Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Patio Laying

My proposed patio will be made with 450mm slabs. As it is at the back of the
house there will be no vehicles driving on it.

I have lots of sand and it is my intention to lay the slabs on a 100mm bed
of sand which has been dry mixed with a 1:15 cement addition.

Has anyone experience of this method? I appreciate that it is usual to put a
subbase of stone down first but that'll be around £300 extra and I've plenty
of sand.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote

My proposed patio will be made with 450mm slabs. As it is at the back of
the house there will be no vehicles driving on it.

I have lots of sand and it is my intention to lay the slabs on a 100mm bed
of sand which has been dry mixed with a 1:15 cement addition.

Has anyone experience of this method? I appreciate that it is usual to put
a subbase of stone down first but that'll be around £300 extra and I've
plenty of sand.

mark

Is the area well compacted or likely to settle?
I did a similar job years ago as you describe (except 50mm sand/cement dry
mix well stamped down).
But mine was on well compacted ground with significant clay content.
Check out www.pavingexpert.com for qualified advice.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
et...
My proposed patio will be made with 450mm slabs. As it is at the back of
the house there will be no vehicles driving on it.

I have lots of sand and it is my intention to lay the slabs on a 100mm bed
of sand which has been dry mixed with a 1:15 cement addition.

Has anyone experience of this method? I appreciate that it is usual to put
a subbase of stone down first but that'll be around £300 extra and I've
plenty of sand.

Ants are strong....
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Is the area well compacted or likely to settle?
I did a similar job years ago as you describe (except 50mm sand/cement dry
mix well stamped down).
But mine was on well compacted ground with significant clay content.
Check out www.pavingexpert.com for qualified advice.

I looked at this article and found it interesting.
I'm hoping to lay a small patio in part of a garden,
and am not quite sure if I ought to get a professional to lay it.
The soil is very soft in this garden.
I see that the diagram at the end of the above article
shows the slabs laid on a "prepared sub-grade"
covered with a 2in grit/concrete mix.

But what exactly is the "prepared sub-grade"?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
My proposed patio will be made with 450mm slabs. As it is at the back of the
house there will be no vehicles driving on it.

I have lots of sand and it is my intention to lay the slabs on a 100mm bed
of sand which has been dry mixed with a 1:15 cement addition.

Has anyone experience of this method? I appreciate that it is usual to put a
subbase of stone down first but that'll be around £300 extra and I've plenty
of sand.

mark

I laid mine 20 odd years ago on 100mm of sharp sand, and no cement apart
from the edges. No problems so far, but the soil was pretty stony IIRC.
I was doing it a bit at a time, so I just packed the slabs out
individually as I went.
I overdid the fall away from the house a tiny bit, but that's probably a
classic beginner's mistake

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
TheScullster wrote:

Is the area well compacted or likely to settle?
I did a similar job years ago as you describe (except 50mm sand/cement
dry
mix well stamped down).
But mine was on well compacted ground with significant clay content.
Check out www.pavingexpert.com for qualified advice.

I looked at this article and found it interesting.
I'm hoping to lay a small patio in part of a garden,
and am not quite sure if I ought to get a professional to lay it.
The soil is very soft in this garden.
I see that the diagram at the end of the above article
shows the slabs laid on a "prepared sub-grade"
covered with a 2in grit/concrete mix.

But what exactly is the "prepared sub-grade"?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

http://www.pavingexpert.com/subgrade.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 24, 10:48*am, "TheScullster" wrote:
"mark" wrote

My proposed patio will be made with 450mm slabs. As it is at the back of
the house there will be no vehicles driving on it.

I have lots of sand and it is my intention to lay the slabs on a 100mm bed
of sand which has been dry mixed with a 1:15 cement addition.

1 Cement to 15 sand !! The ants will think is there birthday. even
the worms will love mixing it in.
More like 5 sand 1 cement

Patio flag laying Sapient Fridge UK diy 14 July 20th 06 06:20 PM
Laying down a patio Grumps UK diy 12 June 4th 06 08:33 AM
Laying down a patio Phil Anthropist UK diy 0 June 2nd 06 05:40 PM
Laying down a patio Phil L UK diy 1 June 2nd 06 02:11 PM
Patio laying advice Círdan Falassion UK diy 2 April 5th 04 11:09 AM