Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remove back door lock?

I want to replace a back door lock and handle,
but there is no key.
Handles are off OK.
Will the brass coloured mechanism come out if I bash it,
or, as I fear, do I have to drill somewhere?
Picture is at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 10/03/2016 10:19, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I want to replace a back door lock and handle,
but there is no key.
Handles are off OK.
Will the brass coloured mechanism come out if I bash it,
or, as I fear, do I have to drill somewhere?
Picture is at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

[george]

Does this link help, you could damage the mechanism if the `cam` is
engaged with the mechanism if you bash it. There should be a screw on
the door edge that holds the lock in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9A915L_mlk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 10/03/2016 10:37, ss wrote:
On 10/03/2016 10:19, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I want to replace a back door lock and handle,
but there is no key.
Handles are off OK.
Will the brass coloured mechanism come out if I bash it,
or, as I fear, do I have to drill somewhere?
Picture is at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

[george]

Does this link help, you could damage the mechanism if the `cam` is
engaged with the mechanism if you bash it. There should be a screw on
the door edge that holds the lock in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9A915L_mlk

How to snap it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lzX5sSTbig

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2016 12:07, pamela wrote:

Does that mean you can open a locked door from the outside by
snapping off the euro-cyclinder in the way the video shows?

Yes.
That's why you fit secure locks and not the cheap ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 10:37:32 +0000, ss wrote:

On 10/03/2016 10:19, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I want to replace a back door lock and handle,
but there is no key.
Handles are off OK.
Will the brass coloured mechanism come out if I bash it,
or, as I fear, do I have to drill somewhere?
Picture is at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

Does this link help, you could damage the mechanism if the `cam` is
engaged with the mechanism if you bash it. There should be a screw on
the door edge that holds the lock in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9A915L_mlk

In the picture it looks as though the screw has already been removed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/16 12:48, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 10:37:32 +0000, ss wrote:

On 10/03/2016 10:19, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I want to replace a back door lock and handle,
but there is no key.
Handles are off OK.
Will the brass coloured mechanism come out if I bash it,
or, as I fear, do I have to drill somewhere?
Picture is at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

Does this link help, you could damage the mechanism if the `cam` is
engaged with the mechanism if you bash it. There should be a screw on
the door edge that holds the lock in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9A915L_mlk

In the picture it looks as though the screw has already been removed.

It does look that way. Perhaps the lock is stuck, a 'tap' with a hammer
should free it.

The replacement should be the same overall length and check the 'cam'
is in the same position. This is specified by two numbers. Eg a 50/50 is
a 105 mm lock with a central cam. 70/50 is a 125mm lock with an offset
cam.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks,
i'll take my molegrips when i next visit...

Euro locks,
standardised across Europe,
thanks to EU cooperation ?

[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 10/03/2016 11:02, DICEGEORGE wrote:
thanks,
i'll take my molegrips when i next visit...

Euro locks,
standardised across Europe,
thanks to EU cooperation ?

[george]

You may have snap resistant locks which would make the process slightly
more difficult, it should still work but may require greater force.

Worth veiwing a few utube videos first plenty on the subject.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/03/2016 11:34, ss wrote:
On 10/03/2016 11:02, DICEGEORGE wrote:
thanks,
i'll take my molegrips when i next visit...

Euro locks,
standardised across Europe,
thanks to EU cooperation ?

[george]

You may have snap resistant locks which would make the process slightly
more difficult, it should still work but may require greater force.

Worth veiwing a few utube videos first plenty on the subject.

The snap video showed a door with a massive hole for the euro cylinder.
It would be much harder to do in the OP's case.

If the cam is stopping the cylinder from being removed, it is possible
to drill through where the pins are in the lock. You can then insert a
flat bladed screwdriver into the keyhole and turn the lock to line up
the cam. The pins are roughly where the top of the key would be (if you
had it).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/03/2016 11:02, DICEGEORGE wrote:
thanks,
i'll take my molegrips when i next visit...

Euro locks,
standardised across Europe,
thanks to EU cooperation ?

