Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default If I moved house the first thing you'd add would be what and why?

For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Our Bristol water comes from the Sharpness canal and is kind of hard but
not super hard however since fitting the softener a number of years back
I've gone from cleaning (scraping) the shower doors with a Stanley knife
blade and a bottle of Viakal (sp) every week to a random rub-over with
my hand once a month or so when taking a shower.

So without any question the Water Softener is right up there in top slot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2016 00:38, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Our Bristol water comes from the Sharpness canal and is kind of hard but
not super hard however since fitting the softener a number of years back
I've gone from cleaning (scraping) the shower doors with a Stanley knife
blade and a bottle of Viakal (sp) every week to a random rub-over with
my hand once a month or so when taking a shower.

So without any question the Water Softener is right up there in top slot.

Quite possibly, ceiling fans. Since adding them quite a few years ago,
we have been so much more comfortable in the hottest part of the year.

I'd address the hard water by moving somewhere that the water is soft!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or move to an area with softer water.
I'd add a downstairs loo, and my new pad would have cavity walls with
insulation etc.

I think I'd also like it to be far enough away from other people that there
would be no radio interference from nasty power supplies and powerline
internet adaptors and I could once again enjoy the short waves and vhf
listening.

However a hot line to the doctor would also be handy!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message ...

For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Our Bristol water comes from the Sharpness canal and is kind of hard but
not super hard however since fitting the softener a number of years back
I've gone from cleaning (scraping) the shower doors with a Stanley knife
blade and a bottle of Viakal (sp) every week to a random rub-over with
my hand once a month or so when taking a shower.

So without any question the Water Softener is right up there in top slot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote in message

For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Our Bristol water comes from the Sharpness canal and is kind of hard but
not super hard however since fitting the softener a number of years back
I've gone from cleaning (scraping) the shower doors with a Stanley knife
blade and a bottle of Viakal (sp) every week to a random rub-over with
my hand once a month or so when taking a shower.

So without any question the Water Softener is right up there in top slot.

If it was a hard water area then yes, definitely a softener. Closely
followed by wet underfloor heating and an instant boiling water tap in the
kitchen. I added both the later to our house during a refurb a few years
back and they've both proved well worth while. I'm assuming that in this day
and age double glazing, deep loft insulation, and cavity insulation where
possible are taken as granted (We had to do all o these on our place)

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 00:38:59 UTC+1, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Our Bristol water comes from the Sharpness canal and is kind of hard but
not super hard however since fitting the softener a number of years back
I've gone from cleaning (scraping) the shower doors with a Stanley knife
blade and a bottle of Viakal (sp) every week to a random rub-over with
my hand once a month or so when taking a shower.

So without any question the Water Softener is right up there in top slot.

Dishwasher etc, ceiling fans, secondary glazing if needed, bleachable carpets when carpeting, clean carpets, sort out security of external doors (new lock cylinders or locks, screw the whatsit plate into the brickwork, 2 locks per door, add viewer & chain if necessary), board & light the loft, add sockets if the wiring's old, net curtains if necessary, some bathroom windows need more obscurity, sort out lighting in many cases, etc.

What comes first depends on the state of the place.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 08:36:07 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Or move to an area with softer water.

Or have the Water Co change the source. They did here(*), from an
adit in limestone about a mile away to Burnhope Reservoir over in
Weardale.
The adit water was hardish but the scale was pure white and the
kettle only needed a descale every month or two. Unlike St Albans,
scale all manner of greens and blues and kettle needing a descale
almost every week.
We've been on the Burnhope water for years now and have not required
to descale the kettle at all. All we get is a very thin brown
deposit.

I'd add a downstairs loo, and my new pad would have cavity walls with
insulation etc.

Good levels of insulation and double glazing, solar thermal and wood
burner, not a modern rabbit hutch on an housing estate, what one
would add depends on what it has...

I think I'd also like it to be far enough away from other people that
there would be no radio interference from nasty power supplies and
powerline internet adaptors and I could once again enjoy the short waves
and vhf listening.

I've not seriously tried SW here, nearest neighbours 1/4 a mile away,
village over a mile. However portable SW sets are still covered in
shash from all the kit we have. I guess one is in control of that
though and can turn it off...

