Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buying rim cylinder with many keys

The loonie scrote upstairs neighbour of a friend of mine is finally
being evicted[1] and the communal lock is going to need replacing as a
matter of course. Does anyone know of a supplier of rim cylinders/Yale
barrels that come with a large number of pre-cut keys? Amazon turns up
barrels with 6 keys (at a very reasonable £13) but a quick head count
shows that at least a dozen is needed to start with and that soon adds
up at £4 a key or whatever it is these days.

Failing that, anyone got any advice on unmarked graves!

[1] Frankly ought to be just taken out and shot as a total waste of DNA.
His own mother wanted a psych test last time he was arrested and has
since decided she wants no more to do with him.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 27/02/2016 21:25, Scott M wrote:

The loonie scrote upstairs neighbour of a friend of mine is finally
being evicted[1] and the communal lock is going to need replacing as a
matter of course. Does anyone know of a supplier of rim cylinders/Yale
barrels that come with a large number of pre-cut keys? Amazon turns up
barrels with 6 keys (at a very reasonable £13) but a quick head count
shows that at least a dozen is needed to start with and that soon adds
up at £4 a key or whatever it is these days.

Failing that, anyone got any advice on unmarked graves!

Maybe a Rim Combi might be worth a look, although it's probably not
going to compete on price against 12 keys, unless it's likely to happen
again...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27-Feb-16 9:25 PM, Scott M wrote:

The loonie scrote upstairs neighbour of a friend of mine is finally
being evicted[1] and the communal lock is going to need replacing as a
matter of course. Does anyone know of a supplier of rim cylinders/Yale
barrels that come with a large number of pre-cut keys? Amazon turns up
barrels with 6 keys (at a very reasonable £13) but a quick head count
shows that at least a dozen is needed to start with and that soon adds
up at £4 a key or whatever it is these days.

Don't know that separate keys are that cheap but my suggestion would be
to get the Yale type barrel and as many keys as you can get from that
supplier and, before fitting, get as many additional keys as you need
cut by a local key-cutter. Timpsons are well known but most towns will
have local key-cutters and markets often have one also.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Old Codger wrote:
On 27-Feb-16 9:25 PM, Scott M wrote:

The loonie scrote upstairs neighbour of a friend of mine is finally
being evicted[1] and the communal lock is going to need replacing as a
matter of course. Does anyone know of a supplier of rim cylinders/Yale
barrels that come with a large number of pre-cut keys? Amazon turns up
barrels with 6 keys (at a very reasonable £13) but a quick head count
shows that at least a dozen is needed to start with and that soon adds
up at £4 a key or whatever it is these days.

Don't know that separate keys are that cheap but my suggestion would be
to get the Yale type barrel and as many keys as you can get from that
supplier and, before fitting, get as many additional keys as you need
cut by a local key-cutter. Timpsons are well known but most towns will
have local key-cutters and markets often have one also.

a private locksmith is probably far cheaper than Timpsons. Certainly is
round here.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
Don't know that separate keys are that cheap but my suggestion would
be to get the Yale type barrel and as many keys as you can get from
that supplier and, before fitting, get as many additional keys as you
need cut by a local key-cutter. Timpsons are well known but most
towns will have local key-cutters and markets often have one also.

a private locksmith is probably far cheaper than Timpsons. Certainly is
round here.

I'd guess they'd do a deal too for a large number of keys. It's quicker to
cut several all the same than individual ones.

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
charles wrote:

a private locksmith is probably far cheaper than Timpsons. Certainly is
round here.

I'd guess they'd do a deal too for a large number of keys. It's quicker to
cut several all the same than individual ones.

Good thought guys, ta.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Old Codger" wrote in message
On 27-Feb-16 9:25 PM, Scott M wrote:

The loonie scrote upstairs neighbour of a friend of mine is finally
being evicted[1] and the communal lock is going to need replacing as a
matter of course. Does anyone know of a supplier of rim cylinders/Yale
barrels that come with a large number of pre-cut keys? Amazon turns up
barrels with 6 keys (at a very reasonable £13) but a quick head count
shows that at least a dozen is needed to start with and that soon adds
up at £4 a key or whatever it is these days.

