Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What kind of thread could this be?

Trying to make up a puller for a steering wheel (Land Rover) so it's
imperial (it really is in this instance!)
Can anyone tell me which imperial thread is frequently confused for 6mm
metric? To be a bit clearer, I can't use my thread gauges in this
instance because they're a bit too wide to probe the hole in question.
But a 6mm threaded rod *will* go in nicely like it's a perfect fit - up
to a point! After several turns, however, it binds up. So... what
imperial bolt size & thread type would this most likely be? Something
very close to 6mm metric but 25 TPI. AF? UNF? UNC? Any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:10:06 +0000, Chris wrote:

Trying to make up a puller for a steering wheel (Land Rover) so it's
imperial (it really is in this instance!)
Can anyone tell me which imperial thread is frequently confused for 6mm
metric? To be a bit clearer, I can't use my thread gauges in this
instance because they're a bit too wide to probe the hole in question.
But a 6mm threaded rod *will* go in nicely like it's a perfect fit - up
to a point! After several turns, however, it binds up. So... what
imperial bolt size & thread type would this most likely be? Something
very close to 6mm metric but 25 TPI. AF? UNF? UNC? Any ideas?

1/4" 10TPI would be my guess (so UNC?)

Avpx

--
"But you read a lot of books, I'm thinking. Hard to have faith, ain't it,
when you've read too many books?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/21/2016 4:31 PM, The Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:10:06 +0000, Chris wrote:

Trying to make up a puller for a steering wheel (Land Rover) so it's
imperial (it really is in this instance!)
Can anyone tell me which imperial thread is frequently confused for 6mm
metric? To be a bit clearer, I can't use my thread gauges in this
instance because they're a bit too wide to probe the hole in question.
But a 6mm threaded rod *will* go in nicely like it's a perfect fit - up
to a point! After several turns, however, it binds up. So... what
imperial bolt size & thread type would this most likely be? Something
very close to 6mm metric but 25 TPI. AF? UNF? UNC? Any ideas?

1/4" 10TPI would be my guess (so UNC?)

Avpx

Not 10 tpi surely? 1/4 Whitworth and UNC is 20 tpi, 1/4 BSF is 26.

M6 coarse is 1 mm pitch (so 25.4 tpi). So pretty close to BSF.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:10:06 +0000, Chris wrote:

Trying to make up a puller for a steering wheel (Land Rover) so it's
imperial (it really is in this instance!)
Can anyone tell me which imperial thread is frequently confused for 6mm
metric? To be a bit clearer, I can't use my thread gauges in this
instance because they're a bit too wide to probe the hole in question.
But a 6mm threaded rod *will* go in nicely like it's a perfect fit - up
to a point! After several turns, however, it binds up. So... what
imperial bolt size & thread type would this most likely be? Something
very close to 6mm metric but 25 TPI. AF? UNF? UNC? Any ideas?

1/4" 10TPI would be my guess (so UNC?)

Avpx

May be 1/4" whitworth (20 TPI I think)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 May 2016 02:03:34 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

The Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:10:06 +0000, Chris wrote:

Trying to make up a puller for a steering wheel (Land Rover) so it's
imperial (it really is in this instance!)
Can anyone tell me which imperial thread is frequently confused for
6mm metric? To be a bit clearer, I can't use my thread gauges in this
instance because they're a bit too wide to probe the hole in question.
But a 6mm threaded rod *will* go in nicely like it's a perfect fit -
up to a point! After several turns, however, it binds up. So... what
imperial bolt size & thread type would this most likely be? Something
very close to 6mm metric but 25 TPI. AF? UNF? UNC? Any ideas?

1/4" 10TPI would be my guess (so UNC?)

Avpx

May be 1/4" whitworth (20 TPI I think)

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough earlier. Whatever this thread
is, it's very, very close to 25TPI. Like *VERY* close if not spot-on.
This is because the 6mm rod that almost fitted is *very* close to 25TPI.
Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 17:01:16 +0100, newshound wrote:

1/4" 10TPI would be my guess (so UNC?)

Avpx

Not 10 tpi surely? 1/4 Whitworth and UNC is 20 tpi, 1/4 BSF is 26.

He must mean UN*F*C, I would guess. ;-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris wrote:
Trying to make up a puller for a steering wheel (Land Rover) so it's
imperial (it really is in this instance!)
Can anyone tell me which imperial thread is frequently confused for 6mm
metric? To be a bit clearer, I can't use my thread gauges in this
instance because they're a bit too wide to probe the hole in question.
But a 6mm threaded rod *will* go in nicely like it's a perfect fit - up
to a point! After several turns, however, it binds up. So... what
imperial bolt size & thread type would this most likely be? Something
very close to 6mm metric but 25 TPI. AF? UNF? UNC? Any ideas?

