Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Re-surface Belfast sink

Can one re-surface a ceramic sink in any satisfactory way?
My wife wants to get a new Belfast sink
because she thinks the surface of the present one has deteriorated.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/14 12:31, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can one re-surface a ceramic sink in any satisfactory way?
My wife wants to get a new Belfast sink
because she thinks the surface of the present one has deteriorated.

Essentially no you cant.

scratches can be buffed out, but crazing and chips are less tractable.

I simply dose ours with conc. NaOH regularly to get the stains out of
the cracks and it keeps SWMBO reasonably happy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 30/07/14 12:31, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can one re-surface a ceramic sink in any satisfactory way?
My wife wants to get a new Belfast sink
because she thinks the surface of the present one has deteriorated.

Essentially no you cant.

scratches can be buffed out, but crazing and chips are less tractable.

I simply dose ours with conc. NaOH regularly to get the stains out of
the cracks and it keeps SWMBO reasonably happy

I'd never let her have one. We gave up using them over half a century
ago for the very good reason that stainless is so much better and
doesn't destroy crockery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/14 13:01, Capitol wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 30/07/14 12:31, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can one re-surface a ceramic sink in any satisfactory way?
My wife wants to get a new Belfast sink
because she thinks the surface of the present one has deteriorated.

Essentially no you cant.

scratches can be buffed out, but crazing and chips are less tractable.

I simply dose ours with conc. NaOH regularly to get the stains out of
the cracks and it keeps SWMBO reasonably happy

I'd never let her have one. We gave up using them over half a
century ago for the very good reason that stainless is so much better
and doesn't destroy crockery.

I probably agree...privately

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can one re-surface a ceramic sink in any satisfactory way?
My wife wants to get a new Belfast sink
because she thinks the surface of the present one has deteriorated.

You also need one of these.
http://www.tweekgeek.com/bybee-holographic-ac-adapter/
and one of these.
http://www.tweekgeek.com/pranawire-photon-usb/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:lranoq$7uf$1
@news.albasani.net:

On 30/07/14 13:01, Capitol wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 30/07/14 12:31, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can one re-surface a ceramic sink in any satisfactory way?
My wife wants to get a new Belfast sink
because she thinks the surface of the present one has deteriorated.

Essentially no you cant.

scratches can be buffed out, but crazing and chips are less tractable.

I simply dose ours with conc. NaOH regularly to get the stains out of
the cracks and it keeps SWMBO reasonably happy

I'd never let her have one. We gave up using them over half a
century ago for the very good reason that stainless is so much better
and doesn't destroy crockery.

I probably agree...privately

I have a neighbour who tried to persuade us to have one because "you need
one if you want to fill a bucket under the sink tap". Strange woman - I can
fill a bucket in our ordinary SS sink or at the outside tap. Strange
fixation!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

I'd never let her have one. We gave up using them over half a century
ago for the very good reason that stainless is so much better and
doesn't destroy crockery.

Actually, she wants a stainless steel sink.
She chose the Belfast sink originally - was very keen on it -
but I think it would be quite difficult
to install a stainless steel sink in our kitchen
without a bit of - probably ugly - carpentry.
The kitchen was made by a carpenter with hardwood working surface
(I think teak) and looks very well, IMO.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:39:28 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

When we get our kitchen redone, eventually, we'll be after a
double-sink double drainer in SS, if we can find one.

They are about, might need to look at commercial kitchen suppliers
rather than doemstic and definately not the sheds. Not going that big
here large 1 1/2 bowl single drainer will do BUT with the bottom of
the over flow at least 1 1/2" below the rim and the bowl at least 6"
deeper than that. Also made left or right handed so no stupid leaky
plugged hole(s) on the front edge like the cheapy shed things.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/ Also made left or right handed so no stupid leaky
plugged hole(s) on the front edge like the cheapy shed things/q

Useful plugged with a liquid detergent pump dispenser....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
When we get our kitchen redone, eventually, we'll be after a
double-sink double drainer in SS, if we can find one.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pyramis-ki...-steel-2-bowl-
double-sized-drainer-2000-x-600mm/70892#

--
Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 30/07/14 22:30, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Sam Plusnet
wrote:

In article ,
says...
When we get our kitchen redone, eventually, we'll be after a
double-sink double drainer in SS, if we can find one.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pyramis-ki...el-2-bowl-doub
le-sized-drainer-2000-x-600mm/70892#

Juss the job, ta.

be aware that's (a) very expensive and (b) looks like it is designed to
go right back to the wall.

Yes, thass what we want. The one shown has a nice vertical lip at the
back that I hope can be tiled over. That would be two metres of units
that would neither have nor need worktop.

But we'll have to see what's available at the time we get the work done.

Must be my eyes but I see no tap holes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can one re-surface a ceramic sink in any satisfactory way?
My wife wants to get a new Belfast sink
because she thinks the surface of the present one has deteriorated.