Don't know that separate keys are that cheap but my suggestion would be to
get the Yale type barrel and as many keys as you can get from that
supplier and, before fitting, get as many additional keys as you need cut
by a local key-cutter. Timpsons are well known for being the most
expensive place in town

corrected for you

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:

The loonie scrote upstairs neighbour of a friend of mine is finally
being evicted[1] and the communal lock is going to need replacing as a
matter of course. Does anyone know of a supplier of rim cylinders/Yale
barrels that come with a large number of pre-cut keys? Amazon turns up
barrels with 6 keys (at a very reasonable £13) but a quick head count
shows that at least a dozen is needed to start with and that soon adds
up at £4 a key or whatever it is these days.

Failing that, anyone got any advice on unmarked graves!

[1] Frankly ought to be just taken out and shot as a total waste of DNA.
His own mother wanted a psych test last time he was arrested and has
since decided she wants no more to do with him.

This post is a bit perplexing as with an ordinary lock you can get as
many keys cut as you want, BUT with communal locks it is better to get a
restricted key system to cut down on the copies, although no system is
foolproof, just a bit more difficult.
Usually requires a locksmith.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Scott M wrote:

The loonie scrote upstairs neighbour of a friend of mine is finally
being evicted[1] and the communal lock is going to need replacing as a
matter of course. Does anyone know of a supplier of rim cylinders/Yale
barrels that come with a large number of pre-cut keys? Amazon turns up
barrels with 6 keys (at a very reasonable £13) but a quick head count
shows that at least a dozen is needed to start with and that soon adds
up at £4 a key or whatever it is these days.

This post is a bit perplexing as with an ordinary lock you can get as
many keys cut as you want,

It's not the practicalities but the expenditure.

The point is to avoid buying a "barrel + 2 keys" and spending a fortune
on getting duplicates cut if one can simply purchase a "barrel + 20
keys" cheaply. I'm already up to "barrel + 6 keys" for £13, which is a
damn sight better than £5 a key at Timpsons[1].

[1] Timpsons 6 years ago according to Google.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:

It's not the practicalities but the expenditure.

The point is to avoid buying a "barrel + 2 keys" and spending a fortune
on getting duplicates cut if one can simply purchase a "barrel + 20
keys" cheaply.

But if the policy is to replace the lock and cut 2*n keys, every time
that one of the n residents leaves, that could add up if there's a high
churn of residents, vs a proprietary key that the residents shouldn't be
able to make duplicates of, and they can be made to return when they
leave (make it clear that if they don't then the cost of a new lock+keys
comes out of their deposit).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Feb 2016, Andy Burns grunted:

Scott M wrote:

It's not the practicalities but the expenditure.

The point is to avoid buying a "barrel + 2 keys" and spending a fortune
on getting duplicates cut if one can simply purchase a "barrel + 20
keys" cheaply.

But if the policy is to replace the lock and cut 2*n keys, every time
that one of the n residents leaves, that could add up if there's a high
churn of residents, vs a proprietary key that the residents shouldn't be
able to make duplicates of, and they can be made to return when they
leave (make it clear that if they don't then the cost of a new lock+keys
comes out of their deposit).

+1

But in any case, given that the cost is presumably(?) going to be split 13
ways, the cost isn't going to be a big issue?

Incidentally, having made efforts to find the cheapest place to get keys
cut in my town, I last paid £1.50 for a yale-type key from a hardware shop
(a couple of years ago).

There are also plenty of ebay sellers who will do good deals on multiple
keys if you buy the new lock from them, eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181965169588

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
It's not the practicalities but the expenditure.

The point is to avoid buying a "barrel + 2 keys" and spending a fortune
on getting duplicates cut if one can simply purchase a "barrel + 20
keys" cheaply.