What age is the Land Rover? Before metric, most UK car threads were
unified. UNC for threads into ally - but for steel and nuts and bolts
generally UNF.

6mm would be closest to 1/4" UNF/C. The spanner which fits that is 7/16th
AF. The next size up in UNF/C is 5/16th. About 8mm.

Generally, in terms of thread pitch, UNC is closer to metric than UNF.

--
*Don't squat with your spurs on *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:10:06 +0000, Chris wrote:

Trying to make up a puller for a steering wheel (Land Rover) so it's
imperial (it really is in this instance!)
Can anyone tell me which imperial thread is frequently confused for 6mm
metric? To be a bit clearer, I can't use my thread gauges in this
instance because they're a bit too wide to probe the hole in question.
But a 6mm threaded rod *will* go in nicely like it's a perfect fit - up
to a point! After several turns, however, it binds up. So... what
imperial bolt size & thread type would this most likely be? Something
very close to 6mm metric but 25 TPI. AF? UNF? UNC? Any ideas?

Do you need a puller?

Leave the centre nut on a turn or two, and give the wheel a really good
wiggle and a thump from behind and a wiggle and a thump from behind.
It'll let go soon enough. When it does, you will WANT that centre nut
still on - else you'll get a steering wheel in the face...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 18:05:34 +0000, Adrian wrote:

Leave the centre nut on a turn or two, and give the wheel a really good
wiggle and a thump from behind and a wiggle and a thump from behind.
It'll let go soon enough. When it does, you will WANT that centre nut
still on - else you'll get a steering wheel in the face...

Tried it already. The problem is the more modern LR steering wheels are
very rubbery affairs and lack the rigidity necessary for such an approach
to succeed. Anyway it's probably just as well it didn't work as I'd left
off the centre nut! :-D

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris a écrit :
Trying to make up a puller for a steering wheel (Land Rover) so it's
imperial (it really is in this instance!)
Can anyone tell me which imperial thread is frequently confused for 6mm
metric? To be a bit clearer, I can't use my thread gauges in this
instance because they're a bit too wide to probe the hole in question.
But a 6mm threaded rod *will* go in nicely like it's a perfect fit - up
to a point! After several turns, however, it binds up. So... what
imperial bolt size & thread type would this most likely be? Something
very close to 6mm metric but 25 TPI. AF? UNF? UNC? Any ideas?

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:54:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Brilliant! Turns out to be 1/4" Whit fine at 26tpi to be precise; many
thanks indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Nomad wrote:
[...]

Sorry, or 0 BA (havn't checked but do not doubt Chris's figures).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/21/2016 9:40 PM, Chris wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:54:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Brilliant! Turns out to be 1/4" Whit fine at 26tpi to be precise; many
thanks indeed.

Never heard of Whitworth fine; British Standard Fine, on the other hand,
is 26 tpi.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 22:10:30 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 5/21/2016 9:40 PM, Chris wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:54:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Brilliant! Turns out to be 1/4" Whit fine at 26tpi to be precise; many
thanks indeed.

Never heard of Whitworth fine; British Standard Fine, on the other hand,
is 26 tpi.

That's what I meant: BSF (AKA Whitworth fine) there's a Whitworth course
as well, it seems. So many thread forms!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/21/2016 10:26 PM, Chris wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 22:10:30 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 5/21/2016 9:40 PM, Chris wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:54:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Brilliant! Turns out to be 1/4" Whit fine at 26tpi to be precise; many
thanks indeed.

Never heard of Whitworth fine; British Standard Fine, on the other hand,
is 26 tpi.

That's what I meant: BSF (AKA Whitworth fine) there's a Whitworth course
as well, it seems. So many thread forms!!!

It's the same thread form as Whitworth (1841), but was actually defined
much later (1908).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 22:40:45 +0100, newshound wrote:

It's the same thread form as Whitworth (1841), but was actually defined
much later (1908).

The rest of the world must marvel at us. They use simple V forms of 60'
and we have all these fancy variations of 55' with a radius of one size
or another on the crests and roots of threads and nuts. They must wonder
how the **** we ever won both World Wars ****ing around with intricacies
like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/16 22:26, Chris wrote:
there's a Whitworth course
as well, it seems.

Do you get a Whitworth diploma if you copmplete it?

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/22/2016 1:47 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/05/16 22:26, Chris wrote:
there's a Whitworth course
as well, it seems.

Do you get a Whitworth diploma if you copmplete it?

A mate of mine is chairman of the Whitworth awards panel

http://www.whitworthscholarships.org.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 May 2016 01:47:26 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 21/05/16 22:26, Chris wrote:
there's a Whitworth course as well, it seems.

Do you get a Whitworth diploma if you copmplete it?

Oh, a typo flame! How frightfully droll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Nomad wrote:
[...]

