Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to raise HEAVY air conditioner? (so the tube is nearer the window)

I have a Delonghi NF170

It is very long

According to the manual it says keep the hose as short & curve-free as
possible for optimum air flow

However, my bedroom window is quite high

I have bought a exhaust tube extender (from Homebase - meant for
tumble dryers) and used PVC sealing tape. [However, there have been
problems]

How can I raise the dryer? If only I read books! I could place it
ontop of a pile of books!

Any other ideas? [that are cheap or free]

Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

According to the manual it says keep the hose as short & curve-free as
possible for optimum air flow

Sounds like free discharge flow is important and you will get anything but
free flow through one of those concertina type dryer ducts.
As well as raising the unit, you could consider some smooth air duct from
bes.co.uk. The bad news is you'll have to pay for it.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 5:14 pm, "TheScullster" wrote:
wrote

According to the manual it says keep the hose as short & curve-free as
possible for optimum air flow

Sounds like free discharge flow is important and you will get anything but
free flow through one of those concertina type dryer ducts.
As well as raising the unit, you could consider some smooth air duct from
bes.co.uk. The bad news is you'll have to pay for it.

Phil

I didn't realise the concertina type ones were unsuitable.

Ofcourse I'll pay for a new (or extended) duct - it's worth it.

But is there anyway I can get one the same diameter? I'd like to pick
one up (rather than buy online).. mind you if the weather is going to
suck this weekend I wont need it in a hurry...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

I didn't realise the concertina type ones were unsuitable.

They aren't necessarily unsuitable, but will not give smooth air flow away
from the unit.
Recommend that you talk to the aircon supplier tech support and describe
your current install.
It may be something totally unrelated that is compromising the efficiency of
the unit!

If they agree that the discharge duct is too restrictive, they are likely to
recommend the use of smooth bore duct with the minimum of bends.
I struggled to find a supplier of lightweight duct when I installed my last
ventilation fan.
BES will take phone orders (not just internet based ones) and deliver to
home or work address.
You can use a very short length of the concertina duct and jubilee clips to
connect the smooth bore to the unit outlet.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 25, 10:16 am, "TheScullster" wrote:
wrote

[...]

How good is the unit anyway ? i am looking to buy one and i don't know
if they really worth the money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 25, 10:20 am, Golan wrote:
[...]

if they really worth the money.- Hide quoted text -

It's fantastic. Got it during the heatwave last summer. But it does
depend on the size of your room.

One review (on a newspaper) said that it was good, but expensive to
run. My rent includes electricity so I don't know how efficient it is.

It's an absolute godsend.

John Lewis let me try it out in the store before I placed an order. I
paid £249. There are much cheaper no-name units.

My setup is just unusual my window is very high on the wall

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 25, 1:51 pm, wrote:

[...]

i know that they tend to get hot them self. is that true ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May 2007 02:20:12 -0700, Golan wrote:

How good is the unit anyway ? i am looking to buy one and i don't know
if they really worth the money.

What part of the country are you in ?

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 May 2007 01:27:42 -0700, Golan wrote:

On May 25, 4:50 pm, Derek Geldard wrote:
On 25 May 2007 02:20:12 -0700, Golan wrote:

How good is the unit anyway ? i am looking to buy one and i don't know
if they really worth the money.

What part of the country are you in ?

DG

London......

We have a fairly standard "Goldstar" one that the girls in the office
prefer not to use because of its high noise level and marginal
improvement in comfort. It also requires the window to be open which
then admits traffic noise (as well as being noisy itself). These
things (with the elephants trunk hot air discharge) are OK -ish
pointed at one individual who is sitting in the stream of chilled air.
But don't do much for the comfort level of the whole room.

The office is closing in 8 weeks and the unit will have to be disposed
of If you wanted one to play with, but I'm 230 miles away and it's
heavy and too expensive to ship, especially since it's nfu.

The (more expensive) 2-unit systems connected with flexible hoses seem
to work OK. In Italy they use them in shops, simply taking the
flexible pipes and cabling out through the front door (which remains
open ! ) to the condenser unit which is just outside around a corner.

DG

Quiet window air conditioner? Slorik Home Ownership 1 April 5th 07 05:12 AM
Window Air Conditioner Home Repair 2 June 20th 06 02:35 AM
Need Help Install Window Air Conditioner in Storm Window Frame Mike Home Repair 4 June 20th 06 01:10 AM
Milgard window and window air conditioner Harry Avant Home Repair 1 May 14th 06 06:56 PM
Window Air Conditioner Panels Ish Home Repair 6 July 15th 05 10:59 AM