Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Big Clive dissects a crappy 13A dounble socket with USB ports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 07:04:43 UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

The plastic back box looked to be thermoplastic not thermoset too.

I really would expect better for my 99p including free postage :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe him.

2m23s Yes that is me trying to plug in a USB plug.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe him.

I wonder if he knows about high integrity earthing. Are the two
terminals connected together on those kind of sockets? I can't
remember.

That socket is absolute ****e though. It's got a nice smart cover on
the back to hide the ****eness inside.

2m23s Yes that is me trying to plug in a USB plug.

:-)

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/6a30f561...da43ee555a2a25
557fa2eb0fd8da3b80acf_1.gif

or http://tinyurl.com/hlbolql

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) # ik ben Brussel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe
him.

I wonder if he knows about high integrity earthing. Are the two
terminals connected together on those kind of sockets? I can't
remember.

Yes - they are connected together at the socket

That socket is absolute ****e though. It's got a nice smart cover on
the back to hide the ****eness inside.

2m23s Yes that is me trying to plug in a USB plug.

:-)

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/6a30f561...da43ee555a2a25
557fa2eb0fd8da3b80acf_1.gif

or http://tinyurl.com/hlbolql

That's me!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo , ARW
adamwadsworth@blueyond er.co.uk escribió:

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't
believe him.

I wonder if he knows about high integrity earthing. Are the two
terminals connected together on those kind of sockets? I can't
remember.

Yes - they are connected together at the socket

That socket is absolute ****e though. It's got a nice smart cover on
the back to hide the ****eness inside.

2m23s Yes that is me trying to plug in a USB plug.

:-)

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/6a30f561...da43ee555a2a25
557fa2eb0fd8da3b80acf_1.gif

or http://tinyurl.com/hlbolql

That's me!

And I thought it was only me!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe
him.

I wonder if he knows about high integrity earthing. Are the two
terminals connected together on those kind of sockets? I can't
remember.

Yes - they are connected together at the socket

I thought the point was that they werent connected unless using with a metal box, and even then it might not make a good earth connection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe him.

I've seen sockets with two earth points, but electrically they have all
been connected. You just use the best placed one. I've never seen one with
one terminal *per socket* meaning that both *must* be hard wired for a
proper earth connection.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe
him.

I wonder if he knows about high integrity earthing. Are the two
terminals connected together on those kind of sockets? I can't
remember.

Yes - they are connected together at the socket

I thought the point was that they werent connected unless using with a metal
box, and even then it might not make a good earth connection.

AIR there's a copper strip between the two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim+
escribió:

I've seen sockets with two earth points, but electrically they have all
been connected.

I thought so, thank you.

In the video (or maybe the comments) I think there is a suggestion that
if the two earth terminals on the crappy socket were used in an "in and
out" fashion (incoming earth connected to one terminal, outgoing to the
other) there would be no earth continuity with a plastic back box. Even
with a metal one, the earth continuity would be iffy.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) # ik ben Brussel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe
him.

I wonder if he knows about high integrity earthing. Are the two
terminals connected together on those kind of sockets? I can't
remember.

Yes - they are connected together at the socket

I thought the point was that they werent connected unless using with a metal
box, and even then it might not make a good earth connection.

AIR there's a copper strip between the two.

yes a strip of air rather than a strip of copper which could be a serious problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/16 11:26, Tim+ wrote:
ARW wrote:
"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe him.

I've seen sockets with two earth points, but electrically they have all
been connected. You just use the best placed one. I've never seen one with
one terminal *per socket* meaning that both *must* be hard wired for a
proper earth connection.

Indeed - that's because they don't exist, barring the crap coming out of
China like Clive found.

We were taught on a ring main to put one earth into each terminal, that
way if a terminal fails, you still have a CPC to the socket faces, but
of course no loop continuity around the ring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/16 11:49, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Tim+
escribió:

I've seen sockets with two earth points, but electrically they have all
been connected.

I thought so, thank you.

In the video (or maybe the comments) I think there is a suggestion that
if the two earth terminals on the crappy socket were used in an "in and
out" fashion (incoming earth connected to one terminal, outgoing to the
other) there would be no earth continuity with a plastic back box. Even
with a metal one, the earth continuity would be iffy.

We don't even need to justify it - the unit Clive had is a big fat fail
against any British Standard.

Apart from breaking the ring CPC continuity, or having one socket
unearthed depending on how it's wired - what are you supposed to do if
it's on a spur - put a link wire in?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
We were taught on a ring main to put one earth into each terminal, that
way if a terminal fails, you still have a CPC to the socket faces, but
of course no loop continuity around the ring.

Probably just me, but I've never understood the principle behind having
two earth terminals. I'd say it doubles the chances of one not being
properly tightened.

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't
believe
him.

I wonder if he knows about high integrity earthing. Are the two
terminals connected together on those kind of sockets? I can't
remember.

Yes - they are connected together at the socket

I thought the point was that they werent connected unless using with a
metal
box, and even then it might not make a good earth connection.

AIR there's a copper strip between the two.

yes a strip of air

A strip of plastic, actually.

rather than a strip of copper which could be a serious problem.

