Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Main_Page

(1) Page http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Main_Page includes "You can discuss this wiki on the talk (discussion) page". I cannot, and the source of that page includes :-

This page has been protected to prevent editing or other actions."

(2) I was going to add - "How about a page for a list of all DIY acronyms used in the Wiki (and in the newsgroup), with their meanings?".

In my WinXP, a rough list of all words in capital letters in the source, for all HTM files in the root of the master of my web site, can be generated by

mtr -o^^ -wc- *.htm ".* ([A-Z]+) .*" = \1 | sort | dedupe | sort /r | mt

Perhaps the Wiki site owner can do similar or better code to get a first approximation to a list?

There, mtr is 32-bit MiniTrue and mt is 16-bit MiniTrue, for which see
http://www.idiotsdelight.net/minitrue/ and
http://adoxa.altervista.org/minitrue/index.html ;
dedupe replaces sets of matching lines with a count and one copy.

--
SL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
[...]

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Account_Requests

any use?

And I am sure John Rumm will see this and give you any help you need.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2016 13:25, wrote:

(1) Page
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Main_Page includes "You
can discuss this wiki on the talk (discussion) page". I cannot, and
the source of that page includes :-

reason: This page has been protected to prevent editing or other
actions."

I have changed the permissions on that page - you should be able to edit
it now when you are logged in. (it was protected back in the days where
anonymous edits were allowed, and it used to get spammed hourly!)

(if you have not got an account then drop me an email with your
preferred account name, and I will create it and send you the password)

(2) I was going to add - "How about a page for a list of all DIY
acronyms used in the Wiki (and in the newsgroup), with their
meanings?".

You mean like a Glossary?

How about:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Glossary

In my WinXP, a rough list of all words in capital letters in the
source, for all HTM files in the root of the master of my web site,
can be generated by

mtr -o^^ -wc- *.htm ".* ([A-Z]+) .*" = \1 | sort | dedupe | sort
/r | mt

Perhaps the Wiki site owner can do similar or better code to get a
first approximation to a list?

You can help yourself to a copy of the content from he

http://internode.co.uk/diyfaq_wiki_backup/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 February 2016 13:43:40 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 20/02/16 13:25, SL wrote:

Perhaps the Wiki site owner can do similar or better code to get a
first approximation to a list?

What did your last slave die of?

This seems to be a common theme with your postings. May ask why?

It is because I recognise that I do not know everything.

The first question must be whether such a list would be considered sufficiently useful, although that depends on how easy it would be to do it.

In this case the initial finding of possible entries is best done in one or more of the following ways :-

(1) By crowd-sourcing.
(2) By running similar code to mine on a system which holds the whole site, preferably doing so not on the source code but on the pages as rendered by a browser (maybe using Lynx). You will perhaps have noticed that, unless there is pre-processing, that code will miss about 10% of acronym instances..
(3) By using a facility in the Wiki code itself, if such exists.
(4) By running that or similar code on the Glossary itself.
(5) By one or more of others of the many means not known to me.

I now know that the Glossary exists and contains acronyms. Since those coming on an acronym might look for an Acronyms page without remembering that there might be a Glossary under that or some other name, perhaps the best answer is to have an Acronyms page in the Index, containing just "See [[Glossary]]".

--
SL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 February 2016 13:54:33 UTC, ARW wrote:
SL wrote in message

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Account_Requests
any use?

As a page for general use, yes; as a suggestion, none.

And I am sure John Rumm will see this and give you any help you need.

A well-meant but unnecessary reassurance.

--
SL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 February 2016 14:32:57 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/02/2016 13:25, SL wrote:

(1) Page http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Main_Page includes "You
can discuss this wiki on the talk (discussion) page". I cannot, and
the source of that page includes :-

reason: This page has been protected to prevent editing or other
actions."

I have changed the permissions on that page - you should be able to edit
it now when you are logged in. (it was protected back in the days where
anonymous edits were allowed, and it used to get spammed hourly!)

Good. It definitely looks editable, but I don't now need to do it, because ...

(2) I was going to add - "How about a page for a list of all DIY
acronyms used in the Wiki (and in the newsgroup), with their
meanings?".

