Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brexit/Eurovision similarities?

Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France, Germany, Italy
and Spain who are automatically allowed to participate in the final as they
are the five biggest financial contributors.
So we throw heaps of cash at it and get virtually zero votes (not that we
can write a decent entry). Do they think - stuff the Brits but we'll take
their money?

A bit like the EU?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...
Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France, Germany,
Italy and Spain who are automatically allowed to participate in the final
as they are the five biggest financial contributors.

My country is Great.

No such thing as Great "France, Germany,Italy or Spain"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
"bm" wrote in message
web.com...
Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France, Germany,
Italy and Spain who are automatically allowed to participate in the final
as they are the five biggest financial contributors.

My country is Great.

No such thing as Great "France, Germany,Italy or Spain"

but Little Britain (ie Brittany) is part of France

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in
:

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...
Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France, Germany,
Italy and Spain who are automatically allowed to participate in the
final as they are the five biggest financial contributors.

My country is Great.

No such thing as Great "France, Germany,Italy or Spain"

"Great" means it includes lots of bits - Like "Greater London"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
"ARW" wrote in
:

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...
Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France, Germany,
Italy and Spain who are automatically allowed to participate in the
final as they are the five biggest financial contributors.

My country is Great.

No such thing as Great "France, Germany,Italy or Spain"

"Great" means it includes lots of bits - Like "Greater London"

I doubt if Greater London had even be imagined when the term Great Britain
came into use.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
"ARW" wrote in
:

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...
Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France, Germany,
Italy and Spain who are automatically allowed to participate in the
final as they are the five biggest financial contributors.

My country is Great.

No such thing as Great "France, Germany,Italy or Spain"

"Great" means it includes lots of bits - Like "Greater London"

I doubt if Greater London had even be imagined when the term Great Britain
came into use.

doesn't make his explanation wrong

Just look at the way GB translates into other languages and the word used
for the "G" bit invariably means "Large"

tim

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No I prefer the inept solution. the thing is like the kings new clothes. we
can see that there are big problems, but those who operate the system think
all is working great and nice.

Never confuse downright lies with stupidity, better idiots are being
created all the time.

I have a plan for Eurovision, inspired by some of the 1960s art movements.
We will create a song with silence in it completely. It will be three
minutes long and need no musicians or dancers, it will occur in total
darkness.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"bm" wrote in message
web.com...
Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France, Germany,
Italy and Spain who are automatically allowed to participate in the final
as they are the five biggest financial contributors.
So we throw heaps of cash at it and get virtually zero votes (not that we
can write a decent entry). Do they think - stuff the Brits but we'll take
their money?

A bit like the EU?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 May 2016 22:13:31 +0100, ARW wrote:

My country is Great.

No such thing as Great "France, Germany,Italy or Spain"

Actually, the country is "United". Which, clearly, it isn't. Just as so
many countries with "Democratic" in their name weren't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2016 22:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
"ARW" wrote in
:

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...
Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France, Germany,
Italy and Spain who are automatically allowed to participate in the
final as they are the five biggest financial contributors.

My country is Great.

No such thing as Great "France, Germany,Italy or Spain"

"Great" means it includes lots of bits - Like "Greater London"

Also Greater France (France and its overseas Departments), Greater
Germany (Hitler's ambition), Greater Spain (Falangist ambition for Spain
to include Gibraltar and Portugal) and Greater Portugal (Nationalist
proposal, which would incorporate parts of Spain).

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2016 05:11, charles wrote:
In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
"ARW" wrote in
:

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...
Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France, Germany,
Italy and Spain who are automatically allowed to participate in the
final as they are the five biggest financial contributors.

My country is Great.

No such thing as Great "France, Germany,Italy or Spain"

"Great" means it includes lots of bits - Like "Greater London"

I doubt if Greater London had even be imagined when the term Great Britain
came into use.

It was first officially called Great Britain in 1474, when London had a
population of around 60,000, so you are probably right.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff posted

I have a plan for Eurovision, inspired by some of the 1960s art movements.
We will create a song with silence in it completely. It will be three
minutes long and need no musicians or dancers, it will occur in total
darkness.

Good idea, but you'd be sued for plagiarism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4?33?

--
Les
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 22:23:51 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
"bm" wrote in message
web.com...
Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France, Germany,
Italy and Spain who are automatically allowed to participate in the final
as they are the five biggest financial contributors.