But if the policy is to replace the lock and cut 2*n keys, every time
that one of the n residents leaves, that could add up if there's a high
churn of residents, vs a proprietary key that the residents shouldn't be
able to make duplicates of, and they can be made to return when they
leave (make it clear that if they don't then the cost of a new lock+keys
comes out of their deposit).

Fit a decent electronic entry system so the code or swipe cards can be
changed when needed?

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:

But if the policy is to replace the lock and cut 2*n keys, every time
that one of the n residents leaves, that could add up if there's a high
churn of residents, vs a proprietary key that the residents shouldn't be
able to make duplicates of, and they can be made to return when they
leave (make it clear that if they don't then the cost of a new lock+keys
comes out of their deposit).

Fit a decent electronic entry system so the code or swipe cards can be
changed when needed?

It's really not that sort of operation. Fairly average Victorian semi
with a side door to 1st & 2nd floor flats. 1st privately owned by my
friend, 2nd rented out by disinterested owner in Australia. It's only
the track record of the current tenant that's going to ensure the locks
are changed - god knows how many times the police have been out in the
18 months he's been there. Hopefully the landlady will be more stringent
on the next tennant as a) it's her parents that look after the place
rather than an agency and b) the place has been trashed.

The dozen keys are merely down to my friend's family needing at least 8
to start with and the chances of pinning the landlady down to pay
anything are slim, so simply being able to replace lock & keys for a
sane amount of money is the best starting point.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott M" wrote in message ...

The loonie scrote upstairs neighbour of a friend of mine is finally being
evicted[1] and the communal lock is going to need replacing as a matter of
course. Does anyone know of a supplier of rim cylinders/Yale barrels that
come with a large number of pre-cut keys? Amazon turns up barrels with 6
keys (at a very reasonable £13) but a quick head count shows that at least
a dozen is needed to start with and that soon adds up at £4 a key or
whatever it is these days.

Failing that, anyone got any advice on unmarked graves!

[1] Frankly ought to be just taken out and shot as a total waste of DNA.
His own mother wanted a psych test last time he was arrested and has since
decided she wants no more to do with him.

TBH it isn't always the obviously unreliable ones that you have to protect
yourself from when they leave

you are just as likely to be "at risk" when the quiet person you never
noticed leaves

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"Scott M" wrote in message

The loonie scrote upstairs neighbour of a friend of mine is finally
being evicted[1] and the communal lock is going to need replacing as a
matter of course.

TBH it isn't always the obviously unreliable ones that you have to
protect yourself from when they leave

you are just as likely to be "at risk" when the quiet person you never
noticed leaves

It is a paradox, I agree. The previous tennant was deeply quiet to the
point of invisibility and just shambled in and out to/from work which
ties in with what you say. But he'd been there for about 15 years with
no black marks to his name so wasn't viewed as a problem.

The current one has helped himself to a new credit card from the
communal postbox and sold a carpet cleaner that lived in the landing
cupboard. And although he leads the sort of lifestyle where he's
unlikely to be able to find the front door key in 2 months time[1], the
number of times he's been howling at the moon[2] or having violent
slanging matches at 3am mean that you'd never sleep well again if the
lock wasn't changed.

[1] He can't find the actual flat door key so the door's been kicked in.

[2] I mean that almost literally; the joy of drugs.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2016 16:53, Scott M wrote:
tim... wrote:

"Scott M" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, you never know.

Our next-door neighbours recently had £5000 of jewellery stolen and
unfortunately it was not insured.

There was no sign of any forced entry and they are convinced that it was
the partner of their estranged daughter (they have had emails
threatening that they could get in whenever they wanted). She still had
keys for the conservatory door and (now interior) patio door, but not
the front one.

The next door neighbour's wife is very nervous anyway and she was
terrified that they'd come back. They were going to arrange to have the
outside lock changed, but luckily I had a spare Euro barrel of the right
size in my garage, so it only took a few minutes to change for them.

The police can't do much about it, as there is no firm evidence of who
it was.

SteveW