Pathetic how that fool couldn't actually grasp the point
that clive was making that they weren't electrically
connected unless a metal back box was used, even
tho clive spelt that out very explicitly indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

[...]

You're a plonker Wodney.
http://image.shutterstock.com/z/stoc...t-75185311.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
We were taught on a ring main to put one earth into each terminal, that
way if a terminal fails, you still have a CPC to the socket faces, but
of course no loop continuity around the ring.

Probably just me, but I've never understood the principle behind having
two earth terminals. I'd say it doubles the chances of one not being
properly tightened.

It's quite useful to run a link to the back box when a spur has filled up
the first one.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

escribió:

I've seen sockets with two earth points, but electrically they have all
been connected.

I thought so, thank you.

In the video (or maybe the comments) I think there is a suggestion that
if the two earth terminals on the crappy socket were used in an "in and
out" fashion (incoming earth connected to one terminal, outgoing to the
other) there would be no earth continuity with a plastic back box. Even
with a metal one, the earth continuity would be iffy.

We don't even need to justify it - the unit Clive had is a big fat fail
against any British Standard.

Apart from breaking the ring CPC continuity, or having one socket
unearthed depending on how it's wired - what are you supposed to do if
it's on a spur - put a link wire in?

BS 1363 part 2 is the relevant BS for sockets.

10.2 says "all accessible metal parts shall be in effective contact with the
earthing socket contact"

I would consider the socket Big Clive dismantled to be a failure of BS
1363-2

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
BS 1363 part 2 is the relevant BS for sockets.

10.2 says "all accessible metal parts shall be in effective contact with the
earthing socket contact"

I would consider the socket Big Clive dismantled to be a failure of BS
1363-2

That's not quite it, because on this socket there's a front fascia piece of
plastic to cover the screws, so they aren't actually accessible. The issue
isn't that the screws aren't earthed, it's that one or other socket earth
pin isn't earthed if only one earth terminal is used.

I'm sure not earthing a socket pin must violate BS1363-2 /somehow/...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
We were taught on a ring main to put one earth into each terminal, that
way if a terminal fails, you still have a CPC to the socket faces, but
of course no loop continuity around the ring.

Probably just me, but I've never understood the principle behind having
two earth terminals. I'd say it doubles the chances of one not being
properly tightened.

I'd say there is a higher change of all being tightened and one working
loose later (not unheard of) or the wire breaking off (had that once)
after replacing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe
him.

I wonder if he knows about high integrity earthing. Are the two
terminals connected together on those kind of sockets? I can't
remember.

Yes - they are connected together at the socket

I thought the point was that they werent connected unless using with a metal box, and even then it might not make a good earth connection.

Yup. Pretty odd.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 07:04:43 UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

We need a Clive on speed, one that presents the points in 40 seconds not 15 minutes!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

We need a Clive on speed, one that presents the points in 40 seconds not
15 minutes!

And one that doesn't chew his fingernails like a little kid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is it safe to shave my arse?

I treat my mind like a bad neighbourhood. I don't go there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
escribió:

We need a Clive on speed, one that presents the points in 40 seconds not 15
minutes!

I quite enjoy the relaxed pace of his videos. Judging by the number
of hits they get, he's doing something right.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) # ik ben Brussel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rod Speed, Blond Amateur Tranny Sucking Cock Outdoor

Thick-headed colon commando with bulky pole, bloated jizz generators,
and doddering button-hole requires burned codeye for vigorous dolphin
clubbing.

If you want punishing weasel chafing, then email me at
.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Rod Speed
escribió:

[drivelectomy]

Drop dead, you tedious spamming roo-****er.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.
(")_(") -- "Esme" on el Reg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2016 18:55, ARW wrote:
"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe
him.

twin but not connected to each other!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-03-23, ARW wrote:

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe him.

2m23s Yes that is me trying to plug in a USB plug.

You? That's everyone.

The man who invented the USB plug died. At his funeral, they started
lowering the coffin in, but it wouldn't fit, so they had to turn it
180° & try again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-03-23, ARW wrote:

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe him.

2m23s Yes that is me trying to plug in a USB plug.

You? That's everyone.

The man who invented the USB plug died. At his funeral, they started
lowering the coffin in, but it wouldn't fit, so they had to turn it
180° & try again.

....and then realised that they had it the right way round first time...

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-03-23, ARW wrote:

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe him.

2m23s Yes that is me trying to plug in a USB plug.

You? That's everyone.

The man who invented the USB plug died. At his funeral, they started
lowering the coffin in, but it wouldn't fit, so they had to turn it
180° & try again.

...and then realised that they had it the right way round first time...

ISAGN for a looping animated GIF.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Adam Funk
escribió:

ISAGN for a looping animated GIF.

I posted one in this thread on 23 March, but here it is again.

http://tinyurl.com/hlbolql

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.
(")_(") -- "Esme" on el Reg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-04-01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Adam Funk
escribió:

ISAGN for a looping animated GIF.

I posted one in this thread on 23 March, but here it is again.

http://tinyurl.com/hlbolql

Yes, that's the one that made me think of that idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2016 6:54 AM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

Wow, BigClive. Not heard of him since just before moving pictures hit
the internet.