Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 15mm/½" pipe fittings

I need to T off a water pipe which I'm fairly certain is ½". It's covered in
crud and lumpy paint and is at the back of a kitchen cabinet, so not easy to
work on or measure. It's the original from about 1950 so unlikely to be
15mm.

I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the system
(difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean.
Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

Cheers.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 28, 8:54*am, PeterC wrote:
I need to T off a water pipe which I'm fairly certain is ". It's covered in
crud and lumpy paint and is at the back of a kitchen cabinet, so not easy to
work on or measure. It's the original from about 1950 so unlikely to be
15mm.

I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the system
(difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean.
Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

In my experience compression needs a fairly smooth pipe too. Need to
be "clean" though. I had a fitting dribble just because of a deep
scratch that the olive did not reach the bottom of.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
I need to T off a water pipe which I'm fairly certain is ½". It's covered in
crud and lumpy paint and is at the back of a kitchen cabinet, so not easy to
work on or measure. It's the original from about 1950 so unlikely to be
15mm.

I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the system
(difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean.
Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

Compression fittings need a finish at least as good as push-on. If you
get the paint off, the clamp on type used for washing machines are more
tolerant of bad pipes.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 08:54:43 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

15mm and 1/2" are as near as damn it the same. So a compression
fitting will fit, you will still have to get most of the crud/paint
off though.

It's 22mm and 3/4" that are significantly different. Solder is a
no-no but you can murder up as 22mm olive onto 3/4" succesfully but
better to get a proper 3/4" olive.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 00:58:21 -0700, sm_jamieson wrote:

I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the
system (difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean.
Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit?

I'd clean it with wire wool, a wire pan scourer or plumber's abrasive
strip anyway, at least so you can see if the pipe's got any dings where
you'd be trying to fit the joint.

In my experience compression needs a fairly smooth pipe too. Need to be
"clean" though. I had a fitting dribble just because of a deep scratch
that the olive did not reach the bottom of. Simon.

Occasionally happens to me that a compression fitting doesn't seal
properly, in which case I lob in a gob of Boss White (Universal - the
sort that's good for potable as well as non-potable).

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Religion is like a penis. It is fine to have one. It's ok to be proud of
it. Just don't wave it around in public or try to shove it down my
child's throat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 28, 8:54*am, PeterC wrote:
I need to T off a water pipe which I'm fairly certain is ". It's covered in
crud and lumpy paint and is at the back of a kitchen cabinet, so not easy to
work on or measure. It's the original from about 1950 so unlikely to be
15mm.

I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the system
(difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean.
Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

Cheers.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

Welcome to the world of working at arms length with poor visibility
when Murphys law applies!

You will need to clean the pipe down to bare metal (paint stripper,
scraper followed by emery tape and then pan-scour pad or wire wool if
you like digging bits of metal out of your fingers) If you use
compression fittings make sure you have imperial olives to hand (Plumb
Centre or other proper supplier). Also a smear of Hawk white on the
olive will assist it to slide into the compression cone and tighten
onto the clean pipe. A pipeslice tool will simplify getting a square
cut end with a lead-in on the end to assist you to insert the fitting.
You should also learn the traditional plumbers incantations although
somehow most workmen find ready inspiration to create their own.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2011 08:54, PeterC wrote:
I need to T off a water pipe which I'm fairly certain is ½". It's covered in
crud and lumpy paint and is at the back of a kitchen cabinet, so not easy to
work on or measure. It's the original from about 1950 so unlikely to be
15mm.

I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the system
(difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean.
Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

As other have said, you need a clean pipe whichever fitting you use.
Paint stripper to remove the paint, then if you have room to fit a
compression fitting you should have room to use a pipe cleaning tool
like this:

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item...gle/sn/MON2915

It is a lot easier to use than wire wool or emery cloth and you can be
sure it has done the bit you can't see as well as it has done the bit
you can see.

If you go to a proper plumbers' supplier, you can also buy a half-inch
olive to replace the 15mm olive in the compression fitting. As others
have said, this is less critical than using a 3/4 inch olive with a 22mm
fitting, but it is a slightly better way to do the job.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2011 09:26, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

As other have said, you need a clean pipe whichever fitting you use.
Paint stripper to remove the paint, then if you have room to fit a
compression fitting you should have room to use a pipe cleaning tool
like this:

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item...gle/sn/MON2915

It is a lot easier to use than wire wool or emery cloth and you can be
sure it has done the bit you can't see as well as it has done the bit
you can see.