[george]

George, I enjoyed viewing your photo album on Facebook. Bit worried
about the picture of you covered in blood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 March 2016 10:19:36 UTC, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I want to replace a back door lock and handle,
but there is no key.
Handles are off OK.
Will the brass coloured mechanism come out if I bash it,
or, as I fear, do I have to drill somewhere?
Picture is at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

[george]

It's a Eurolock.
The cylinder is held in place by a single longish screw in the edge of the door.
You may have to remove a cover plate to get at it.
You need the key to align the mechanism before you can get it out.
If no key, violence needed.
The degree of violence depends on how secure/expensive the lock is.
Some are easily forced, others not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2016 07:35, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 10 March 2016 10:19:36 UTC, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I want to replace a back door lock and handle,
but there is no key.
Handles are off OK.
Will the brass coloured mechanism come out if I bash it,
or, as I fear, do I have to drill somewhere?
Picture is at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

[george]

It's a Eurolock.
The cylinder is held in place by a single longish screw in the edge of the door.
You may have to remove a cover plate to get at it.
You need the key to align the mechanism before you can get it out.
If no key, violence needed.
The degree of violence depends on how secure/expensive the lock is.
Some are easily forced, others not.

You can see from the photo that he's already removed the cover plate.
The long screw which holds the Eurolock in place is immediately under
the lock bolt. That appears to have been removed, too - in which case
the Eurolock should just pull out sideways. Once that's out, the whole
lock mechanism can be pulled out from the edge of the door.

If the Eurolock won't come out, maybe the long screw has sheered off,
and part of it is still there. I'm not sure how you'd deal with that!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

You can see from the photo that he's already removed the cover plate.
The long screw which holds the Eurolock in place is immediately under
the lock bolt. That appears to have been removed, too - in which case
the Eurolock should just pull out sideways. Once that's out, the whole
lock mechanism can be pulled out from the edge of the door.

You've clearly never removed one then or forgotten that the OP doesn't have
the key.

The key is required to align the lock lever before you can slide the lock
barrel out.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2016 10:12, Tim+ wrote:
Roger wrote:

You can see from the photo that he's already removed the cover plate.
The long screw which holds the Eurolock in place is immediately under
the lock bolt. That appears to have been removed, too - in which case
the Eurolock should just pull out sideways. Once that's out, the whole
lock mechanism can be pulled out from the edge of the door.

You've clearly never removed one then or forgotten that the OP doesn't have
the key.

The key is required to align the lock lever before you can slide the lock
barrel out.

Tim

I've not removed one without having a key. But I don't recall having the
*use* the key. With the bolt in the unlocked position - as per the photo
- wouldn't the lock lever automatically be in the right position from
the last time the key was removed?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 11/03/2016 10:12, Tim+ wrote:
Roger wrote:

You can see from the photo that he's already removed the cover plate.
The long screw which holds the Eurolock in place is immediately under
the lock bolt. That appears to have been removed, too - in which case
the Eurolock should just pull out sideways. Once that's out, the whole
lock mechanism can be pulled out from the edge of the door.

You've clearly never removed one then or forgotten that the OP doesn't have
the key.

The key is required to align the lock lever before you can slide the lock
barrel out.

Tim

I've not removed one without having a key. But I don't recall having the
*use* the key.

Not recalling isn't the same as not using. ;-)

I've changed about half a dozen euro locks and every one has required the
key to adjust the cam position before removal. With the lock unlocked, the
cam is offset to one side and has to be rotated by about 30 degrees to
allow removal.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2016 09:20, Roger Mills wrote:

You can see from the photo that he's already removed the cover plate.
The long screw which holds the Eurolock in place is immediately under
the lock bolt. That appears to have been removed, too - in which case
the Eurolock should just pull out sideways. Once that's out, the whole
lock mechanism can be pulled out from the edge of the door.

If the Eurolock won't come out, maybe the long screw has sheered off,
and part of it is still there. I'm not sure how you'd deal with that!

You normally need the key to put the cam into the correct position
before you can remove it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks,
it snapped easily with molegrips as in the youtube video.
No need for drilling or hammering

If I'd known it was called a 'Eurolock'
i could have googled it !

[george]