You also need one of these.
http://www.tweekgeek.com/bybee-holographic-ac-adapter/
and one of these.
http://www.tweekgeek.com/pranawire-photon-usb/

Posted in error meant for different thread.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can one re-surface a ceramic sink in any satisfactory way?
My wife wants to get a new Belfast sink
because she thinks the surface of the present one has deteriorated.

You also need one of these.
http://www.tweekgeek.com/bybee-holographic-ac-adapter/
and one of these.
http://www.tweekgeek.com/pranawire-photon-usb/

Posted in error meant for different thread.

OK, but surely either (or preferably both) of those would improve the
sound of your washing up just as much as they'd improve the sound of
your music.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2014 12:31, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can one re-surface a ceramic sink in any satisfactory way?
My wife wants to get a new Belfast sink
because she thinks the surface of the present one has deteriorated.

This any use .... video on resurface ceramic sink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLiqaFfRbwU

or

There are several companies who will fully resurface the sink for you:
http://www.thebathbusiness.co.uk/bat...antique-sinks/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:23:00 PM UTC+1, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Capitol wrote:

I'd never let her have one. We gave up using them over half a century

ago for the very good reason that stainless is so much better and

doesn't destroy crockery.

Actually, she wants a stainless steel sink.

She chose the Belfast sink originally - was very keen on it -

but I think it would be quite difficult

to install a stainless steel sink in our kitchen

without a bit of - probably ugly - carpentry.

Stainless steel Belfast sinks are available.

A quick Google shows them starting around £300
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:52:31 -0700 (PDT), JimK wrote:

Also made left or right handed so no stupid leaky plugged hole(s)

on
the front edge like the cheapy shed things/q

Useful plugged with a liquid detergent pump dispenser....

Just where it's going to be in the way all the time.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Just where it's going to be in the way all the time.
/q

?? Never bothered us for years? Are you er short?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 00:03:47 +0100, bm
wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pyramis-ki...s-steel-2-bowl
-dou
ble-sized-drainer-2000-x-600mm/70892#

be aware that's (a) very expensive and ...

190 squid? I thought that was a good price, it's big... I'd want to
have good look at one a see what guage sheet it's been pressed from.
Not all sinks are created equal...

The 6" deep worried me but our current sink is that deep but the
overflow is too high. I'd like 7" deep and overflow an inch lower.

(b) looks like it is designed to go right back to the wall.

Yes, thass what we want. The one shown has a nice vertical lip at

the
back that I hope can be tiled over.

Probably not but at least down to.

Must be my eyes but I see no tap holes.

Nor mine but the blurb says it has two.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:06:06 -0700 (PDT), JimK wrote:

Just where it's going to be in the way all the time.

?? Never bothered us for years? Are you er short?

No, but front center seems very odd place to put a pump action soap
dispenser.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article , Capitol
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 30/07/14 12:31, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can one re-surface a ceramic sink in any satisfactory way?
My wife wants to get a new Belfast sink
because she thinks the surface of the present one has deteriorated.

Essentially no you cant.

scratches can be buffed out, but crazing and chips are less tractable.

I simply dose ours with conc. NaOH regularly to get the stains out of
the cracks and it keeps SWMBO reasonably happy

I'd never let her have one. We gave up using them over half a century
ago for the very good reason that stainless is so much better and
doesn't destroy crockery.

When we get our kitchen redone, eventually, we'll be after a
double-sink double drainer in SS, if we can find one. None of this
sit-on rubbish, that prevents you from sweeping water from the drainer
into the sink, and none of this offer-up-from-underneath business, with
its consequent and subsequent leaks

Very similar to my requirement 10+ years ago.
1 1/2 bowl single drainer, and very low rim to seal on the worktop.
IKEA was the only supplier I could find, so that just left me to
fight with coupling up a Swedish waste to UK waste-pipe.
The IKEA sink has lasted very well - still looks pretty much brand
new, and the worktop seal worked perfectly (and continues to do so).

No idea if their current range of sinks is similar.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

This any use .... video on resurface ceramic sink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLiqaFfRbwU

Thanks very much for your response.

But is this a ceramic sink, like a Belfast sink?
Or is it enameled stainless steel (or other metal)?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

This any use .... video on resurface ceramic sink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLiqaFfRbwU

Thanks very much for your response.

But is this a ceramic sink, like a Belfast sink?
Or is it enameled stainless steel (or other metal)?

states its ceramic

The only way to reglaze is to put it back through a kiln. Spray paints are at best a short lived bodge. Calling them a reglaze is optimistic.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:47:14 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can one re-surface a ceramic sink in any satisfactory way?
My wife wants to get a new Belfast sink
because she thinks the surface of the present one has deteriorated.

You also need one of these.
http://www.tweekgeek.com/bybee-holographic-ac-adapter/
and one of these.
http://www.tweekgeek.com/pranawire-photon-usb/