of the doors to get out

Can you not climb out through the boot?

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
I've got a Nissan Micra

It has central locking with single (hidden) key entry point on the
passenger door.

when my CL fails, which it does all too frequently (it seems to be the
sensor not the key) you obtain entry using the key on the passenger
door which unlocks that door only.

But (something in) the act of getting in and driving off unlocks all
the doors.

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which
*only* locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining
unlocked and there seems to be no way to lock them.

What nutcase designed this system!

And this is technological progress (well the 10 year ago version)

tim

Try here, this lot are quite helpful.
http://www.nissanownersclub.com/forums/

If they know the answer

90% of the threads have zero replies

Google got me to "justanswer.com" but that want paying for the answer (if
satisfied!)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
when my CL fails, which it does all too frequently (it seems to be the
sensor not the key) you obtain entry using the key on the passenger door
which unlocks that door only.

Have you Googled to find out if there is a cure? Most CL systems are
pretty reliable. If yours doesn't work because of lack of signal or local
interference there might be a work round.

Hm,

It's always in the same place when it doesn't work

I suppose it could be someone else using a different remote interfering with
it

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
[...]

Right .......... it was a while ago ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
when my CL fails, which it does all too frequently (it seems to be
the sensor not the key) you obtain entry using the key on the
passenger door which unlocks that door only.

Have you Googled to find out if there is a cure? Most CL systems are
pretty reliable. If yours doesn't work because of lack of signal or
local interference there might be a work round.

Hm,

It's always in the same place when it doesn't work

I suppose it could be someone else using a different remote
interfering with it

tim

Ahhhhhhhh, now then!
We also have a Micra. When we drive past a certain place the hatchback
unlocks itself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:09:15 +0100, tim... wrote:

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which
*only*
locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining unlocked and
there seems to be no way to lock them.

Is there really no way to lock the doors from the inside?

Yes

but they *all* open again as soon as you open one of the doors to get out

Can you not climb out through the boot?

That's one of "the doors"

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Have you Googled to find out if there is a cure? Most CL systems are
pretty reliable. If yours doesn't work because of lack of signal or
local interference there might be a work round.

Hm,

It's always in the same place when it doesn't work

I suppose it could be someone else using a different remote interfering
with it

Could be lots of things. A faulty switch mode power supply somewhere
putting out lots of RF rubbish, etc. Car remotes are very low powered, so
easily swamped.

Have you tried the remote in different places - ie walk round the car
trying it? I dunno where the aerial is sited in yours.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
when my CL fails, which it does all too frequently (it seems to be the
sensor not the key) you obtain entry using the key on the passenger door
which unlocks that door only.

Have you Googled to find out if there is a cure? Most CL systems are
pretty reliable. If yours doesn't work because of lack of signal or local
interference there might be a work round.

Hm,

It's always in the same place when it doesn't work

I suppose it could be someone else using a different remote interfering with
it

It's more likely to be some local interference such as Police radio
systems, bridge control (my bike remote refused to work near a Gent
Terneuzen canal bridge) or something of that sort.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
Have you Googled to find out if there is a cure? Most CL systems are
pretty reliable. If yours doesn't work because of lack of signal or
local interference there might be a work round.

Hm,

It's always in the same place when it doesn't work

I suppose it could be someone else using a different remote interfering
with it

Could be lots of things. A faulty switch mode power supply somewhere
putting out lots of RF rubbish, etc. Car remotes are very low powered, so
easily swamped.

Have you tried the remote in different places - ie walk round the car

of course

though I haven't tried the holding it to my head trick!

trying it? I dunno where the aerial is sited in yours.

no neither do I

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
when my CL fails, which it does all too frequently (it seems to be the
sensor not the key) you obtain entry using the key on the passenger
door
which unlocks that door only.

Have you Googled to find out if there is a cure? Most CL systems are
pretty reliable. If yours doesn't work because of lack of signal or
local
interference there might be a work round.