You mean like a Glossary?

How about:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Glossary

I had forgotten, or not previously seen, that. I did _mean_ a mere Acronyms list, but a Glossary, if sufficiently complete for acronyms, will certainly serve.

In my WinXP, a rough list of all words in capital letters in the
source, for all HTM files in the root of the master of my web site,
can be generated by

mtr -o^^ -wc- *.htm ".* ([A-Z]+) .*" = \1 | sort | dedupe | sort
/r | mt

Perhaps the Wiki site owner can do similar or better code to get a
first approximation to a list?

You can help yourself to a copy of the content from he

http://internode.co.uk/diyfaq_wiki_backup/

I fear it may be too big for this old PC, and "dedupe" and its compiler are 16-bit code ... boots better PC ... I see your backup Index, but the main file size is larger than that which I was testing with is nearly two orders of magnitude bigger than the file set I was testing on, and I don't know how I might open such files.

Alas, I can no longer recall the acronym I wanted to look up, except that it was used recently in this group and had three letters with the last being "O" - but HEPVO was used yesterday in "Waste water not draining" and that's not in the Glossary.

Google knows about HEPVO, which appears to be not an Acronym; but to be really useful an Acronyms list should include "word"s that look like acronyms .... . And the DNS knows it, but http://www.hepvo.com/ does not give its etymology. Might a HepvO suffer if some of the more vigorous methods of pipe-unblocking were applied

General thanks,

--
SL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2016 13:25, SL wrote:

[...]

7 zip will decompress it. After that its just a big set of SQL in a text
file that would rebuild the database. (you can ignore the 500meg file!)

Alas, I can no longer recall the acronym I wanted to look up, except
that it was used recently in this group and had three letters with
the last being "O" - but HEPVO was used yesterday in "Waste water not
draining" and that's not in the Glossary.

Google knows about HEPVO, which appears to be not an Acronym; but to
be really useful an Acronyms list should include "word"s that look
like acronyms ... . And the DNS knows it, but http://www.hepvo.com/
does not give its etymology. Might a HepvO suffer if some of the
more vigorous methods of pipe-unblocking were applied

Hep was from Hepworth plastics. Now absorbed along with OSMA by Wavin.
The VO was a range of pipe and fittings IIUC.

http://www.wavin.co.uk/web/news/show...h-plastics.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2016 21:43, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/02/2016 19:45, wrote:

Google knows about HEPVO, which appears to be not an Acronym; but to
be really useful an Acronyms list should include "word"s that look
like acronyms ... . And the DNS knows it, but
http://www.hepvo.com/
does not give its etymology. Might a HepvO suffer if some of the
more vigorous methods of pipe-unblocking were applied

Hep was from Hepworth plastics. Now absorbed along with OSMA by Wavin.
The VO was a range of pipe and fittings IIUC.

In fact, looking at:

http://www.wavin.co.uk/web/solutions...raps/hepvo.htm

It suggests it wont stand up to vigorous cleaning...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 February 2016 13:25:19 UTC, wrote:

(2) I was going to add - "How about a page for a list of all DIY acronyms used in the Wiki (and in the newsgroup), with their meanings?".

If you want to compile a list I could upload it into an article. The glossary shows the syntax required (click edit to see it).

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message
om, Sat, 20 Feb 2016 20:21:13, posted:

On Saturday, 20 February 2016 13:25:19 UTC, wrote:

(2) I was going to add - "How about a page for a list of all DIY
acronyms used in the Wiki (and in the newsgroup), with their
meanings?".

If you want to compile a list I could upload it into an article. The
glossary shows the syntax required (click edit to see it).

It occurs to me that I already have JavaScript that, if executed in a
page in the root directory of a web site, can spider that site checking
links and anchors (the real purpose) and as a sideline checking
instances of "YYYY-MM-DD DoW" and seeking a shibboleth RegExp. I also
have code to traverse the DOM tree of a page as loaded; it could easily
enough look for text nodes and seek in them matches for a chosen RegExp
that would match most acronyms and not a lot else. I also know an
effective way of making a de-duplicated list of matches found.

So it would not be so very difficult to write a new-acronym-seeker.
Perhaps someone has done it already.