However, I would recommend cleaning the pipe *before* cutting it so that
gobby bits of paint don't make the cutter run out of true. That cleaning
device looks as if you have to feed a cut end of pipe through it. I
suppose you could do the cleaning in two stages . .

If you go to a proper plumbers' supplier, you can also buy a half-inch
olive to replace the 15mm olive in the compression fitting. As others
have said, this is less critical than using a 3/4 inch olive with a 22mm
fitting, but it is a slightly better way to do the job.

Yes 1/2" pipe is only *slightly* bigger than 15mm - and I've always
found that, if the pipe is really clean, 15mm olives will go on ok.
[I've even managed to get 1/2" pipe into 15mm copper push-fit fittings].
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the
system (difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean.
Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

You need a clean smooth pipe for a compression fitting to work too -
indeed a solder type is likely to be better with a scratched one. If you
use an aggressive flux.

--
*Cleaned by Stevie Wonder, checked by David Blunkett*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2011 10:38, Roger Mills wrote:
On 28/04/2011 09:26, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

As other have said, you need a clean pipe whichever fitting you use.
Paint stripper to remove the paint, then if you have room to fit a
compression fitting you should have room to use a pipe cleaning tool
like this:

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item...gle/sn/MON2915

It is a lot easier to use than wire wool or emery cloth and you can be
sure it has done the bit you can't see as well as it has done the bit
you can see.

However, I would recommend cleaning the pipe *before* cutting it so that
gobby bits of paint don't make the cutter run out of true. That cleaning
device looks as if you have to feed a cut end of pipe through it.

Indeed. It is intended to both clean the pipe and deburr the cut end.

suppose you could do the cleaning in two stages . .

I find the pipe cutter I use tends to rip its way through any lumpy
paint deposits, but taking the paint off first would not do any harm.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Apr 2011 08:07:45 GMT, YAPH wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 00:58:21 -0700, sm_jamieson wrote:

I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the
system (difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean.
Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit?

I'd clean it with wire wool, a wire pan scourer or plumber's abrasive
strip anyway, at least so you can see if the pipe's got any dings where
you'd be trying to fit the joint.

In my experience compression needs a fairly smooth pipe too. Need to be
"clean" though. I had a fitting dribble just because of a deep scratch
that the olive did not reach the bottom of. Simon.

Occasionally happens to me that a compression fitting doesn't seal
properly, in which case I lob in a gob of Boss White (Universal - the
sort that's good for potable as well as non-potable).

Oh yes - a fair covering of that, just to make sure. It's in a place where
it could drip for a while without being noticed.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:01:12 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

PeterC wrote:
I need to T off a water pipe which I'm fairly certain is ½". It's covered in
crud and lumpy paint and is at the back of a kitchen cabinet, so not easy to
work on or measure. It's the original from about 1950 so unlikely to be
15mm.

I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the system
(difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean.
Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

Compression fittings need a finish at least as good as push-on. If you
get the paint off, the clamp on type used for washing machines are more
tolerant of bad pipes.

Good tip, thanks.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:03:17 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 08:54:43 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

15mm and 1/2" are as near as damn it the same. So a compression
fitting will fit, you will still have to get most of the crud/paint
off though.

It's 22mm and 3/4" that are significantly different. Solder is a
no-no but you can murder up as 22mm olive onto 3/4" succesfully but
better to get a proper 3/4" olive.

That's the bit I'd forgotten. It was ¾" - 22mm that I had trouble with about
15 years ago.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:26:49 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

[...]

Bookmarked, ta.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 10:50:58 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the
system (difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean.
Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

You need a clean smooth pipe for a compression fitting to work too -
indeed a solder type is likely to be better with a scratched one. If you
use an aggressive flux.

Yes, the solder will fill in the scratches etc., but it's not too good a
place to use a torch. If I do solder, it'll be the proper stuff as all of
the rest of the house is tin-lead.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2011 10:38, Roger Mills wrote:
On 28/04/2011 09:26, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

As other have said, you need a clean pipe whichever fitting you use.
Paint stripper to remove the paint, then if you have room to fit a
compression fitting you should have room to use a pipe cleaning tool
like this:

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item...gle/sn/MON2915

It is a lot easier to use than wire wool or emery cloth and you can be
sure it has done the bit you can't see as well as it has done the bit
you can see.

However, I would recommend cleaning the pipe *before* cutting it so that
gobby bits of paint don't make the cutter run out of true. That cleaning
device looks as if you have to feed a cut end of pipe through it. I
suppose you could do the cleaning in two stages . .