Hm,

It's always in the same place when it doesn't work

I suppose it could be someone else using a different remote interfering
with
it

It's more likely to be some local interference such as Police radio
systems, bridge control (my bike remote refused to work near a Gent
Terneuzen canal bridge) or something of that sort.

Yep.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...f=95&t=1580714

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
Have you Googled to find out if there is a cure? Most CL systems
are pretty reliable. If yours doesn't work because of lack of
signal or local interference there might be a work round.

Hm,

It's always in the same place when it doesn't work

I suppose it could be someone else using a different remote
interfering with it

Could be lots of things. A faulty switch mode power supply somewhere
putting out lots of RF rubbish, etc. Car remotes are very low
powered, so easily swamped.

Have you tried the remote in different places - ie walk round the car

of course

though I haven't tried the holding it to my head trick!

trying it? I dunno where the aerial is sited in yours.

no neither do I

tim

It's under the dashboard - aye.
Did you read my post about the hatchback in my Micra unlocking when driving
in a certain place?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
[...]

yes

how did that answer the question?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
when my CL fails, which it does all too frequently (it seems to be the
sensor not the key) you obtain entry using the key on the passenger door
which unlocks that door only.

Have you Googled to find out if there is a cure? Most CL systems are
pretty reliable. If yours doesn't work because of lack of signal or local
interference there might be a work round.

Hm,

It's always in the same place when it doesn't work

I suppose it could be someone else using a different remote interfering
with it

tim

A friend found himself stranded at a service in France thanks to
interference from a nearby TETRA radio transmitter.
As soon as the bike was put inside the breakdown van and screened from
the transmitter the alarm bleeped the "clear code" and would then start.
Still cost him the 90 euro recovery fee but he "just" caught the ferry.
Dave
--
Blow my nose to email me
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2016 15:15, tim... wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:09:15 +0100, tim... wrote:

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which *only*
locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining unlocked and
there seems to be no way to lock them.

Is there really no way to lock the doors from the inside?

Yes

but they *all* open again as soon as you open one of the doors to get out

What if you leave the drivers door open while locking the others from
inside. Then get out and shut the last door?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2016 03:10:41 +0100
John Rumm wrote:

What if you leave the drivers door open while locking the others from
inside. Then get out and shut the last door?

Maybe the passenger door instead, as that's the one with the key? I
think that's how my Renault is supposed to work, I'll try it when I
remember. Its doors all lock from one console switch instead of
individual door buttons, normally they lock automatically as the car
speeds up, and opening any door from inside unlocks all the doors. This
is while at rest, anyway.
If that particular computer fails, all bets are off, except the
passenger door will still lock and unlock with the key from outside.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 May 2016 15:17:07 +0100, Davey wrote:

What if you leave the drivers door open while locking the others from
inside. Then get out and shut the last door?

Maybe the passenger door instead, as that's the one with the key?

Which is, of course, the driver's door in the majority of cars...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 May 2016 14:17:47 +0000 (UTC)
Adrian wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2016 15:17:07 +0100, Davey wrote:

What if you leave the drivers door open while locking the others
from inside. Then get out and shut the last door?

Maybe the passenger door instead, as that's the one with the key?

Which is, of course, the driver's door in the majority of cars...

Maybe, but in the OP's and mine, it's not.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 May 2016 18:53:58 +0100
Tim Streater wrote:

Adrian wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2016 15:17:07 +0100, Davey wrote:

What if you leave the drivers door open while locking the others
from inside. Then get out and shut the last door?

Maybe the passenger door instead, as that's the one with the key?

Which is, of course, the driver's door in the majority of cars...

Maybe, but in the OP's and mine, it's not.

Nor my Citroen C4, but that's because it's an item they didn't bother
to swap when making the RHD version.

Probably the same with mine, but the original comment was about the
OP's car, not others.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2016 18:53, Tim Streater wrote:

Adrian wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2016 15:17:07 +0100, Davey wrote:

What if you leave the drivers door open while locking the others
from inside. Then get out and shut the last door?

Maybe the passenger door instead, as that's the one with the key?

Which is, of course, the driver's door in the majority of cars...

