Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Who has a Zyliss, zVise2, Gripmaster multi vise thing?

Hi all,

I believe I have one of the 'original (somewhere) vises that were sold
at the various exhibitions around at the time (probably the 'Model
Engineer' for me) I've recently discovered a 'Gripmaster' that looks
fairly complete but is missing one of the bench clamps (rendering the
whole thing pretty useless). ;-(

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...er%20clamp.jpg

I believe this is the only similar thing still in production:

http://www.rexmetall.ch/SWISSREX-Sys...ml?language=de

http://www.rexmetall.ch/Halten-Spann...SSREX::48.html

http://www.advmachinery.com/p-649-clamps.aspx

$19.95 for one so depending on p+p (from The States), could be ok if
it fits.

You can still buy a new complete system:

http://www.advmachinery.com/p-105-or...ng-system.aspx

One left in stock, $399.95!

So, anyone here got one and do you actually use it (and if so for
what)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2016 10:10, T i m wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've got one called a "Zyliss profi-king Plus" that's still in its
(slightly battered) box; I'd forgotten I had it until seeing your
question. Buying it seemed like a good idea at the time but it's had
very little use and looks virtually new - maybe a candidate for eBay if
I can persuade myself it won't come in useful at some time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I believe I have one of the 'original (somewhere) vises that were sold
at the various exhibitions around at the time (probably the 'Model
Engineer' for me) I've recently discovered a 'Gripmaster' that looks
fairly complete but is missing one of the bench clamps (rendering the
whole thing pretty useless). ;-(

I've never really found any vice which clamps to the bench any real use.

I do have one which as a ball joint (on the electronics bench) which is
in constant use, but the base is screwed to the bench.

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
T i m wrote

I believe I have one of the 'original (somewhere) vises that were sold
at the various exhibitions around at the time (probably the 'Model
Engineer' for me) I've recently discovered a 'Gripmaster' that looks
fairly complete but is missing one of the bench clamps (rendering the
whole thing pretty useless). ;-(

I've never really found any vice which clamps to the bench any real use.

I have with the ones used for electrical work. Can't remember the name
now and cant find it on google images. You likely can remember the name.

I do have one which as a ball joint (on the electronics bench)
which is in constant use, but the base is screwed to the bench.

Mine isnt, it has the clamp system. No ball joint but you can turn
the jaws thru all the axes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 11:40:04 +0000, wrote:

So, anyone here got one and do you actually use it (and if so for
what)?

Yes, I've got one called a "Zyliss profi-king Plus" that's still in its
(slightly battered) box; I'd forgotten I had it until seeing your
question.

I have seen that model mentioned in my Googling.

Buying it seemed like a good idea at the time but it's had
very little use and looks virtually new - maybe a candidate for eBay if
I can persuade myself it won't come in useful at some time.

It's one of those things that a good demo might convince even people
who weren't regularly building or doing stuff 'must have'. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAV5OkXBOtQ

(I've been known to buy stuff, partly because of how much effort and
often humour the demonstrator has put into it). ;-) [1]

In hindsight I think it's one of those things that could really suit a
tiny percentage of the (d-i-y) population very well, especially
someone requiring an extra pair of hands in a more mobile role
possibly?

I think one of the major flaws is in it's basic format, the vise jaws
are probably at 90 degrees to how most people would want them, without
using the alternative T nut type mount.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I've also found that if you hang about after the main audience has
wandered off and talked to the demonstrator ... I've often got the
thing cheaper. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to T i m, Bob Acosta Tx wrote:
I have one i must jave bought 20 years ago, or close to it. I was just using
it over the holidays and works great.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...g-1112261-.htm

Lidl multi tool and Aldi multi tool David.WE.Roberts UK diy 12 February 9th 13 11:47 PM
Vise ID SteveB[_9_] Home Repair 3 October 5th 09 04:01 AM
vise again.... BillP Metalworking 2 April 10th 05 01:04 AM
What's this leaky thing in my boiler...? - thing.jpg (0/1) fred UK diy 9 August 21st 04 10:51 PM
Gripmaster Portable Clamping System Mel & Gwen Beaty Woodworking 2 June 16th 04 03:00 AM