Why I triped 10TPI when the brain said 20 TPI (or did I mean 1T/mm?)

Oh well put it down to old age and lack of sleep ...

Avpx

--
The Ephebians made wine out of anything they could put in a bucket,
and ate anything that couldn't climb out of one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:54:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Brilliant! Turns out to be 1/4" Whit fine at 26tpi to be precise; many
thanks indeed.

How old is this Land Rover?

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 18:17:43 +0000, Chris wrote:

Leave the centre nut on a turn or two, and give the wheel a really good
wiggle and a thump from behind and a wiggle and a thump from behind.
It'll let go soon enough. When it does, you will WANT that centre nut
still on - else you'll get a steering wheel in the face...

Tried it already. The problem is the more modern LR steering wheels are
very rubbery affairs and lack the rigidity necessary for such an
approach to succeed. Anyway it's probably just as well it didn't work as
I'd left off the centre nut! :-D

There should still be a steel frame inside the wheel, albeit padded
externally.

Try the same as you'd try for a stuck roadwheel. Loosen the nut, go for a
drive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:54:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Brilliant! Turns out to be 1/4" Whit fine at 26tpi to be precise; many
thanks indeed.

Also known as 1/4 BSB British Standard Brass, a constant pitch series
26TPI irrespective of the diameter.
Most common is 1/2" BSB as found on the lampholder threads for table lamps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 May 2016 12:58:40 +0000, Adrian wrote:

There should still be a steel frame inside the wheel, albeit padded
externally.

I don't doubt it, but the frame could be made of cast iron for all the
good it will do to clump it when its smothered in rubber. If you can't
transmit the shock to the splines thanks to all the rubber, there's not
much you can do - other than use a puller.

Try the same as you'd try for a stuck roadwheel. Loosen the nut, go for
a drive.

Won't work for a steering wheel; different forces in play.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 May 2016 13:25:20 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:54:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Brilliant! Turns out to be 1/4" Whit fine at 26tpi to be precise; many
thanks indeed.

How old is this Land Rover?

****ing nosy aren't you? 1939 if you must know.;-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2016 13:25:20 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

How old is this Land Rover?

****ing nosy aren't you? 1939 if you must know.;-

Nicely really run in then? ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/16 17:43, Tim+ wrote:
Chris wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2016 13:25:20 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

How old is this Land Rover?

****ing nosy aren't you? 1939 if you must know.;-

Nicely really run in then? ;-)

Tim

Pretty good going since the first Land Rover was built in 1948.

On planet sane, anyway. On Planet Plowperson Hitler won WWII and had a
sex change and rejuvenation and became Margaret Thatcher

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:54:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Brilliant! Turns out to be 1/4" Whit fine at 26tpi to be precise; many
thanks indeed.

How old is this Land Rover?

****ing nosy aren't you? 1939 if you must know.;-

Believe it or not, sometime the age can be a clue to the thread of that
item.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:54:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Brilliant! Turns out to be 1/4" Whit fine at 26tpi to be precise; many
thanks indeed.

How old is this Land Rover?

****ing nosy aren't you? 1939 if you must know.;-

Unique, then. ;-)

--
*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:54:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Brilliant! Turns out to be 1/4" Whit fine at 26tpi to be precise;
many thanks indeed.

How old is this Land Rover?

****ing nosy aren't you? 1939 if you must know.;-

Believe it or not, sometime the age can be a clue to the thread of that
item.

Of course. BSF and BSW were only really found in cars post WW2 where they
used pre-war designed components.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Chris wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:54:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Brilliant! Turns out to be 1/4" Whit fine at 26tpi to be precise;
many thanks indeed.

How old is this Land Rover?

****ing nosy aren't you? 1939 if you must know.;-

Unique, then. ;-)

must be since the breed didn't come off the production line until 1948.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Chris wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:54:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

1/4" Whitworth. I have a box of mixed 6mm and 1/4 Whitworth roofing
bolts and nuts, they are quite hard to distinguish apart, without
testing them.

Brilliant! Turns out to be 1/4" Whit fine at 26tpi to be precise;
many thanks indeed.

How old is this Land Rover?

****ing nosy aren't you? 1939 if you must know.;-

Unique, then. ;-)

must be since the breed didn't come off the production line until 1948.

Indeed.

What was surprising about this is how few seem to understand the history
of the threads used in the UK car industry.

--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:10:06 +0000, Chris wrote:

To answer the question posed in the Subject line (having viewed all the
many replies thus far) would appear to be "Very long." :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2016 22:41, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:10:06 +0000, Chris wrote:

To answer the question posed in the Subject line (having viewed all the
many replies thus far) would appear to be "Very long." :-)

Even more remarkably, mostly very on-topic. :-)

--
Rod