Posted to rec.woodworking
t t is offline

Default Three Piece Inlay - Took Way Too Long

I did a smallish inlay today that was 1 1/4" square in its gross
dimensions.

I first cut and excavated a 1 1/4" square into the cherry chest that I
was working on. Then I cut, fit and glued in a square of Ceylonese
Satinwood veneer. Then I cut and excavated that to fit a 7/8" square
of Central American Redheart that was sawn out to slightly more than
the thickness of the Satinwood veneer, leaving a border of the
Satinwood showing. Then I cut a numeral "1" out of holly on the
bandsaw, rasped, filed and sanded, and set that in the center of the
Redheart square. leaving a scant 3/32" space at top and bottom showing
on the Redheart.

This took me almost six hours!

If anyone has a better way of doing this, I'd like to hear about it.

tom watson

(who didn't get to put the first coat of finish on the chest today)

Posted to rec.woodworking

t wrote:

This took me almost six hours!

If anyone has a better way of doing this, I'd like to hear about it.

Hmm - I think I might have been able to shorten the total time to
between 15 and 20 minutes using my 'bot. vbg

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking
t t is offline

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:09:57 -0500, Morris Dovey
wrote:

t wrote:

This took me almost six hours!

If anyone has a better way of doing this, I'd like to hear about it.

Hmm - I think I might have been able to shorten the total time to
between 15 and 20 minutes using my 'bot. vbg

You really do Suck, Morris.

And I mean that in the best possible way.

tom watson
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

t wrote:

This took me almost six hours!

If anyone has a better way of doing this, I'd like to hear about it.

Hmm - I think I might have been able to shorten the total time to
between 15 and 20 minutes using my 'bot. vbg

You really do Suck, Morris.

And I mean that in the best possible way.

Well, the job could go faster but I allowed for programming time and for
a trial run on scrap veneer.

A /third/ run could probably be done in under a minute - but you'd
probably still want to spend at least a minute gluing and another minute
and a half sanding.

What's it going to take to get you to build one of these things for
yourself?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking
t t is offline

wrote:

t wrote:

This took me almost six hours!

If anyone has a better way of doing this, I'd like to hear about it.
Hmm - I think I might have been able to shorten the total time to
between 15 and 20 minutes using my 'bot. vbg

You really do Suck, Morris.

And I mean that in the best possible way.

Well, the job could go faster but I allowed for programming time and for
a trial run on scrap veneer.

A /third/ run could probably be done in under a minute - but you'd
probably still want to spend at least a minute gluing and another minute
and a half sanding.

What's it going to take to get you to build one of these things for
yourself?

Check the pix out on ABPW and give me a clue.

tom watson

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

t wrote:

This took me almost six hours!

If anyone has a better way of doing this, I'd like to hear about it.
Hmm - I think I might have been able to shorten the total time to
between 15 and 20 minutes using my 'bot. vbg

You really do Suck, Morris.

And I mean that in the best possible way.

Well, the job could go faster but I allowed for programming time and for
a trial run on scrap veneer.

A /third/ run could probably be done in under a minute - but you'd
probably still want to spend at least a minute gluing and another minute
and a half sanding.

What's it going to take to get you to build one of these things for
yourself?

Check the pix out on ABPW and give me a clue.

Not bad. I think I might have run the redheart grain horizontally, but
that's just me - everybody's an art critic and if you'd done that,
someone else would have said to run the grain vertically. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"t" wrote in message
This took me almost six hours!

between 15 and 20 minutes using my 'bot. vbg

You really do Suck, Morris.

One might argue that he got six hours of pleasure out of building it. Morris
got maybe twenty minutes worth with most of that pleasure going to his thumb
which pushed the button to get the 'bot started.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If anyone has a better way of doing this, I'd like to hear about it.

Need a pic.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking
t t is offline

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:11:53 -0700, Zz Yzx
wrote:

If anyone has a better way of doing this, I'd like to hear about it.

Need a pic.

-Zz

Pix posted on ABPW.

This photo is prior to sanding flat and coloring in but it should give
you the general idea.

tom watson

Posted to rec.woodworking

t wrote:
[...]

I use my Sawzall. Does great inlay work. Augmented with a hand sledge
and a cold chisel.
boop,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 19, 10:47*pm, jo4hn wrote:
t wrote:
[...]

I use an adze for my inlay work. I call it Adztech.

groan,
Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:
t wrote:
[...]

Just remember to never force any fit. Use a bigger hammer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

t wrote:

If anyone has a better way of doing this, I'd like to hear about it.

The following dropped into my mailbox this morning. I've never done an
inlay by hand, so I'll just pass it along without comment:

If you post again about the inlay that Tom Watson said took too long,
could you pass on that he did it the wrong way. When doing it all by
hand, it is much easier to do when you start with the inner most piece,
get that to the right size. Then, use a sharp knife going around that
piece to score the design on the next piece and cut that out. Trying to
fit a piece to a cutout is really difficult. Adjusting the cutout to fit
the piece is much easier.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

inlay Dr. Deb Woodworking 2 June 22nd 08 04:06 PM
Banded Inlay - inlay.jpg (0/1) ray Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 May 11th 07 04:30 PM
Banded Inlay - inlay.jpg (1/1) ray Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 May 9th 07 10:00 PM
OT - New One piece Bearings versus two piece style stone Metalworking 4 March 27th 06 03:56 PM
Toilet questions- 1 piece versus 2 piece toilets KOS Home Ownership 1 September 29th 05 03:25 PM