Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboard Fixings

I need to put up a couple of things like a towel rail and a curtain rail in
my son's flat. The wall seems to be plasterboard and behind that there's
about a 20mm gap and then I think it's breeze block. I got a pack of
plasterboard plugs which need a 6mm hole and have a sort of double prong
which opens up behind the plasterboard.. The pack says they are for light
use and I'm thinking they might not be up to the job. I've seen some bigger
fixings which have a very big spiral thread which are screwed in. Would they
be stronger? Or is there any other recommended way of fixing things?

Thanks

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nodge wrote:

I need to put up a couple of things like a towel rail and a curtain
rail in my son's flat. The wall seems to be plasterboard and behind
that there's about a 20mm gap and then I think it's breeze block. I
got a pack of plasterboard plugs which need a 6mm hole and have a
sort of double prong which opens up behind the plasterboard.. The
pack says they are for light use and I'm thinking they might not be
up to the job. I've seen some bigger fixings which have a very big
spiral thread which are screwed in. Would they be stronger? Or is
there any other recommended way of fixing things?
Thanks

John

The metal 'RediDrivas' (big spiral thread jobbies) are quite good - but not
really suitable for heavy loads.

Screwfix do a 'Heavy Duty' version http://tinyurl.com/2eqcpo but I've
haven't tried these. They *may* be ok.

My own preference is to cut a 1" hole in the plasterboard, and to use a long
screw going into the brick/blockwork, with a suitable spacer made out of 1"
dowelling (or broomstick). You can then get a solid fixing without squeezing
the plasterboard towards the blocks.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nodge wrote:
I need to put up a couple of things like a towel rail and a curtain
rail in my son's flat. The wall seems to be plasterboard and behind
that there's about a 20mm gap and then I think it's breeze block. I
got a pack of plasterboard plugs which need a 6mm hole and have a
sort of double prong which opens up behind the plasterboard.. The
pack says they are for light use and I'm thinking they might not be
up to the job. I've seen some bigger fixings which have a very big
spiral thread which are screwed in. Would they be stronger? Or is
there any other recommended way of fixing things?

I think your description of the first fixing is these ?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81956/...d-Plug-LDF-6mm

They would be fine for the towel rail, they give a surprisingly strong fix.

The second description seems to be these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84513/...er-32mm-100-Pk

These are faster to install & IME give a stronger fixing than the nylon
plugs above.

The strongest plasterboard fixings IME are these
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/12229...-x-52mm-8-16mm

Curtain rails can be a problem with heavy curtains. It depends on the
design of the bracket & how many fixings per bracket. If the bracket
fixings holes are close together you will only be able to use the nylon
plugs (first link).

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nodge wrote:

I need to put up a couple of things like a towel rail and a curtain rail
in my son's flat. The wall seems to be plasterboard and behind that
there's about a 20mm gap and then I think it's breeze block. I got a pack
of plasterboard plugs which need a 6mm hole and have a sort of double
prong which opens up behind the plasterboard.. The pack says they are for
light use and I'm thinking they might not be up to the job. I've seen some
bigger fixings which have a very big spiral thread which are screwed in.
Would they be stronger? Or is there any other recommended way of fixing
things?

Hollow wall anchors http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12229/ - providing the
fittings have large enough holes for the 5mm screw.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The strongest plasterboard fixings IME are these
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/12229...-x-52mm-8-16mm

They look good! Must try them next time I need to fix stuff to plasterboard.
Presumably the associated setting tool squeezes the back bit up by pulling
on the screw-head, avoiding the need to wind it up with a screwdriver?

Curtain rails can be a problem with heavy curtains. It depends on the
design of the bracket & how many fixings per bracket. If the bracket
fixings holes are close together you will only be able to use the
nylon plugs (first link).

I always fix a batten on the wall, and then screw the brackets onto that.
That spreads the load and is far better than individual point fixings into
the wall. If you use a pelmet, it doesn't even show.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

The strongest plasterboard fixings IME are these
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/12229...-x-52mm-8-16mm

They look good! Must try them next time I need to fix stuff to
plasterboard. Presumably the associated setting tool squeezes the
back bit up by pulling on the screw-head, avoiding the need to wind
it up with a screwdriver?

Yes it does. You can screw them in as you say, the setting tool makes it
faster.

Curtain rails can be a problem with heavy curtains. It depends on
the design of the bracket & how many fixings per bracket. If the
bracket fixings holes are close together you will only be able to
use the nylon plugs (first link).

I always fix a batten on the wall, and then screw the brackets onto
that. That spreads the load and is far better than individual point
fixings into the wall. If you use a pelmet, it doesn't even show.

I have done that, but I've found customers don't like the idea. Sometimes
you have to simply tell them its the only way you are prepared to do the
job. Pelmets do seem to be making a comeback!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Fixings - name? PJK UK diy 7 March 14th 07 06:34 PM
Plasterboard fixings pm UK diy 16 October 8th 06 06:18 PM
Plasterboard Fixings The Medway Handyman UK diy 16 June 2nd 06 07:44 PM
Advise on Plasterboard fixings please Curiosity UK diy 2 April 8th 04 08:16 AM
plasterboard fixings Neil Catley UK diy 4 October 15th 03 09:39 PM