My country is Great.

No such thing as Great "France, Germany,Italy or Spain"

but Little Britain (ie Brittany) is part of France.

But they only have one Breast :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Nightjar cpb" "insert my surname here.me.uk" Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2016 05:11, charles wrote:
In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
"ARW" wrote in
:

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...
Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France, Germany,
Italy and Spain who are automatically allowed to participate in the
final as they are the five biggest financial contributors.

My country is Great.

No such thing as Great "France, Germany,Italy or Spain"

"Great" means it includes lots of bits - Like "Greater London"

I doubt if Greater London had even be imagined when the term Great Britain
came into use.

It was first officially called Great Britain in 1474, when London had a
population of around 60,000, so you are probably right.

Wonder if they meant grate?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim...
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
"ARW" wrote in
:

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...
Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France,
Germany, Italy and Spain who are automatically allowed to
participate in the final as they are the five biggest financial
contributors.

My country is Great.

No such thing as Great "France, Germany,Italy or Spain"

"Great" means it includes lots of bits - Like "Greater London"

I doubt if Greater London had even be imagined when the term Great
Britain came into use.

doesn't make his explanation wrong

Just look at the way GB translates into other languages and the word used
for the "G" bit invariably means "Large"

precisely - as opposed to "little Britain" aka Brittany

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 11 May 2016 14:12:44 UTC+1, jim wrote:
"Nightjar cpb" "insert my surname here.me.uk" Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2016 05:11, charles wrote:
In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
"ARW" wrote in
:

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...
Isn't it great, we're one of the "Big 5", along with France, Germany,
Italy and Spain who are automatically allowed to participate in the
final as they are the five biggest financial contributors.

My country is Great.

No such thing as Great "France, Germany,Italy or Spain"

"Great" means it includes lots of bits - Like "Greater London"

I doubt if Greater London had even be imagined when the term Great Britain
came into use.

It was first officially called Great Britain in 1474, when London had a
population of around 60,000, so you are probably right.

Wonder if they meant grate?

Or Gate Britain entry for all ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Great Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales, where as Britain
is just England and Wales.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2016 15:54, DerbyBorn wrote:

Great Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales, where as Britain
is just England and Wales.

Doesn't the British Isles include ROI?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/16 16:12, Fredxxx wrote:
On 14/05/2016 15:54, DerbyBorn wrote:

Great Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales, where as Britain
is just England and Wales.

Doesn't the British Isles include ROI?

The British Isles is not Great Britain.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Is not the
British Isles either.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 May 2016 14:54:01 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Great Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales, where as
Britain is just England and Wales.

No.

England and Wales are... England and Wales.
GB is E/S/W.
UK is UK of GB and NI.

The UK is the only country of the lot, by any meaningful definition of
the word "country".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 May 2016 16:12:57 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

Doesn't the British Isles include ROI?

Yes.

British Isles is a geological construct, not any kind of meaningful
political use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/16 16:26, Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2016 14:54:01 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Great Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales, where as
Britain is just England and Wales.

No.

England and Wales are... England and Wales.
GB is E/S/W.
UK is UK of GB and NI.

The UK is the only country of the lot, by any meaningful definition of
the word "country".

No, it isn't. Scotland Wales and England are defined as countries as is
I believe N I and possibly manx and channel islands.

UK is a 'kingdom'. I.e a realm with a single monarch, or 'king' as
opposed to scotland, which is a country, because its run by ****s.

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/16 16:26, Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2016 16:12:57 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

Doesn't the British Isles include ROI?

Yes.

British Isles is a geological construct, not any kind of meaningful
political use.

At last a true statement! that's one today!

Oh no, its not true. The British isles is NOT a geological construct,
its a geographic construct.

Back to Dunces Corner for you again, then.

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2016 15:54, DerbyBorn wrote:

Great Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales, where as Britain
is just England and Wales.

The OED states that Britain is the island containing England, Wales and
Scotland. It equates it with Great Britain.

--
Colin Bignell

OT Brexit myths harry UK diy 16 May 9th 16 09:15 AM
Brexit [email protected] UK diy 76 September 28th 15 10:41 AM
Brexit [email protected] Woodworking 5 September 26th 15 02:34 PM
OT. EU and Brexit harryagain[_2_] UK diy 5 April 12th 14 04:51 PM