Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboard fixings

Some are very clever - but they are not so good with items that require you
to just put a screw in the wall and the item just hangs on the end of the
shank. As you are not tightening the screw things don't open and take the
strain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Some are very clever - but they are not so good with items that require you
to just put a screw in the wall and the item just hangs on the end of the
shank. As you are not tightening the screw things don't open and take the
strain.

Put washer[s] behind the screw head for it to tighten onto?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:

Some are very clever - but they are not so good with items that
require you to just put a screw in the wall and the item just hangs
on the end of the shank. As you are not tightening the screw things
don't open and take the strain.

Put washer[s] behind the screw head for it to tighten onto?

Not always possible as the shank size of the screw can be important.

Another annoyance I have is a towell rail which heas rectangular stand-off
of about 1" section that slips over a screwed in spigot and thigtens with a
grub screw. The spigot is only about 1cm diameter and has a screw running
through it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2016 18:24, DerbyBorn wrote:
Some are very clever - but they are not so good with items that require you
to just put a screw in the wall and the item just hangs on the end of the
shank. As you are not tightening the screw things don't open and take the
strain.

If you are talking about these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...+Anchor/p53569

Then tighten the screw to open them and then unscrew them.

Or use a Rawlplug UNO and a screw.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 19:24:41 +0000, David Lang wrote:

Some are very clever - but they are not so good with items that

require
you to just put a screw in the wall and the item just hangs on the

end
of the shank. As you are not tightening the screw things don't

open and
take the strain.

If you are talking about these

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...Cavity+Fixings
/sd1930/Hollow+Wall+Anchor/p53569

The only plasterboard fixing of any use IMHO.

Then tighten the screw to open them and then unscrew them.

You can do that but a proper setting tool is quicker. Keep an eye
open in lidaldi, either have them occasionally with several different
sizes of fixing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2016 19:35, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 19:24:41 +0000, David Lang wrote:

Some are very clever - but they are not so good with items that

require
you to just put a screw in the wall and the item just hangs on the

end
of the shank. As you are not tightening the screw things don't

open and
take the strain.

If you are talking about these

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...Cavity+Fixings
/sd1930/Hollow+Wall+Anchor/p53569

The only plasterboard fixing of any use IMHO.

Then tighten the screw to open them and then unscrew them.

You can do that but a proper setting tool is quicker.

Indeed they are, but the trigger type are a bit flakey. This type,
though harder to find, are much better IMO.
http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Setting-Tool/40-8529

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/20/2016 9:11 PM, David Lang wrote:
[...]

I guess you could use a Rivnut setting tool too, presumably cavity
fixings are normal metric threads.

Havn't used plasterboard cavity fixings for ages, but have done various
Rivnut mods on my cars / vans more recently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 21:11:41 +0000, David Lang wrote:

You can do that but a proper setting tool is quicker.

Indeed they are, but the trigger type are a bit flakey. This type,
though harder to find, are much better IMO.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Setting-Tool/40-8529

Just spotted something similar on the Wickes website...

It's rather to easy to "overset" with the rachet trigger device. B-)
With the "plier" sort can you load a fixing into the head and not
have it fall out if you release the pressure on the handles?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-03-20 18:24, DerbyBorn wrote:
Some are very clever - but they are not so good with items that require you
to just put a screw in the wall and the item just hangs on the end of the
shank. As you are not tightening the screw things don't open and take the
strain.

I've successfully used a two part fitting, which the link below calls a wall
screw. The wall screw itself has a very deep thread which screws into the
plasterboard and spreads the load. It has a hole down the centre into which
you drive a supplied screw to whatever depth you require. The wall screw
can be made of zinc alloy or nylon.

http://www.diy.com/departments/rawlp.../254377_BQ.prd

You can use this type of fitting on dot and dab plasterboard where there
isn't enough space behind the plasterboard for the multitude of p/b
fixings that expect to open out behind the p/b, including toggle bolts
and wall anchors. You can also remove the fastener screw without
removing the wall screw.

For some of my walls, where the dabs are particularly thin, I've had to
drive the wall screw part way in, then remove it and break off the tip
in order to drive the wall screw fully in. (The flange at the front needs
to be gripping the front of the p/b.)

Whilst I'm here wittering about dot & dab fixings I've also used DrylinePro
wallplugs for heavier fixings to dot & dab p/b over solid walls (aerated
concrete blocks in my case). I've got a couple of well-filled 4 ft wardrobe
shelf/rails hanging off these and also some Spur-type bookshelves.

http://www.drylinepro.com/

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/16 18:24, DerbyBorn wrote:
Some are very clever - but they are not so good with items that require you
to just put a screw in the wall and the item just hangs on the end of the
shank. As you are not tightening the screw things don't open and take the
strain.

