Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 15mm pipe 1/2" BSP tap conector won't fit Grohe tap

Recently bought Grohe replacement taps (single H & C taps).
Original copper pipework in c. 12 year old new-build house.
Rigid 15mm copper pipes coming up to traditional rigid tap connectors with 1/2" BSP tap connector nuts, and fibre washers.

THE PROBLEM is that these new taps lack the slight recess on the inside of the threaded bore - where the small protruding part of the copper (around which the fibre washers seats) - should protrude slightly into the threaded bore of the base of the taps.

Obvious solution is to fit tap flexi connectors.

But is there such a thing as a suitable washer that would allow the original rigid tap connectors to be used?

(I'm imagining an extra-thick fibre tap-connector washer that is thick enough to get above the slight protrusion on the tap connector)

I'm sure this must be a not-uncommon problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" Wrote in message:
Recently bought Grohe replacement taps (single H & C taps).
Original copper pipework in c. 12 year old new-build house.
Rigid 15mm copper pipes coming up to traditional rigid tap connectors with 1/2" BSP tap connector nuts, and fibre washers.

THE PROBLEM is that these new taps lack the slight recess on the inside of the threaded bore - where the small protruding part of the copper (around which the fibre washers seats) - should protrude slightly into the threaded bore of the base of the taps.

Obvious solution is to fit tap flexi connectors.

But is there such a thing as a suitable washer that would allow the original rigid tap connectors to be used?

(I'm imagining an extra-thick fibre tap-connector washer that is thick enough to get above the slight protrusion on the tap connector)

I'm sure this must be a not-uncommon problem.

I'd be dubious about doing that, sounds like it would be asking
for a leak. But are you sure it is 1/2" BSP anyway?

I'm sure I've read that some European taps having a metric fitting?
Chris French

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 12:03:28 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
" Wrote in message:
[...]

Quick google suggests you need a 12mm connector, not 1/2". Quick search of the Grohe site suggests there should be a flexi tail with the tap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Quick google suggests you need a 12mm connector, not 1/2". Quick search of the Grohe site suggests there should be a flexi tail with the tap.

I've bought 1/2" BSP tap flexis and they fit, so I think I can be confident about the thread size.

Pity there's no ready solution to getting rigid tap connectors to fit the taps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The flexis presumably uses flat rubber washers? I suppose you could
grind off the spigots on the on the rigid connectors, and use rubber
washers.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Yes - flat rubber washers in the flexis.

And yes, I could probably reduce the spigots in the copper rigid connectors in seconds down below the thickness of the washers - if it were not for them being tight under the washbasin and inaccessible.

Flexis it will be I think.

15mm/½" pipe fittings PeterC UK diy 27 April 30th 11 10:43 PM
B&Q 15mm Speedfit pipe Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 5 April 19th 10 10:03 PM
Does exist a 15mm pre-bent copper pipe section with tight (approx 15mm radius) bend Peter UK diy 3 August 28th 05 02:57 PM
15mm Flexible Pipe? [email protected] UK diy 2 June 3rd 05 12:18 PM
Joining 15mm pipe to older pipe [email protected] UK diy 2 June 3rd 05 01:00 AM