Maybe, but in the OP's and mine, it's not.

Nor my Citroen C4, but that's because it's an item they didn't bother
to swap when making the RHD version.

Oddly enough, when I had a Nissan, the only keyhole was in the passenger
door, despite Nissans being built in the UK and Nissan being a Japanese
company - Japan of course having RHD cars just like us!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 May 2016 02:25:51 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

What if you leave the drivers door open while locking the others
from inside. Then get out and shut the last door?

Maybe the passenger door instead, as that's the one with the key?

Which is, of course, the driver's door in the majority of cars...

Maybe, but in the OP's and mine, it's not.

Nor my Citroen C4, but that's because it's an item they didn't bother
to swap when making the RHD version.

Oddly enough, when I had a Nissan, the only keyhole was in the passenger
door, despite Nissans being built in the UK and Nissan being a Japanese
company - Japan of course having RHD cars just like us!

Except the small detail that European Nissans aren't the same as Japanese
Nissans, and share a LOT with Renault, who own Nissan who own Renault.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 May 2016 19:55:21 +0100, Davey wrote:

What if you leave the drivers door open while locking the others
from inside. Then get out and shut the last door?

Maybe the passenger door instead, as that's the one with the key?

Which is, of course, the driver's door in the majority of cars...

Maybe, but in the OP's and mine, it's not.

Nor my Citroen C4, but that's because it's an item they didn't bother
to swap when making the RHD version.

Probably the same with mine, but the original comment was about the OP's
car, not others.

I think you miss the subtlety of my point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
On 23/05/2016 15:15, tim... wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:09:15 +0100, tim... wrote:

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which
*only*
locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining unlocked and
there seems to be no way to lock them.

Is there really no way to lock the doors from the inside?

Yes

but they *all* open again as soon as you open one of the doors to get out

What if you leave the drivers door open while locking the others from
inside.

the internal button refuses to lock any doors

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2016 15:17:07 +0100, Davey wrote:

What if you leave the drivers door open while locking the others
from inside. Then get out and shut the last door?

Maybe the passenger door instead, as that's the one with the key?

Which is, of course, the driver's door in the majority of cars...

Maybe, but in the OP's and mine, it's not.

Nor is it in Japanese cars (as in ones driving in Japan), which is why it is
strange that they should choose that one

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
It presumably is safer to have it this way from the dog or baby locked in
the car syndrome rather than the logical one you perceive.

safer than what way?

my previous car with a single "hidden" key, unlocked, and locked all the
doors together.

Indeed because that car had an alarm, that was more annoying because if you
unlocked the car this way and someone opened one of the other (now unlocked
doors) before the key was inserted into the ignition and turned to position
I, the alarm would go off

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 13:15:20 +0100, tim... wrote:

Maybe the passenger door instead, as that's the one with the key?

Which is, of course, the driver's door in the majority of cars...

Maybe, but in the OP's and mine, it's not.

Nor is it in Japanese cars (as in ones driving in Japan), which is why
it is strange that they should choose that one

Not all Japanese cars sold here are also sold in Japan. They're often
European developed and built. In the case of Nissan, they share a lot of
components with Renault.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
I've got a Nissan Micra

It has central locking with single (hidden) key entry point on the
passenger door.

when my CL fails, which it does all too frequently (it seems to be the
sensor not the key) you obtain entry using the key on the passenger door
which unlocks that door only.

But (something in) the act of getting in and driving off unlocks all the
doors.

So when you stop you have all the doors unlocked, and a key which *only*
locks the passenger door - all the other doors remaining unlocked and
there seems to be no way to lock them.

What nutcase designed this system!

Update:

Took the car in for its MOT today and quizzed the (second hand) dealer on
this.

He played around for about 10 minutes trying different things until:

Fooled the central locking into thinking that all doors are closed by
holding in the micro switch that registered a closed door on the door that
you have open.

Lock the doors with the internal button.

Close remaining door.

Only works if the open door is a read door, not if it is a front door (we
didn't try the hatch)

Now, I wonder if that's in the main-dealer manual?

tim