Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repacing under-countertop Belfast sink..

...with stainless steel?

A friend moved into a house with black polished stone countertops and a
60cm wide Belfast sink fitted underneath. She hates it.

She's has a couple of folk in about changing the sink and they want to pull
the whole countertop off and redo everything which seems a bit of overkill
to me.

My friend would prefer stainless steel but it needs to be something that
will fit *beneath* the counter and no wider than the present sink. All s/s
sinks that I've seen for under-counter fitting still have significant
flanges that might make the overall width too large to fit between the
existing units. The front of the sink (the wall facing into the kitchen)
also needs to be presentable as the countertop has a 'U' shaped cutout for
the existing Belfast sink.

Can you get "bespoke" s/s sinks that might make a straight swap easier?
Links/suggestions much appreciated. The more I think about it the more I'm
thinking getting an acceptable appearance might be difficult. ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/13/2016 2:57 PM, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

A good fabricator who does commercial kitchens should be able to make
you a bespoke sink. Probably won't be cheap, they might not even want to
get involved.

If you can find an off the shelf one which is OK apart from the flanges,
it's not too difficult to trim them (with an angle grinder, of course)
although you may lose some of the overall stiffness. You might be able
to recover that with judicious placement of (say) 18 mm ply, or a
fabricator might make an external "basket", or weld suitable stiffeners
on the outside. There are various options for making the front face
"presentable". One would be with a custom plywood infill which could
either be painted or tiled, another would be to get a stainless
fabricator to make a suitable insert.