Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. Nearer to the police state.

In article ,
Chris wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 08:57:24 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

And we all came out of Africa, in the beginning...

Rubbish.

Of course. We all come from Adam and Eve who were white republican US
citizens.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2016 08:57, Chris Hogg wrote:
Unless they have a particularly unusual surname or their ancestors
were landed gentry or nobility, anyone who thinks they can*reliably*
trace their ancestors back beyond about 1780-1800 is deluded. The
first census was taken in 1841 and gives reasonably reliable data on
parents names and those of their children, but before that there were
only Parish Registers, which are less detailed, and the whole chain
becomes increasingly unreliable and an act of faith, if not plain
guesswork, the further back one goes.

OTOH, we're all descended from the great names of the distant past,
simply by statistical argument, and we are all related to each other,
by the same argument. The oft-quoted example is King Charlemagne,
alive circa 800 AD, some 40 generations ago (depending on how many
years you allocate to a generation). Going back that far means we all
have approximately one trillion ancestors, 2^40, considerably more
than there were people on the planet (estimated at roughly 300
million), and Charlemagne is in there somewhere. See
http://tinyurl.com/beq788l .

Quote: "So what does all this mean, other than that your braggart
neighbor may really be descended from Charlemagne, or Confucius, or
Asoka? It means that you may be, too. More importantly, it means that
we're all considerably more inter-related than we might think. The
staggering number of ancestors each of us has (for example, perhaps
200 million of them in 1300 AD) also means that your ancestry is
probably more diverse than you think. Somewhere among those 200
million people who were your ancestors in 1300, there are probably
some folks who came from places you wouldn't think likely, or who were
members of ethnic groups that would surprise you. You'll never know
who all those 200 million people were, but they can be abundant fuel
for your imagination."

So in reality, we're*all* descended from Angles (and Celts, and
Saxons, and Vikings, and....etc.). It's nothing special!

And we all came out of Africa, in the beginning...(even Harry!).

Just because you go back 32 generations and have 4 billion ancestors
doesn't mean they are all _different_ ancestors. You've probably got a
lot less, but there's some degree of inbreeding going on.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/16 21:49, Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

However its been sort of postulated that 97% of the population of this
country prior to post war immigration were descended from William the
conqueror, and his serving wench as well . In other words statistically
the bloodlines cross so many times that its meaningless to claim special
ancestry. Everyone has it.

fully understood.