The aforesaid script is in
view-source:
http://web.archive.org/web/201509080...p://www.merlyn
..demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm.

H'mm - using \b[A-Z]{4,}\b as the shibboleth RegExp, case-dependent, my
site master counts 6896 matches; but that currently (perhaps) scanned
the source of the pages, which was good enough for the original purpose.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 February 2016 23:41:08 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.d-i-y message
om, Sat, 20 Feb 2016 20:21:13, tabbypurr posted:
[...]

Go for it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message
om, Sun, 28 Feb 2016 02:04:40, posted:
On Saturday, 27 February 2016 23:41:08 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

So it would not be so very difficult to write a new-acronym-seeker.
Perhaps someone has done it already.

The aforesaid script is in
view-source:
http://web.archive.org/web/201509080...p://www.merlyn
.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm.

H'mm - using \b[A-Z]{4,}\b as the shibboleth RegExp, case-dependent, my
site master counts 6896 matches; but that currently (perhaps) scanned
the source of the pages, which was good enough for the original purpose.

Go for it

It is done, to the extent of getting something that runs and gives about
the right output; for example :-

.. 1 'PMRF'
.. 1 'PNUP'
.. 4 'POINTS'
.. 1 'POLAR'
.. 1 'PONSE'
.. 7 'POSIX'
.. 1 'POSSIBLY'
.. 13 'POST'
.. 1 'POSTMASTER'
.. 1 'POSTSCRIPT'
.. 2 'POTUS'
.. 1 'POWERS'
.. 1 'PRAEFATIO'

The selection needs refining; for example PONSE comes from RÉPONSE which
may be seen by the selector as RéPONSE (Euler wrote that word)
and others are just ordinary words in upper-case.

PMRF is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifi...Range_Facility (at
Barking Sands).

AFAIR, the uk.d-i-y FAQ would give a much smaller proportion of false
positives.

An auxiliary program or editor script could convert that list into a
pseudo-web page with a list of entries each making a Google (or other)
search of the FAQ site to locate the use of each "acronym" there.

It needs to be documented!

Remember that the archived copy does not do this.

I am using Firefox in WinXP sp3, with local files - I don't know whether
it would, for example, run on the FAQ server. This page and the site
being tested must be on the same system - the "same origin policy".

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 February 2016 23:42:04 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.d-i-y message
om, Sun, 28 Feb 2016 02:04:40, tabbypurr posted:
On Saturday, 27 February 2016 23:41:08 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

So it would not be so very difficult to write a new-acronym-seeker.
Perhaps someone has done it already.

The aforesaid script is in
view-source:http://web.archive.org/web/201509080...p://www.merlyn
.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm.

H'mm - using \b[A-Z]{4,}\b as the shibboleth RegExp, case-dependent, my
site master counts 6896 matches; but that currently (perhaps) scanned
the source of the pages, which was good enough for the original purpose.

Go for it

It is done

excellent, post the list of acronyms and it can go up.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/02/2016 23:09, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

I am using Firefox in WinXP sp3, with local files - I don't know whether
it would, for example, run on the FAQ server. This page and the site
being tested must be on the same system - the "same origin policy".

The server runs CentOS (i.e. designed to be compatible with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux). So, yes it could probably run on the server if one
ran a local X Server...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message
om, Tue, 1 Mar 2016 11:47:14, posted:

On Monday, 29 February 2016 23:42:04 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.d-i-y message
om, Sun, 28 Feb 2016 02:04:40, tabbypurr posted:
On Saturday, 27 February 2016 23:41:08 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

So it would not be so very difficult to write a new-acronym-seeker.
Perhaps someone has done it already.

The aforesaid script is in
view-source:
http://web.archive.org/web/201509080...p://www.merlyn
.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm.

H'mm - using \b[A-Z]{4,}\b as the shibboleth RegExp, case-dependent, my
site master counts 6896 matches; but that currently (perhaps) scanned
the source of the pages, which was good enough for the original purpose.

Go for it

It is done

excellent, post the list of acronyms and it can go up.

