Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps

Default Laying down a patio

Eddy Young wrote:
Hi all,

I had a few landscapists come round for estimating the cost of doing
our backyard, but unfortunately all quoted more than I budgeted. So
now I am thinking of doing the work myself. I'm OK with mowing and
laying down new turf, but I don't know where to start with the patio.

Anyone care to comment how big a job that will be? Or, am I better
off biting the bullet and cashing out to get it done professionally?

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm
http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/Pat...ld_a_patio.htm

What area is the patio, and how much have you been quoted so far?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps

Eddy Young wrote:
In article , Grumps says...

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm
http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/Pat...ld_a_patio.htm

What area is the patio, and how much have you been quoted so far?

Thanks for the links. Very useful information there, but I am still
not sure whether the amount of work required is within my abilities.

2.5 x 5 sq. metres, cheapest quote £1,700 and highest, £2,500.

If it's of any use, I had my patio laid a few months back by a trusted
outfit (personal recommendation etc). My patio was (IIRC) 3.5x4.2 + a path
of 1.0x4.0, and was £2250 (approx). This included all materials and they
seemed to follow proper rules.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Eddy Young wrote:
In article , Grumps says...

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm
http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/Pat...ld_a_patio.htm

What area is the patio, and how much have you been quoted so far?

Thanks for the links. Very useful information there, but I am still
not sure whether the amount of work required is within my abilities.

2.5 x 5 sq. metres, cheapest quote £1,700 and highest, £2,500.

Eddy

If you ignore the 25m2 of tarmac you want as well, the patio itself is only
12.5 m2.....I could supply and lay any flags or block paving you wanted on
that for less than £400....to block pave (or flag) the lot, which is approx
37m2 it would come in at just less than £1,400, where are you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Grumps wrote:
Eddy Young wrote:
In article , Grumps says...

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm
http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/Pat...ld_a_patio.htm

What area is the patio, and how much have you been quoted so far?

Thanks for the links. Very useful information there, but I am still
not sure whether the amount of work required is within my abilities.

2.5 x 5 sq. metres, cheapest quote £1,700 and highest, £2,500.

If it's of any use, I had my patio laid a few months back by a trusted
outfit (personal recommendation etc). My patio was (IIRC) 3.5x4.2 + a
path of 1.0x4.0, and was £2250 (approx). This included all materials
and they seemed to follow proper rules.

You've got to be kidding?
Your patio was less than 15m2, plus 4m2 for the path and you paid £2250 -
what did they lay, gold ingots?

This works out at almost £120 per m2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Thanks for the links. Very useful information there, but I am still not sure
whether the amount of work required is within my abilities.

The easy answer is to try it. If you fail, you've lost nothing and a
pro can pick up the job from there.
It's really quite simple to do.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps

Phil L wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Eddy Young wrote:
In article , Grumps says...

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm
http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/Pat...ld_a_patio.htm

What area is the patio, and how much have you been quoted so far?

Thanks for the links. Very useful information there, but I am still
not sure whether the amount of work required is within my abilities.

2.5 x 5 sq. metres, cheapest quote £1,700 and highest, £2,500.

If it's of any use, I had my patio laid a few months back by a
trusted outfit (personal recommendation etc). My patio was (IIRC)
3.5x4.2 + a path of 1.0x4.0, and was £2250 (approx). This included
all materials and they seemed to follow proper rules.

You've got to be kidding?
Your patio was less than 15m2, plus 4m2 for the path and you paid
£2250 - what did they lay, gold ingots?

This works out at almost £120 per m2

Actually my patio was 25m2, so I must have my previous measurements wrong.
In any case, maybe I do have gold ingots. WTF do you know?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps

Grumps wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Eddy Young wrote:
In article , Grumps says...

[...]

I also didn't mention that they had to remove a sewer cover, and re-brick
that replacing it with one of those flush fitting jobbies.
And relay the paths on both sides of the house. So perhaps you can only take
a rought comparison of prices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Grumps" contains these words:

Actually my patio was 25m2, so I must have my previous measurements wrong.
In any case, maybe I do have gold ingots. WTF do you know?

Have you had an influx of putative mayors called Dick accompanied by
cats in wellies?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Owain wrote:

How can the weather possibly improve? It can only get hotter, or wetter,
and neither is ideal for working outside.

Ah, but if it is procrastination you seek, then either of them will
help! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Grumps wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Eddy Young wrote:
In article , Grumps says...

[...]

It's been my livelyhood for the past 7 years.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Grumps wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Eddy Young wrote:
In article , Grumps says...

[...]

Or perhaps you were ripped off, just a thought

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps

Phil L wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Eddy Young wrote:
In article , Grumps says...

[...]

IDTS.
Perhaps you just buy ****ty materials and employ pikeys for a rather less
than average job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps

Phil L wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Eddy Young wrote:
In article , Grumps says...

[...]

So, you've been spying on my patio? Are you planning to lift some of my
ingots?