Very surprised no one has come across these:

http://gripitfixings.co.uk/new-gripit-2015/

I've used a few and I am extremely impressed (having used every other
type in the past).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Very surprised no one has come across these:
http://gripitfixings.co.uk/new-gripit-2015/

I've seen 'em in Wickes, but they seemed a bit expensive to buy the
variety pack just in case I need any, easier to remember they're there
(or they'll fail to sell many and stop stocking them by the time I
decide I need some).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/16 07:29, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

Very surprised no one has come across these:
http://gripitfixings.co.uk/new-gripit-2015/

I've seen 'em in Wickes, but they seemed a bit expensive to buy the
variety pack just in case I need any, easier to remember they're there
(or they'll fail to sell many and stop stocking them by the time I
decide I need some).

I recommend a pack of the yellows - good enough for most things with
sometimes the reds being handy for large things. I don't think I would
every use the blue or brown, because I wouldn't trust the PB itself to
that sort of load.

Handy thing with the yellows are that if you have a fixing that's
pulling out (like teh coat hook I did last year) you can you open the
remains of the hole out, shove them in and refix. TMH might find them
handy in a repair context.

They're expensive, but if you are hanging something that costs £20-30
and you need 2, it's a pretty small overhead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 07:34:10 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

http://gripitfixings.co.uk/new-gripit-2015/

I've seen 'em in Wickes, but they seemed a bit expensive to buy

the
variety pack just in case I need any,

Comparing the 25 pack yellows against hollow wall anchours the wall
anchours can be considerably more. Mind you the prices/quantities I
found for wall anchours on the Wickes site were more "Homebase" than
"Builders Merchant".

I recommend a pack of the yellows - good enough for most things with
sometimes the reds being handy for large things. I don't think I would
every use the blue or brown, because I wouldn't trust the PB itself to
that sort of load.

With the fixing in sheer PB is very strong, what it doesn't like is
tourque or pull. Judgeing by the shortness of the supplied screws
these gripits are designed to keep things in sheer. Ie fixing a thin
metal plate to the wall rather than a 18 mm thick batten.

Intresting all the same, especially if you have sod all gap between
PB and wall, Dot and dab, boxed lintle...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/16 09:05, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

You can switch the screw for more or less any 5mm wood screw. The larger
ones have thread for set screws.

Intresting all the same, especially if you have sod all gap between
PB and wall, Dot and dab, boxed lintle...

For dot'n'dab on blockwork there are two others I've used:

http://www.drylinepro.com/

are excellent for moderate to heavy loads - a modified frame fixing (I
used to use frame fixings for heavy shelving, but usually needed a drop
of glue to stop them spinning in celcon blocks)

and if you are hanging a massive TV on a long arm nothing beats these:

http://buyrigifixonline.co.uk/

A quid each, but if you use 4-6 on a TV costing £300-700, well... The
only fixing I've seen that actually quotes pull out loadings (max
working and failure).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in news:kak4sc-kv4.ln1
@squidward.sv.dionic.net:

http://gripitfixings.co.uk/new-gripit-2015/

It was the Gripit that made me realise that they didn't meet my particular
need. They rely on:

1. The screw being tightened.
2.. The item being fixed having a larger footprint than the Gripit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/16 09:09, DerbyBorn wrote:
Tim Watts wrote in news:kak4sc-kv4.ln1
@squidward.sv.dionic.net:

http://gripitfixings.co.uk/new-gripit-2015/

It was the Gripit that made me realise that they didn't meet my particular
need. They rely on:

1. The screw being tightened.

Not particularly - assuming the load is not going to push them into the
cavity, they don't have any requirement to be under tension to work.

2.. The item being fixed having a larger footprint than the Gripit.

That is true - quite a big hole even for the smallest yellow ones...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Some are very clever - but they are not so good with items that require
you to just put a screw in the wall and the item just hangs on the end
of the shank. As you are not tightening the screw things don't open and
take the strain.

There are lots and lots of fixings which 'set' when you tighten the screw.
You can then slacken the screw - or replace it with a hook or whatever.

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Plasterboard Fixings Nodge UK diy 5 February 24th 08 10:58 AM
Plasterboard fixings pm UK diy 16 October 8th 06 06:18 PM
Plasterboard Fixings The Medway Handyman UK diy 16 June 2nd 06 07:44 PM
Advise on Plasterboard fixings please Curiosity UK diy 2 April 8th 04 08:16 AM
plasterboard fixings Neil Catley UK diy 4 October 15th 03 09:39 PM