Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/ is broken

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/
fails to work anymore,
but
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/
works ok for me now on this computer
why?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/
fails to work anymore,
but
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/
works ok for me now on this computer
why?

There was an old DNS entry to create the sub sub domain for www.wiki
that I did not bother to create for the new server. Partly because it
was not really its proper address, but mostly because you get slightly
odd behaviour if you try to use both.

e.g. If you log in on wiki. but then access a page via www. (say by
clicking on a link posted here) you appear to not be logged in again,
which gets a bit confusing.

If anyone is really missing www.wiki and can think of a good reason to
put it back, then I might be persuaded ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
There was an old DNS entry to create the sub sub domain for www.wiki
that I did not bother to create for the new server. Partly because it
was not really its proper address, but mostly because you get slightly
odd behaviour if you try to use both.

e.g. If you log in on wiki. but then access a page via www. (say by
clicking on a link posted here) you appear to not be logged in again,
which gets a bit confusing.

If anyone is really missing www.wiki and can think of a good reason to
put it back, then I might be persuaded ;-)

Might be worth serving a 301 redirect - people tend to type www. in
front of everything however many times you tell them.

Wiki / FAQ changes John Rumm UK diy 9 July 15th 09 12:25 AM
uk.d-i-y wiki [email protected] UK diy 27 May 23rd 07 10:46 PM
UK.d-i-y Wiki [email protected] UK diy 6 March 27th 07 01:03 PM
Trinitron Monitor Broken - Made Clicking Noises, Now Broken [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 3rd 05 10:57 PM
FA: Broken PIONEER DVL-V888 Laserdisc DVD / Broken sharp VL-H860U Hi8camcorder w/ LCD Screen robotron -X- Electronics Repair 0 March 24th 04 03:30 AM