Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multi function detector

I have had a metal/stud/live cable detector for close on ten years. It
always worked fine for all but the stud detection mode, where it just
seemed to radomly detect none existant studs in fresh air.

Today I finally worked out how to use the stud detection system, you
don't point the tip at the wall, as with the other modes - you lay it
flat against the plaster board - now I know how to use it, works great.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/04/2016 19:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have had a metal/stud/live cable detector for close on ten years. It
always worked fine for all but the stud detection mode, where it just
seemed to radomly detect none existant studs in fresh air.

Today I finally worked out how to use the stud detection system, you
don't point the tip at the wall, as with the other modes - you lay it
flat against the plaster board - now I know how to use it, works great.

I take it that the instructions were thrown away with the packaging?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have had a metal/stud/live cable detector for close on ten years. It
always worked fine for all but the stud detection mode, where it just
seemed to radomly detect none existant studs in fresh air.

Today I finally worked out how to use the stud detection system, you
don't point the tip at the wall, as with the other modes - you lay it
flat against the plaster board - now I know how to use it, works great.

These work well:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanson-03040...ilpage_o01_s00
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2016 22:13, Capitol wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have had a metal/stud/live cable detector for close on ten years. It
always worked fine for all but the stud detection mode, where it just
seemed to radomly detect none existant studs in fresh air.

Today I finally worked out how to use the stud detection system, you
don't point the tip at the wall, as with the other modes - you lay it
flat against the plaster board - now I know how to use it, works great.

These work well:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanson-03040...ilpage_o01_s00

That only finds nails, screws, metal studwork etc? Not copper pipe or
cable?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Current new builds are using foil backed plasterboard - the *******s.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2016 22:13, Capitol wrote:

These work well:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanson-03040...ilpage_o01_s00

Probably not too well for lath and plaster stud walls. Nor possibly
when the wall has been tiled. I've tried strong Neodymium magnets in
the past without success.

For lath and plaster I've found the Ziron M40 metal detector ideal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwmAME_Vw_E

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB a écrit :
On 16/04/2016 19:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have had a metal/stud/live cable detector for close on ten years. It
always worked fine for all but the stud detection mode, where it just
seemed to radomly detect none existant studs in fresh air.

Today I finally worked out how to use the stud detection system, you
don't point the tip at the wall, as with the other modes - you lay it
flat against the plaster board - now I know how to use it, works great.

I take it that the instructions were thrown away with the packaging?

Yep! Who bothers to read the instructions anyway ? lol
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You find some odd things in walls. I remember when my father, who is no
longer with us first came to this house he wanted to put up somewall lights,
which meant chasing out some of the wals plaster. It seems that for no
obvious reason, under the plaster were some weird triangular bits of metal
plate with serations on the wall side. They seemed to hav no purpose
whatsoever as far as anyone could see. Those encountered wiere simply taken
out and the wall replastered. Very odd. 1939 build of internal wall between
kitchen and living room. All I can imagine was that it was used as some form
of level of some kind.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
GB a écrit :
On 16/04/2016 19:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have had a metal/stud/live cable detector for close on ten years. It
always worked fine for all but the stud detection mode, where it just
seemed to radomly detect none existant studs in fresh air.

Today I finally worked out how to use the stud detection system, you
don't point the tip at the wall, as with the other modes - you lay it
flat against the plaster board - now I know how to use it, works great.

I take it that the instructions were thrown away with the packaging?

Yep! Who bothers to read the instructions anyway ? lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have had a metal/stud/live cable detector for close on ten years. It
always worked fine for all but the stud detection mode, where it just
seemed to radomly detect none existant studs in fresh air.

Today I finally worked out how to use the stud detection system, you
don't point the tip at the wall, as with the other modes - you lay it
flat against the plaster board - now I know how to use it, works great.

These work well:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanson-03040...ilpage_o01_s00

That only finds nails, screws, metal studwork etc? Not copper pipe or
cable?

Finding studs is always the problem. These magnetic detectors
give the location of the fixings every time IME. Finding pipes and wires
needs a different detector so you need two. I've never found an
ultrasonic stud detector which was reliable every time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have had a metal/stud/live cable detector for close on ten years. It
always worked fine for all but the stud detection mode, where it just
seemed to radomly detect none existant studs in fresh air.

Today I finally worked out how to use the stud detection system, you
don't point the tip at the wall, as with the other modes - you lay it
flat against the plaster board - now I know how to use it, works great.

These work well:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanson-03040...ilpage_o01_s00

That only finds nails, screws, metal studwork etc? Not copper pipe or
cable?

Finding studs is always the problem. These magnetic detectors give
the location of the fixings every time IME. Finding pipes and wires needs a
different detector so you need two. I've never found an ultrasonic stud
detector which was reliable every time.

Its not ultrasonic - it uses change in capacitance to find the studs
and now I know how its supposed to be used, I finding it rather
effective.