It is done - but for the master copy of a site stored on my local PC and
with HTML pages with extensions only htm, html, shtml, xhtml. That is a
user-editable list. I do not know, for example, whether having
directories with extension php matters. To be used elsewhere, it must be
tested elsewhere.

My Web site is flattish, i.e. all ordinary pages are in its root folder,
and I have no need to check the content of non-root pages. That caused
browser-dependent difficulties, years ago.

But I have tried LINXCHEK.HTM on a dummy site containing the FAQ's
Detergent page, and it did find the acronym SLES. I added the
Dimmed_PIR_Lights page; it found several TLAs.

What I have so far done was fun, and is mildly potentially useful to me;
I may be able to improve it.

The "Remote Origin" property of iframe elements means that the page can
only check sites that run a copy of itself; and Chrome's interpretation
of "Remote Origin" prevents working at all there. Perhaps it should be
converted into an HTA; but is continued support for HTAs to be expected?

One might say that an acronyms list should never be needed, because all
acronyms used in a page either should be so well known that they need no
explanation (NATO) or can be found directly in Wikipedia (DHMO), or
should be explained at the first occurrence on each page. So perhaps it
should give only multiple page entries as acronyms to be listed.

There may be no need at all for a news:uk.d-i-y acronyms list because
the glossary may suffice, though the glossary is no help for those who
have found an acronym and don't know that the glossary exists.

I have modernised "LED" in the Glossary - someone please review.

I suggest that Glossary, and Acronyms if created, should be added to the
little Navigation box at upper left; and "Usenet" should be put before
uk.d-i-y just below it.

Page Category:Electrical is not age- or gender- neutral; all the
pictures are of old males.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message ,
Tue, 1 Mar 2016 20:35:38, John Rumm
posted:

On 29/02/2016 23:09, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

I am using Firefox in WinXP sp3, with local files - I don't know whether
it would, for example, run on the FAQ server. This page and the site
being tested must be on the same system - the "same origin policy".

The server runs CentOS (i.e. designed to be compatible with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux). So, yes it could probably run on the server if one
ran a local X Server...

If you can put LINXCHEK.HTM on the server in the root directory of the
FAQ, and read it directly in a browser, then it seems likely that it
will find candidate acronyms when run there.

It would want to be provided with a file list for the site root and
subfolders. I use MSDOS Command Prompt DIR /B /S which gives lines like
C:\HOMEPAGE\ZYP.$$$
C:\HOMEPAGE\ZYP.BAT
C:\HOMEPAGE\ZYP.OK0
C:\HOMEPAGE\20010716\000-WARN.TXT
C:\HOMEPAGE\20010716\00INDEX.HTM
C:\HOMEPAGE\20010716\00INDEX.TXT
That information could be supplied, I suppose, by UNIX LS and either the
LS output could be adjusted to mach the above or LINXCHEK could be
adjusted to accept either form.

I have no experience of UNIX-type systems.

Or, maybe, the file set could be copied to a Windows PC and tested
there.

No doubt Internode could do it - but would that be useful enough
[remembering that LINXCHEK was written to check local links and anchors
in the master of my (in-limbo) Web site]? I suspect not.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 March 2016 23:45:27 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

Page Category:Electrical is not age- or gender- neutral; all the
pictures are of old males.

Well yes. The article is about oldsters, and there are pictures of females in their prime here
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Pattress
and here
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Plug_%26_socket

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 23:43:48 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Wednesday, 2 March 2016 23:45:27 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

Page Category:Electrical is not age- or gender- neutral; all the
pictures are of old males.

Well yes. The article is about oldsters, and there are pictures of
females in their prime here http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Pattress
and here http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Plug_%26_socket

And even male couples.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2016 17:44, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

In uk.d-i-y message ,
Tue, 1 Mar 2016 20:35:38, John Rumm
posted:

On 29/02/2016 23:09, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

I am using Firefox in WinXP sp3, with local files - I don't know whether
it would, for example, run on the FAQ server. This page and the site
being tested must be on the same system - the "same origin policy".

The server runs CentOS (i.e. designed to be compatible with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux). So, yes it could probably run on the server if one
ran a local X Server...

If you can put LINXCHEK.HTM on the server in the root directory of the
FAQ, and read it directly in a browser, then it seems likely that it
will find candidate acronyms when run there.

Are you talking about the FAQ particularly, or the wiki?

The FAQ is just a static set of HTML web pages. So that can be processed
locally.

The WIKI is a very different beast, in that there are no static HTML
pages at all. There is a large directory structure of images, a huge
folder of PHP scripts, and a massive SQL database that contains all the
text. Its not until you request a page that the HTML actually gets
"written" as such. So you can browse to a page and then save it. But
prior so requesting the page there is no HTML file you can look at.

It would want to be provided with a file list for the site root and
subfolders. I use MSDOS Command Prompt DIR /B /S which gives lines like
C:\HOMEPAGE\ZYP.$$$
C:\HOMEPAGE\ZYP.BAT
C:\HOMEPAGE\ZYP.OK0
C:\HOMEPAGE\20010716\000-WARN.TXT
C:\HOMEPAGE\20010716\00INDEX.HTM
C:\HOMEPAGE\20010716\00INDEX.TXT
That information could be supplied, I suppose, by UNIX LS and either the
LS output could be adjusted to mach the above or LINXCHEK could be
adjusted to accept either form.

That's fine where you have HTML pages to look at (e.g. the FAQ), but not
much help for dynamically generated sites.

I have no experience of UNIX-type systems.

Used on a desktop machine with a graphical interface, it would behave in
much the same way. When you are accessing remote server however, then
its a somewhat different setup. Typically you have command line access,
but you won't be able to run firefox/Chrome or whatever in that
environment. *nix systems do allow the graphical interface and the
machine running the applications to be separated though, so you can run
an X Windows server on your machine, and then connect to a remote
computer via SSH or similar, and have it run a program that needs a GUI
using the services of your X server[1]. It works well enough when the
machines concerned can see each other on a LAN, although performance
takes a nose dive when one is the other end of a much slower internet
connection.

[1] Client and server terminology gets a bit confusing when talking
about X windows. You local computer is a client talking to a remote
server, but the server is also a client using the graphics capabilities
of your local machine acting as a screen display server!

Or, maybe, the file set could be copied to a Windows PC and tested
there.

No doubt Internode could do it - but would that be useful enough
[remembering that LINXCHEK was written to check local links and anchors
in the master of my (in-limbo) Web site]? I suspect not.

I can zip and email you the FAQ pages if you want... they should be
processable with your current setup.

I suspect that for processing the wiki, you would be better off first
"spidering" the site following all the internal links, and caching local
copies of the pages generated. That would save all the complexity of
dealing with the server, database, or any working at arms length on a
remote machine.

(If you have a windows port of the wget command, then that can probably
do what you need)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message ,
Thu, 3 Mar 2016 13:09:05, John Rumm
posted:

On 02/03/2016 17:44, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

In uk.d-i-y message ,
Tue, 1 Mar 2016 20:35:38, John Rumm
posted:

On 29/02/2016 23:09, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

I am using Firefox in WinXP sp3, with local files - I don't know whether
it would, for example, run on the FAQ server. This page and the site
being tested must be on the same system - the "same origin policy".

The server runs CentOS (i.e. designed to be compatible with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux). So, yes it could probably run on the server if one
ran a local X Server...

If you can put LINXCHEK.HTM on the server in the root directory of the
FAQ, and read it directly in a browser, then it seems likely that it
will find candidate acronyms when run there.

Are you talking about the FAQ particularly, or the wiki?

Both, rather indiscriminately, I fear. Both, as presented to a user's
browser, contain links and anchors which might be checked, and acronyms
which might be listed.

The FAQ is just a static set of HTML web pages. So that can be
processed locally.

The WIKI is a very different beast, in that there are no static HTML
pages at all. There is a large directory structure of images, a huge
folder of PHP scripts, and a massive SQL database that contains all the
text. Its not until you request a page that the HTML actually gets
"written" as such. So you can browse to a page and then save it. But
prior so requesting the page there is no HTML file you can look at.

But it is the content of the delivered HTML files that matters. The
browser JavaScript "same origin" policy stops me here running LINXCHEK
to fetch and test pages from elsewhere (I have fetched a couple of
"family" sites by saving from a browser and checking locally).

H'mm - perhaps I could make LINXCHEK.HTM into a .HTA page, if that can
fetch "other-origin" pages - but that would make it an abusable tool
which I would not choose to release. But will .HTA continue to be
supported?

It would want to be provided with a file list for the site root and
subfolders. I use MSDOS Command Prompt DIR /B /S which gives lines like
C:\HOMEPAGE\ZYP.$$$
C:\HOMEPAGE\ZYP.BAT
C:\HOMEPAGE\ZYP.OK0
C:\HOMEPAGE\20010716\000-WARN.TXT
C:\HOMEPAGE\20010716\00INDEX.HTM
C:\HOMEPAGE\20010716\00INDEX.TXT
That information could be supplied, I suppose, by UNIX LS and either the
LS output could be adjusted to mach the above or LINXCHEK could be
adjusted to accept either form.

That's fine where you have HTML pages to look at (e.g. the FAQ), but
not much help for dynamically generated sites.

Either there would need to be a list of the pages that might be
generated, or LINXCHEK would have to be able to ask for a page and
recognise the "404-type" response somehow. The site maintainer could,
in principle, put a secret word such as zrgnzbecubfvf, in one-point
white-on-white, in his 404 page generator ...

I can zip and email you the FAQ pages if you want... they should be
processable with your current setup.

Please do so, but only after reading an E-mail from me which should be
with you very late today (Monday) , so that it will arrive in a suitable
account.

I suspect that for processing the wiki, you would be better off first
"spidering" the site following all the internal links, and caching
local copies of the pages generated. That would save all the complexity
of dealing with the server, database, or any working at arms length on
a remote machine.

LINXCHEK already spiders the site; but it extracts all of the needed
information from each page when read - no page caching or re-reading is
needed. For each page read, the browser creates lists of links and
anchors automatically (it may be scanning the DOM tree to get a list of
IDs).

(If you have a windows port of the wget command, then that can probably
do what you need)

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message ,
Thu, 3 Mar 2016 13:09:05, John Rumm
posted:

I can zip and email you the FAQ pages if you want... they should be
processable with your current setup.

He did. They were. Interesting. Useful to me. More later.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message id
, Tue, 15 Mar 2016 23:24:28, Dr J R Stockton

..uk.invalid posted:

In uk.d-i-y message ,
Thu, 3 Mar 2016 13:09:05, John Rumm
posted:

I can zip and email you the FAQ pages if you want... they should be
processable with your current setup.

He did. They were. Interesting. Useful to me. More later.

LINXCHEK found 246 instances of candidate acronyms, 149 distinct
candidates. Most came from subject lines in upper-case, and could be
rejected at first glance. Some were on the existing Acronyms List.
Some were too well-known to need explanation, such as ISBN and PTFE. A
few do IMHO justify an explanation, either in the List or in the pages
in which they appear.

LINXCHEK also found 15 anchors to be cited and missing, and 10 anchors
not cited from within the FAQ. And it inadvertently found quite a
number of over-munged "Mailto:"s. Doing this, it read 48 HTML files in
about 40 seconds on an old desktop PC - I think that most pages made a
Google call on-load, which would have slowed things down a bit, as would
the Classic FM from ZA that the PC was also playing.

These findings have been notified to John Rumm as Editor.

Scanning the UK DIY Wiki would be another matter; LINXCHEK does not know
about reading remote pages.

LINXCHEK has been improved during this activity.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2016 23:24, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
[...]

Pulling down a static copy with wget may get what you need.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2016 23:24, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
Some were too well-known to need explanation, such as ISBN and PTFE.

I wouldn't be surprised to find my wife doesn't know what PTFE is, and
certainly won't know what it stands for. Tell her it's Teflon (I know, a
trade name) and she'll understand.

Andy
--
Hope I get it right - polytetrafluoroethylene My spiel chucker thinks
I must mean polythene.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 21:48:44 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 01/04/2016 23:24, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
Some were too well-known to need explanation, such as ISBN and PTFE.

I wouldn't be surprised to find my wife doesn't know what PTFE is, and
certainly won't know what it stands for. Tell her it's Teflon (I know, a
trade name) and she'll understand.

Hope I get it right - polytetrafluoroethylene My spiel chucker thinks I
must mean polythene.

Nah, polyethylene, surely? :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

if you add the word 'acronym' to the glossary page
then it will show up in search

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...cronym&go =Go
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ISBN and PTFE and IMHO
and all such TLAs
should be in glossary in my opinion,
shouldnt assume theyre all commonly known,
we may have people from other languages viewing the wiki
[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 03:56:16 -0700, DICEGEORGE wrote:

ISBN and PTFE and IMHO and all such TLAs should be in glossary in my
opinion,
shouldnt assume theyre all commonly known,
we may have people from other languages viewing the wiki [g]

ISBN, PTFE and IMHO are all FLAs actually. :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2016 05:08, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 03:56:16 -0700, DICEGEORGE wrote:

ISBN and PTFE and IMHO and all such TLAs should be in glossary in my
opinion,
shouldnt assume theyre all commonly known,
we may have people from other languages viewing the wiki [g]

ISBN, PTFE and IMHO are all FLAs actually. :-)

ETLAs if you don't mind ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2016 21:48, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 01/04/2016 23:24, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
Some were too well-known to need explanation, such as ISBN and PTFE.

I wouldn't be surprised to find my wife doesn't know what PTFE is, and
certainly won't know what it stands for. Tell her it's Teflon (I know, a
trade name) and she'll understand.

We used to call it "Plastic Tape For Engineers"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message ,
Sat, 2 Apr 2016 00:58:23, John Rumm
posted:

On 01/04/2016 23:24, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

Scanning the UK DIY Wiki would be another matter; LINXCHEK does not know
about reading remote pages.

Pulling down a static copy with wget may get what you need.

I'm boggled both in respect of how to install Wget for Windows and in
respect of how to explain to it what the command line for requesting the
whole of the UK DIY Wiki might be - though I have in mind a couple of
simple sites to practice on.

So, unless anyone can clarify these matters rather exactly, I'll move on
to some other problem.

I see one very minor difficulty in processing the Wiki - having written
LINXCHEK for my own site, in which almost all pages are .HTM, I can
predict which links are to HTML pages from an input box containing a
whitespace-separated list of extensions. Obviously I cannot put an
empty extension in the box as it is. That is easily solved, of course.

But I would like to be able to predict, from a page containing a link,
whether that link needs to be loaded and searched for further links. On
my PCs, it could be a link to a 350 MB PDF of page images of Christopher
Clavius' Opera Mathematica V - I do not want LINXCHEK to read that.

BTW, on the plain FAQ, LINXCHEK unsurprisingly ran much faster after I
removed the code which calls Google from every page.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2016 22:15, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.d-i-y message ,
Sat, 2 Apr 2016 00:58:23, John Rumm
posted:

On 01/04/2016 23:24, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

Scanning the UK DIY Wiki would be another matter; LINXCHEK does not know
about reading remote pages.

Pulling down a static copy with wget may get what you need.

I'm boggled both in respect of how to install Wget for Windows and in
respect of how to explain to it what the command line for requesting the
whole of the UK DIY Wiki might be - though I have in mind a couple of
simple sites to practice on.

Install is easy enough. Go to:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gnu....4-1-setup.exe

Then run the installer.

For ease of use stick it into a folder close to the root of your hard
drive - say c:\wg

By way of example, I did a recursive get to a maximum of 1 level on the
category page for doors (only used that since it was not a huge category)

Made a directory for wiki stuff, then executed wget:

C:\wiki\wg\wget http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Categoryoors -r -l 1

The url to start at (you could the main home page if you wanted the
lot). The -r recursion flag makes it walk down the tree of links it
finds. And the level limit of 1 meant it did not then also repeat the
search on the downloaded pages ad infinitum.

That created a wiki.diyfaw.org.uk folder and then a index.php folder in
that. Inside that was all the top level articles linked from the doors
category - saved as straight HTML.

Doing a wget --help

Will show all the options. There are a few handy ones: A -k to change
the links in the downloaded files to local links is handy. A -np (np
parent) command will stop it following links to higher up the directory
structure than your starting point. The -w to add a wait time between
retrievals will stop you hammering the server too hard etc.

I see one very minor difficulty in processing the Wiki - having written
LINXCHEK for my own site, in which almost all pages are .HTM, I can
predict which links are to HTML pages from an input box containing a
whitespace-separated list of extensions. Obviously I cannot put an
empty extension in the box as it is. That is easily solved, of course.

--html_extension switch will force it to save all html files with a
..html suffix...

But I would like to be able to predict, from a page containing a link,
whether that link needs to be loaded and searched for further links. On
my PCs, it could be a link to a 350 MB PDF of page images of Christopher
Clavius' Opera Mathematica V - I do not want LINXCHEK to read that.

The --spider switch will take it through the traversal without actually
downloading anything, so you can see the links it follows. You can also
exclude file types you don't want (say .pdf)

BTW, on the plain FAQ, LINXCHEK unsurprisingly ran much faster after I
removed the code which calls Google from every page.

There is not much google code on there apart from the search box...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message ,
Mon, 11 Apr 2016 00:43:16, John Rumm
posted:

On 10/04/2016 22:15, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.d-i-y message ,
Sat, 2 Apr 2016 00:58:23, John Rumm
posted:

On 01/04/2016 23:24, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

Scanning the UK DIY Wiki would be another matter; LINXCHEK does not know
about reading remote pages.

Pulling down a static copy with wget may get what you need.

I'm boggled both in respect of how to install Wget for Windows and in
respect of how to explain to it what the command line for requesting the
whole of the UK DIY Wiki might be - though I have in mind a couple of
simple sites to practice on.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gnu....4-1-setup.exe

Then run the installer.

For ease of use stick it into a folder close to the root of your hard
drive - say c:\wg

I have C:\UTYS\ on the Path, and put batch files there to call such
things, preferring to put as little as possible in C:\.

I got WGET --help working, and then
WGET http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Categoryoors -r -l 1 .

The pages obtained are readable individually, but the inter-page links do
not work. I'll think and test more.

BTW, on the plain FAQ, LINXCHEK unsurprisingly ran much faster after
I removed the code which calls Google from every page.

There is not much google code on there apart from the search box...

Agreed; but it contains an Internet call to Google and uses the reply to
make the box. That, done about 40-fold, is what takes up noticeable
time.

I added a link to HMG's "Building Regulations, Part P (Electrical
Safety)" to http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Electrical_regulations.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2016 23:46, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
[...]

Try the -k switch to change the links to local ones...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message ,
Tue, 12 Apr 2016 08:19:29, John Rumm
posted:

On 11/04/2016 23:46, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

I got WGET --help working, and then
WGET http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Categoryoors -r -l 1 .

The pages obtained are readable individually, but the inter-page links do
not work. I'll think and test more.

Try the -k switch to change the links to local ones...

External life intervened; but there is a degree of progress; some minor
improvements within LINXCHEK have been made; some candidate acronyms
have been reported from Main_Page, such as USA & GNU.

Links from Main_Page to other pages of the Wiki have been reported as
such; I need to see why they did not get followed, but not tonight.

I used
WGET http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Categoryoors
with arguments -r -l inf -k -np -w 20
but it seems to have attempted to fetch the whole site, including
Cement_Mixing. I stopped it after 250 pages.

Can you give a rough idea of how many linked pages there are in the
Wiki?

Does anyone know how a browser can reliably detect whether it is running
in a case sensitive filesystem like UNIX or a case-independent one like
Windows?

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2016 23:38, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
[...]

All the pages include links "up" the hierarchy - so for example there is
a link to the index and the list of categories on the side bar of every
page. So unless you avoid following those, you will in the end grab the
whole site.

Can you give a rough idea of how many linked pages there are in the
Wiki?

591 actual content pages, but 3245 if you include all the talk pages and
redirects etc.

Does anyone know how a browser can reliably detect whether it is running
in a case sensitive filesystem like UNIX or a case-independent one like
Windows?

If you retrieve the navigator.userAgent string, it will include the OS
as well as the browser.

For example on a win 8.1 machine you might get:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0

--
Cheers,

John.