Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to make a long pencil trough in a piece of hardwood?

Perhaps I'm being daft but I have yet to come up with a solution.

I want to fashion a pencil trough in the centre of a piece of beech.
Dimensions of the trough to be 16 x 1.5 x 0.5 ins. Needs to be round in
section with radiused ends. Finished item will be 21x4x1.5

I don't have a router or spindle moulder, not sure that these would help
anyway.
Something like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/IMG_5311.jpg
but larger. The one in the image is 4 x 5/16. Hopefully more neatly done.

My best solution so far is to drill out most of the waste and then whittle
away with gouge(s). Then abrasives with a shaped sanding block. I fear this
is not the right approach and that I am overlooking something simple.
I have seen similar before but never wondered how they were made.

Ping! Possible light bulb moment. Angle grinder with arbortech (or similar)
cutter. Great deal of care required to avoid wrecking the job. I've seen or
used an arbortech cutter. Like most here, I have an angle grinder.
Another possibility would be to cut the length out of the board and skew cut
it to radius. Then glue the ends back on. Then shape the ends with gouges,
abrasives etc.
I don't like skew cutting and I dont have any gouges. These can be overcome.

Any constructive thoughts please?
Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 February 2016 19:08:23 UTC, Nick wrote:

[...]

Talk about making life hard. Get a router! It can be done with a smaller bit if you can accept a part flat part radiussed bottom. Done in minutes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
Perhaps I'm being daft but I have yet to come up with a solution.

I want to fashion a pencil trough in the centre of a piece of beech.
Dimensions of the trough to be 16 x 1.5 x 0.5 ins. Needs to be round in
section with radiused ends. Finished item will be 21x4x1.5

I don't have a router or spindle moulder, not sure that these would help
anyway.

A router would work fine.

Something like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/IMG_5311.jpg
but larger. The one in the image is 4 x 5/16. Hopefully more neatly done.

You wouldn’t get the tapering up to nothing at the ends with a router easily
tho.

My best solution so far is to drill out most of the waste and then whittle
away with gouge(s). Then abrasives with a shaped sanding block. I fear
this is not the right approach and that I am overlooking something simple.
I have seen similar before but never wondered how they were made.

With a router normally.

Ping! Possible light bulb moment. Angle grinder with arbortech (or
similar) cutter. Great deal of care required to avoid wrecking the job.
I've seen or used an arbortech cutter. Like most here, I have an angle
grinder.

A router would do a much better job. Not cheap for just that tho.

Another possibility would be to cut the length out of the board and skew
cut it to radius. Then glue the ends back on. Then shape the ends with
gouges, abrasives etc.

I don't like skew cutting and I dont have any gouges. These can be
overcome.

Any constructive thoughts please?

Use a router, bought, borrowed or hired.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2016 19:50, Chris Hogg wrote:

A really sharp gouge, a mallet and take it slowly. Don't try to gouge
out too much at a time. Repeat passes. You may not even need a mallet
- use the heel of your hand to hit the gouge.

Use a mallet, you can damage your hand if you keep hitting the gouge handle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2016 19:08, Nick wrote:
[...]

The obvious one would be to buy or borrow a router and suitable ball end
cutter.

However if you want a hand tool approach then, for a one off job you
could make yourself a "scratch stock" - basically a bit of metal with
the right shape ground/filed into it, that can be mounted in a L shaped
block of wood to guide it along the edge of the wood you shaping. You
scrape ever deeper with multiple passes.

Nice example of how to make and use one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-sp3xR-vt8

A posher option would be a number 45, 50, or 55 plow / combination
plane. They can often be had for not much on ebay.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Angle grinder if you have one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:
[...]

If you make some sort of guide jig you can use a drill with a ball burr
or router cutter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Even sillier than you usually manage. A router leaves an angle
grinder for dead on both the ease of use and the result you get.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can tell Spring is around the corner, after months of nobody mentioning "angle grinder" out of hibernation they come. I had better go and check my pair, dust them off and make sure they are ready to go!

