Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laying a patio

I have been given two basic recommendations for laying a patio (circular nature stone, with curving path of stone paviors laid in stretcher bond):

1. Lay on compacted soil, 100 mm compacted hardcore, followed by 50 mm of 5:1 sand and cement mix, and then jointed with mortar mix.

2. Similar, but use ballast rather than sand for the natural stone to create a concrete bed rather than a sand/cement.

Any comments on which is the better approach?

Andrew.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Haylett wrote:
I have been given two basic recommendations for laying a patio (circular nature stone, with curving path of stone paviors laid in stretcher bond):

1. Lay on compacted soil, 100 mm compacted hardcore, followed by 50 mm of 5:1 sand and cement mix, and then jointed with mortar mix.

2. Similar, but use ballast rather than sand for the natural stone to create a concrete bed rather than a sand/cement.

Any comments on which is the better approach?

Andrew.

I have used 3" of 8:1 sand and cement mix directly on top of a
clay soil. Still flat after 30 years. Only problem is the ants
excavate some of the sand and the odd slab needs resetting every 15 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 00:19:01 UTC+2, Andrew Haylett wrote:
I have been given two basic recommendations for laying a patio (circular nature stone, with curving path of stone paviors laid in stretcher bond):

1. Lay on compacted soil, 100 mm compacted hardcore, followed by 50 mm of
5:1 sand and cement mix, and then jointed with mortar mix.

2. Similar, but use ballast rather than sand for the natural stone to
create a concrete bed rather than a sand/cement.

Any comments on which is the better approach?

See www.pavingexpert.com. As a general rule of thumb, if you follow his
advice it will be built like a brick ****-house. If you are happy with a
lower quality finish, you can afford to skimp.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/13/2016 1:10 PM, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 00:19:01 UTC+2, Andrew Haylett wrote:
I have been given two basic recommendations for laying a patio (circular nature stone, with curving path of stone paviors laid in stretcher bond):

1. Lay on compacted soil, 100 mm compacted hardcore, followed by 50 mm of
5:1 sand and cement mix, and then jointed with mortar mix.

2. Similar, but use ballast rather than sand for the natural stone to
create a concrete bed rather than a sand/cement.

Any comments on which is the better approach?

See www.pavingexpert.com. As a general rule of thumb, if you follow his
advice it will be built like a brick ****-house. If you are happy with a
lower quality finish, you can afford to skimp.

Beat me to it! Laid indian sandstone last year on top of *very* well
compacted earth, minimum 50 mm ballast, then up to 50 mm of 5:1. Used a
plate compactor on the ballast.

patio (re-) laying Fred UK diy 28 July 22nd 10 07:01 PM
Patio Laying mark UK diy 6 March 24th 09 02:44 PM
Laying down a patio Grumps UK diy 12 June 4th 06 08:33 AM
Laying down a patio Phil Anthropist UK diy 0 June 2nd 06 05:40 PM
Laying down a patio Phil L UK diy 1 June 2nd 06 02:11 PM