However a hot line to the doctor would also be handy!

That one is slowly rising up the priorities. B-(

(*) Actually the Wter Co just did it rather than our request.
Installed a brand new 6" plastic main all the way, about 20 km.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 00:38:59 UTC+1, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

The first thing that goes in for me is the extension radio speaker in the bathroom.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/16 00:38, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Our Bristol water comes from the Sharpness canal and is kind of hard but
not super hard however since fitting the softener a number of years back
I've gone from cleaning (scraping) the shower doors with a Stanley knife
blade and a bottle of Viakal (sp) every week to a random rub-over with
my hand once a month or so when taking a shower.

So without any question the Water Softener is right up there in top slot.

Well that then rapidly followed by a mains pressure hot water tank. I
haven't had a properly hot shower for 8 months with this ****ing combi.

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

First thing I installed was home automation.
It would be hard to go back to a home without it - I've had it for
17 years now, which is longer than I've lived in my current place.
The most important part is intelligent operation of the heating,
including remote control.

Also, when moving in, it's easiest to lay the control wiring under
floors (and doing Cat 5 cabing, etc) whilst you're ripping out the
previous owner's carpets and can get under the floors. (You can go
wireless, but I prefer dedicated control cabling where possible.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2016 07:27, polygonum wrote:
On 21/04/2016 00:38, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Our Bristol water comes from the Sharpness canal and is kind of hard but
not super hard however since fitting the softener a number of years back
I've gone from cleaning (scraping) the shower doors with a Stanley knife
blade and a bottle of Viakal (sp) every week to a random rub-over with
my hand once a month or so when taking a shower.

So without any question the Water Softener is right up there in top slot.

Quite possibly, ceiling fans. Since adding them quite a few years ago,
we have been so much more comfortable in the hottest part of the year.

One of the first things I fitted when we moved in here. Essential IMO.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Or move to an area with softer water.

Mine is already soft enough.

I'd add a downstairs loo,

I got a clue and have everything at one level.

and my new pad would have cavity walls with insulation etc.

I think I'd also like it to be far enough away from other people that
there would be no radio interference from nasty power supplies and
powerline internet adaptors

I don’t bother and find closer neighbours quite handy at times.

and I could once again enjoy the short waves and vhf listening.

However a hot line to the doctor would also be handy!

You could try a nursing home |-(

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message ...

For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Our Bristol water comes from the Sharpness canal and is kind of hard but
not super hard however since fitting the softener a number of years back
I've gone from cleaning (scraping) the shower doors with a Stanley knife
blade and a bottle of Viakal (sp) every week to a random rub-over with
my hand once a month or so when taking a shower.

So without any question the Water Softener is right up there in top slot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:
[...]

IME 54" US ones work better. They run slower on our 50Hz mains.
It's a bit of a pain fitting transformers and rewiring the lighting
part, but the resulting lower noise helps in bedrooms. All ours run on
slow speed most of the time, this is satisfactory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Inside lav. Saves a chilly walk on those long frosty nights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 11:13:29 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Inside lav. Saves a chilly walk on those long frosty nights.

Chimbly.

Hole in the roof is so outdated now, and the Mrs is demanding a mantlepiece she can display the pebble I gave her for Christmas on.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message ...

For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Cat flap - so the cat can **** in the neighbours garden.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 21:35:21 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message ...

For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Cat flap - so the cat can **** in the neighbours garden.

Catmate are much better than the old Staywell design.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We started with the complete re-wire. We've also had it re-thatched
repainted, and an upstairs bathroom put in.

I stripped the patio doors to bare wood and repainted them (surprised to
find they were sound underneath) and repaired some of the parquet floor.
We'll carpet the rest - there isn't enough parquet left for the whole floor.

The new kitchen, refit of the existing downstairs bathroom, and the man
cave are yet to be done.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/16 10:58, Capitol wrote:
David Lang wrote:
[...]

If you want silent operation in a ceiling fan, get one which has a DC
motor. After suffering for years with noisy, buzzing and humming AC
fans, even at their slowest speed, I opted for a DC fan. It has 6 speeds
forward or reverse, and only on the fastest is their any noise - and
that is moving air, not electrical. Yes, they are expensive, but on the
slowest speed use only a few watts.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Our Bristol water comes from the Sharpness canal and is kind of hard but
not super hard however since fitting the softener a number of years back
I've gone from cleaning (scraping) the shower doors with a Stanley knife
blade and a bottle of Viakal (sp) every week to a random rub-over with
my hand once a month or so when taking a shower.

So without any question the Water Softener is right up there in top slot.

I'd move to a house that already had everything I already wanted. (That
wouldn't last long, of course.)

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:
[...]

Cheap ceiling fans, balance the blades & mount the fans with tap washers, and slow is silent. The only significant noise is from air movement on higher settings. Ceiling fans are one item where you don't need expensive. The differences are style options & sometimes a more efficient dc motor. Ac motor fans undergo a good deal of slip at reduced speed, which reduces efficiency.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-04-22, Mike Barnes wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Our Bristol water comes from the Sharpness canal and is kind of hard but
not super hard however since fitting the softener a number of years back
I've gone from cleaning (scraping) the shower doors with a Stanley knife
blade and a bottle of Viakal (sp) every week to a random rub-over with
my hand once a month or so when taking a shower.

So without any question the Water Softener is right up there in top slot.

I'd move to a house that already had everything I already wanted.

Good luck with that. Our 'spec sheet' ran to about 700 pages.

Yes, features would obviously be absent, but as I don't know which, I
can't choose one to go at first.

(Admittedly, it was a joke fictional one.)

I have sometimes wondered what I'd end up with if I designed a house
from scratch to meet all my requirements. The answer is, I probably
wouldn't like it.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-04-22, Mike Barnes wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

[...]

I did. Very much.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 00:38:59 UTC+1, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Our Bristol water comes from the Sharpness canal and is kind of hard but
not super hard however since fitting the softener a number of years back
I've gone from cleaning (scraping) the shower doors with a Stanley knife
blade and a bottle of Viakal (sp) every week to a random rub-over with
my hand once a month or so when taking a shower.

So without any question the Water Softener is right up there in top slot.

Number 1 for me: a Rodney removing filter.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-04-22, Mike Barnes wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

[...]

Me too, tho after living in it for more than 40 years now, there are
certainly a few things I would do differently if I was doing it again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2016 23:14, Jeff Layman wrote:

If you want silent operation in a ceiling fan, get one which has a DC
motor. After suffering for years with noisy, buzzing and humming AC
fans, even at their slowest speed, I opted for a DC fan. It has 6 speeds
forward or reverse, and only on the fastest is their any noise - and
that is moving air, not electrical. Yes, they are expensive, but on the
slowest speed use only a few watts.

Any specific recommendations?

I do like the idea of more speeds - slow medium and fast often miss what
might be the sweet spots.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2016 10:13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
First thing I installed was home automation.
It would be hard to go back to a home without it - I've had it for
17 years now, which is longer than I've lived in my current place.
The most important part is intelligent operation of the heating,
including remote control.

+1 I find a proper programmable thermostat with remote control so much
better than TVSs

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2016 01:10, Michael Chare wrote:
On 21/04/2016 10:13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
First thing I installed was home automation.
It would be hard to go back to a home without it - I've had it for
17 years now, which is longer than I've lived in my current place.
The most important part is intelligent operation of the heating,
including remote control.

+1 I find a proper programmable thermostat with remote control so much
better than TVSs

No remote control here yet, but we do have individual timer/stats and
motorised valves for each room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 01:38:59 UTC+2, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
For me it would have to be my "EMWC Twin Tank Water Softener".

Our Bristol water comes from the Sharpness canal and is kind of hard but
not super hard however since fitting the softener a number of years back
I've gone from cleaning (scraping) the shower doors with a Stanley knife
blade and a bottle of Viakal (sp) every week to a random rub-over with
my hand once a month or so when taking a shower.

So without any question the Water Softener is right up there in top slot.

Bookcases.

I've never moved into a house with enough bookcases, and I can't finish
unpacking until I've got the bookcases fitted.