Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adapting condensing tumble dryer to drain automatically

Well . . . I did manage to accomplish the above-described solution and it does work. However, there are 2 things that you should know.
1) In spite of my buying what I think is the smallest size bilge pump that I could find, it required cutting the top of the reservoir to allow it to fit. I then ran the outlet hose and 12v power leads out the back side if the dryer, just under the top panel (a small notch in the edge of the panel was also required). One consequence of my pump installation is that I cannot pull the reservoir out without, first, taking the top off the dryer and lifting the pump out of the reservoir.
2) The small, removable screen at the input end of the reservoir is meant to filter the condensate. I am no longer able to remove it for cleaning . . . without taking the top panel off of the dryer to, first, remove the reservoir. Given that the filter rarely needs cleaning, I am OK with that. The reservoir gets a bit scummy after a while, even before I made my modification. So, I will clean that filter at the same time that I take the reservoir out to clean it.

Funtionally, the pump kicks on when the reservoir is nearly full. The pump shuts off when the float switch falls back to its lowest position but a siphon action continues to draw water until the reservoir is nearly empty. So, between pump cycles, the water rises to a level that is more than enough for the "self-cleaning cycle" to do its thing. I have yet to be standing near the dryer when it starts to pump the water out but I am sure that it does not happen with every load (not every load will have enough water in it to fill the reservoir). If the system ever fails, I am sure to find water in the floor.

Was it worth it? For me, yes? My dryer sits in a room with no sink to dump the water into. I was dumping it out the window onto the roof and that extra step added to the annoyance.

Do I recommend this modification to anyone else? Only if the perceived hassle factor of dumping the reservoir is high enough OR if you are an incurable tinker.

Finally, here is a bit of "lagniappe." Whether you manually empty your condensing dryer or it drains passively (or in my case, "automatically"), the condensate is distilled well enough to use in your steam iron (after filtering it to remove any fibers). So, run your condensate drain hose into a large plastic bottle with a tap at the bottom. Filter the water on the way into the bottle or when you remove it from the bottle to use it. Oh, be sure to put an overflow drain on the bottle to mitigate any "overproduction."

Signed,
Incurable Tinker

Hotpoint condensing tumble dryer [email protected] UK diy 2 January 28th 10 07:28 PM
Tumble dryer - vent kit/indoor condensor vs condensor tumble dryer? Scott UK diy 0 October 20th 08 08:10 AM
Compact condensing tumble dryer sought jkn UK diy 3 January 17th 08 09:24 PM
Condensing tumble dryer Eddie UK diy 2 February 6th 06 10:22 PM
Installing condensing tumble dryer Martin Pentreath UK diy 9 March 16th 05 01:16 PM