I use Nitromoors to remove the old paint then a pipe cleaning tool once cut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:01:12 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

Compression fittings need a finish at least as good as push-on. If you
get the paint off, the clamp on type used for washing machines are more
tolerant of bad pipes.

If you mean the self-piercing connectors which make a small hole in the
side of the pipe, restricting the flow, and rely on a rubber washer for a
long-term seal, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole!

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

No Rules OK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2011 09:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 08:54:43 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

15mm and 1/2" are as near as damn it the same. So a compression
fitting will fit, you will still have to get most of the crud/paint
off though.

IIRC from many years ago 15mm olives (and 15mm yorkshire fittings) are a
very tight fit on 1/2" pipe. It will need to be thoroughly cleaned
before even attempting use of a compression fitting.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 20:59:39 +0100, Old Codger wrote:

IIRC from many years ago 15mm olives (and 15mm yorkshire fittings) are a
very tight fit on 1/2" pipe. It will need to be thoroughly cleaned
before even attempting use of a compression fitting.

There must be loads I've fitted without realising it: 1/2" is so close to
15mm it's hard to tell.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus and Pop Psychologists are from
Uranus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Apr 2011 19:45:15 GMT, YAPH wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:01:12 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

Compression fittings need a finish at least as good as push-on. If you
get the paint off, the clamp on type used for washing machines are more
tolerant of bad pipes.

If you mean the self-piercing connectors which make a small hole in the
side of the pipe, restricting the flow, and rely on a rubber washer for a
long-term seal, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole!

Ah - realisation! That's is what's on there atm; I'm not familiar with the
things.
Yes, the flow (to a hose pipe) is very poor, so I want to put in proper
piping and tap (vested interest: I water her garden and use her water (ooer
missus!) to water mine, as I'm on a meter) so that the hose is faster than I
can take water in cans.
Even if I tried to use another part of the pipe I'd still want to seal the
existing hole and a straight end-feed fitting might be too short to cover
the hole, so a T would be preferable.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2011 22:20, YAPH wrote:
On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 20:59:39 +0100, Old Codger wrote:

IIRC from many years ago 15mm olives (and 15mm yorkshire fittings) are a
very tight fit on 1/2" pipe. It will need to be thoroughly cleaned
before even attempting use of a compression fitting.

There must be loads I've fitted without realising it: 1/2" is so close to
15mm it's hard to tell.

Perhaps 1/2" has been eroded over the last 30 odd years. :-)

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
I need to T off a water pipe which I'm fairly certain is ½". It's covered
in
crud and lumpy paint and is at the back of a kitchen cabinet, so not easy
work on or measure. It's the original from about 1950 so unlikely to be
15mm.

I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the
system
(difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean.
Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

Cheers.
--

15mm compression Tee

Need to clean pipe well, smear olive with boss whiote and all should be
fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:58:49 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
I need to T off a water pipe which I'm fairly certain is ½". It's covered
in
crud and lumpy paint and is at the back of a kitchen cabinet, so not easy
work on or measure. It's the original from about 1950 so unlikely to be
15mm.

I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the
system
(difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean.
Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as
that also requires a smooth pipe.

Cheers.
--

15mm compression Tee

Need to clean pipe well, smear olive with boss whiote and all should be
fine.

Seems to be the least difficult/fraught method so I'll give it a go.
Fortunately I overhauled the stopcock a couple of years ago, so that works
properly and is about 2m from the workplace.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

Whilst the 15mm olive slips over a 1/2" pipe I've had trouble getting the
pipe to go fully into the body, I guess it needs reaming by a few thou.

I also find that the 1/2" pipe won't be persuaded into a 15mm m-m fitting

Plastic push fits seem ok but I do like to be able to keep an eye on them.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:

I also find that the 1/2" pipe won't be persuaded into a 15mm m-m fitting

Erratum

I also find that the 1/2" pipe won't be persuaded into a 15mm m-m end feed
fitting
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

OK, thanks. I've just realised that I have some old ½" pipe (in case it
comes in handy) so I can try out various fittings outside the confines of a
dark cupboard :-)
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 15mm/ " pipe fittings

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 10:33:45 +0100, andrew wrote:

Whilst the 15mm olive slips over a 1/2" pipe I've had trouble getting
the pipe to go fully into the body, I guess it needs reaming by a few
thou.

Probably easier to take a bit of emery paper to the end of the
pipe... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.