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you make some sort of guide jig you can use a drill with a ball burr
or router cutter

These might help?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pc-ROTAR...-/310838729333

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 February 2016 08:48:52 UTC, F Murtz wrote:
Nick wrote:
[...]

I'd love to see you use a router bit in a drill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Not relevant to what you want to do, but I have a pen holder which
consists of a block of wood with holes drilled in it vertically. Nicely
varnished, and with a little strip of green felt on the base.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2016 19:08, Nick wrote:
Perhaps I'm being daft but I have yet to come up with a solution.

I want to fashion a pencil

If you had stopped half-way through your subject, this might have been
an answer:

http://www.staedtler.co.uk/en/newsro...orld-record-3/

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:
[...]

Have done, no problem.
Where do you see a problem?
It all depends on the setup.
I regularly use things like this in a mill drill and a bench drill and
if you set up your hand drill in a similar fashion there is no problem.
It will not work as well as a router but it is only a speed problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:
[...]

There's the point, you'd need the control of a bench mounted drill. 99% of routerless people only have a handheld drill.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:
[...]

ONLY a speed problem ? What speed does your hand drill achieve 1300rpm. Most drill presses only get to about 2500rpm.may Most routers run at over 10,000 rpm and higher speeds would be required with smaller bits. 18000 and over would be ideal in the majority of cases.

I'd love to see the finish you get with a hand drill, and excessive sideways force if using a bench drill will do it no good at all.

If the o.p. cares to rent/borrow a router he would only need two small ramps at either end of the cut to gradually rise the bit off the surface. This will give him the end finish he desires.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:

[...]

I've never tried a router bit at low speed, but can't help thinking the issues are obvious. I did try an angle grinder disc once in a drill, due to the grinder failing on a job and not being able to go get another. It was 100% useless, no progress whatever.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2016 7:08 PM, Nick wrote:
[...]

Or, if you fancy a bit of character, drop a hot rod in place and burn
your way down?

...Ray.

--
One click voting to change the world.
..https://secure.avaaz.org/en/index.php

Phase Conjugate Waves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wwdmwv0zk

....and, Why You Know Nothing
http://www.delusionalinsects.com/sty...-32/index.html

Startpage - The PRIVATE Search Engine!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/16 19:01, RayL12 wrote:
[...]

You can buy a bit for a drill which is like a rounded wood rasp, with a
rounded end. You would need either a steady hand or some kind of jig
and, while a normal electric drill isn't designed for sideways pressure
on the bearings, for a one off, you should be OK. I think they are sold
under the Wolf brand, probably others.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2019 12:58, Brian Reay wrote:
On 09/02/16 19:01, RayL12 wrote:
On 06/02/2016Â* 7:08 PM, Nick wrote:
Perhaps I'm being daft but I have yet to come up with a solution.

I want to fashion a pencil trough in the centre of a piece of beech.
Dimensions of the trough to be 16 x 1.5 x 0.5 ins. Needs to be round in
section with radiused ends. Finished item will be 21x4x1.5

wood carvers gouges, coffee, and a day.

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/16 19:01, RayL12 wrote:
[...]

Bodge together a jig to hold and guide the drill from offcuts of wood
and just buy the a cheap router bit to put in the drill.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
On 09/02/16 19:01, RayL12 wrote:
On 06/02/2016Â* 7:08 PM, Nick wrote:

Any constructive thoughts please?
Nick

Â*Or, if you fancy a bit of character, drop a hot rod in place and burn
your way down?

Â*...Ray.

You can buy a bit for a drill which is like a rounded wood rasp, with a
rounded end. You would need either a steady hand or some kind of jig
and, while a normal electric drill isn't designed for sideways pressure
on the bearings, for a one off, you should be OK. I think they are sold
under the Wolf brand, probably others.

After 3 years he might have already solved it....

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls