Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. New super strong material invented.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/carbyne-sci...m_campaign=rss
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thing that worries me a bit about all of these claims is what happened to
the Space Shuttle Columbia where a supposedly super strong carbon carbon
laminate separated and became weak enough to crack when some ice hit it at
launch then fell to bits on orbit causing the loss of the crew on re entry.
There does in the engineering world seem to be a string of issues over
fatigue and unforeseen damage modes which lead to catastrophic failures.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"harry" wrote in message
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/carbyne-sci...m_campaign=rss

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/16 10:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
Thing that worries me a bit about all of these claims is what happened to
the Space Shuttle Columbia where a supposedly super strong carbon carbon
laminate separated and became weak enough to crack when some ice hit it at
launch then fell to bits on orbit causing the loss of the crew on re entry.
There does in the engineering world seem to be a string of issues over
fatigue and unforeseen damage modes which lead to catastrophic failures.
Brian

IIRC that was ceramic tiles, not carbon fibre

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/15/2016 10:44 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Thing that worries me a bit about all of these claims is what happened to
the Space Shuttle Columbia where a supposedly super strong carbon carbon
laminate separated and became weak enough to crack when some ice hit it at
launch then fell to bits on orbit causing the loss of the crew on re entry.
There does in the engineering world seem to be a string of issues over
fatigue and unforeseen damage modes which lead to catastrophic failures.
Brian

In, IIRC, the complete science of strong materials there is a nice story
about a researcher who, about 50 years ago, developed a new polymer with
more, and stronger, bonds than any other current polymer. I think it was
described as having the same mechanical properties as cheese.

But going back to disasters, this is how we progress. It is perhaps
worth differentiating between cases like the Comet fatigue failures,
which involved new technology, and the Challenger, where the problems
and risks were relatively well understood, but over-ruled by project guys.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/16 12:36, newshound wrote:
[...]

Challenger was a bureaucratic cockup.

Bit like Chernobyl. The thing was taken beyond safe limits, possibly
knowingly.

Columbia was slightly different. They knew damage was occurring due to
'foam shed', but got away with it three times and got blasé...

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2016 09:40, harry wrote:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/carbyne-sci...m_campaign=rss

Never mind that what happens when you synthesis it using silicon to
replace carbon?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:
Thing that worries me a bit about all of these claims is what happened to
the Space Shuttle Columbia where a supposedly super strong carbon carbon
laminate separated and became weak enough to crack when some ice hit it at
launch then fell to bits on orbit causing the loss of the crew on re entry.
There does in the engineering world seem to be a string of issues over
fatigue and unforeseen damage modes which lead to catastrophic failures.
Brian

The loss of Columbia resulted from the damage to the ceramic lies. The
damaged tiles provided a pathway for the heat of reentry to renter the
structure.

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2016 16:38, dennis@home wrote:
On 15/04/2016 09:40, harry wrote:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/carbyne-sci...m_campaign=rss

Never mind that what happens when you synthesis it using silicon to
replace carbon?

It would probably be unstable in the presence of oxygen or water.
The Si-O bond is very strong and stable, much more so than Si-Si, so
forms preferably whenever it can.
Silicones consist of long Si-O-Si-O-Si chains, not Si-Si-Si-.

However the C-C bond is also strong and stable, even in the presence of
oxygen.

--
Reentrant