Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED strip light over workbench?

The tube in the fluorescent light over my workbench in the cellar has
failed. Before buying another (T8 36W 4ft) I thought I'd look into a
new LED-based fitting of similar size. I've looked at the TLC, Ikea,
& Wickes but not found anything. Am I imagining that such a thing
exists?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2016 15:52, Adam Funk wrote:
The tube in the fluorescent light over my workbench in the cellar has
failed. Before buying another (T8 36W 4ft) I thought I'd look into a
new LED-based fitting of similar size. I've looked at the TLC, Ikea,
& Wickes but not found anything. Am I imagining that such a thing
exists?

It appears they do:

http://www.bltdirect.com/4ft-led-t8-tubes-1200mm

Though quite how an 18W tube saves 80% of the energy consumption of a
36W is beyond me.

I'd check the lumens too as I am exceptionally suspicious of all this
"equivalent" nonsense.

This LED one:

http://www.bltdirect.com/4ft-led-t8-...6w-alternative

says 2000 lm, but a Wickes fluorescent:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-4ft-3...-Tube/p/162293

says 3450 lm.

I smell a rat.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 May 2016 16:06:10 +0100, Jon Connell
wrote:

[...]

Aren't the LED tubes 'directional' so potentially all the light would
be going in one general direction, rather than disappearing off into
the roof space / whatever (I think this might have come up here a
while back)?

Therefore, the 'effective' light output in the required (uni)direction
might be better than the light from an a generally omni directional
fluorescent tube, assuming the more scattered light isn't better for
overall illumination etc.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 May 2016 16:00:05 UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:
The tube in the fluorescent light over my workbench in the cellar has
failed. Before buying another (T8 36W 4ft) I thought I'd look into a
new LED-based fitting of similar size. I've looked at the TLC, Ikea,
& Wickes but not found anything. Am I imagining that such a thing
exists?

Go to banggood.com. Keep an eye on the mains safety details before buying.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 May 2016 16:00:05 UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:
The tube in the fluorescent light over my workbench in the cellar has
failed. Before buying another (T8 36W 4ft) I thought I'd look into a
new LED-based fitting of similar size. I've looked at the TLC, Ikea,
& Wickes but not found anything. Am I imagining that such a thing
exists?

depending on what you are doing in the workshop, when they were discussing going LED here the subject of rotating machines came up and how some LED lights might cause problems, and would need special diffusers fitted to reduce or ellimminate possible flicker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 May 2016 08:51:07 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 5 May 2016 16:00:05 UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:
The tube in the fluorescent light over my workbench in the cellar has
failed. Before buying another (T8 36W 4ft) I thought I'd look into a
new LED-based fitting of similar size. I've looked at the TLC, Ikea,
& Wickes but not found anything. Am I imagining that such a thing
exists?

depending on what you are doing in the workshop, when they were discussing going LED here the subject of rotating machines came up and how some LED lights might cause problems, and would need special diffusers fitted to reduce or ellimminate possible flicker.

Are there diffusers that add persistence then and in any case I
thought most (so not discounting 'some' of course g) LED lamps ran
from fully rectified DC so there shouldn't be much flicker in the
first place?

Interested to know for the new workshop lights (around the lathe).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
The tube in the fluorescent light over my workbench in the cellar has
failed. Before buying another (T8 36W 4ft) I thought I'd look into a
new LED-based fitting of similar size. I've looked at the TLC, Ikea,
& Wickes but not found anything. Am I imagining that such a thing
exists?

Local electrical wholesalers?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Jon Connell" wrote in message
[...]

Directional lighting.

It's not a rat.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Connell wrote:
[...]

I got one from aldi And checked the output against a fluoro and it was
similar.It starts a lot quicker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 5 May 2016 16:00:05 UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:
The tube in the fluorescent light over my workbench in the cellar has
failed. Before buying another (T8 36W 4ft) I thought I'd look into a
new LED-based fitting of similar size. I've looked at the TLC, Ikea,
& Wickes but not found anything. Am I imagining that such a thing
exists?

depending on what you are doing in the workshop, when they were discussing going LED here the subject of rotating machines came up and how some LED lights might cause problems, and would need special diffusers fitted to reduce or ellimminate possible flicker.

Fluoros were notorious for the same thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is this due to the directionality of leds, perhaps. If you measure the light
from a tube from all around it will be higher as its omnidirectional.
I still find the normal tubes seem better to most people who use them at
the moment though they may well be less efficient.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-05-06, F Murtz wrote:

whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 5 May 2016 16:00:05 UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:
The tube in the fluorescent light over my workbench in the cellar has
failed. Before buying another (T8 36W 4ft) I thought I'd look into a
new LED-based fitting of similar size. I've looked at the TLC, Ikea,
& Wickes but not found anything. Am I imagining that such a thing
exists?

depending on what you are doing in the workshop, when they were
discussing going LED here the subject of rotating machines came
up and how some LED lights might cause problems, and would need
special diffusers fitted to reduce or ellimminate possible
flicker.

Fluoros were notorious for the same thing.

That's what I thought. I don't have a lathe or any big/fixed power
tools, just handheld ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Go to banggood.com. Keep an eye on the mains safety details before buying.

I hadn't heard of that site before, but there's a lot of weird,
interesting stuff. Thanks.

Bangood are pretty reliable, sometimes shave the price on an item by checking it on ebay. dx.com are similar , both have a limited range available from EU warehouses for faster delivery.

For bench lighting , TS no brand T5`s are a good value4 option

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ligh...Fitting/p63995
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-05-05, Adam Funk wrote:

The tube in the fluorescent light over my workbench in the cellar has
failed. Before buying another (T8 36W 4ft) I thought I'd look into a
new LED-based fitting of similar size. I've looked at the TLC, Ikea,
& Wickes but not found anything. Am I imagining that such a thing
exists?

Thanks for all the advice, but when I saw the price of a new
fluorescent tube I just bought it.

Took it downstairs, swapped it in, thought "it's not coming on --- if
the ballast is bad I'll be miffed!", then realized I'd taken the
starter out to stop it from flickering.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
F Murtz wrote:
depending on what you are doing in the workshop, when they were
discussing going LED here the subject of rotating machines came up and
how some LED lights might cause problems, and would need special
diffusers fitted to reduce or ellimminate possible flicker.

Fluoros were notorious for the same thing.

Those which ran at mains frequency, yes. Modern high efficiency one run at
a much higher frequency. Perhaps 30,000 Hz.

LEDs are basically DC devices. So don't follow the on/off cycle of the
mains. Some are pulsed, as this allows a longer life at high output, but
don't think this applies to many domestic ones.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

LED light strip D.M. Procida UK diy 4 December 9th 12 10:57 AM
slimline strip light VisionSet UK diy 11 April 4th 07 07:24 PM
Strip Light - poor design john UK diy 5 January 8th 06 12:47 AM
Strip light John Edgar UK diy 12 January 17th 05 12:02 PM
replacing flourescent strip light Neil Catley UK diy 2 October 12th 03 07:32 AM