Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default High end random orbit sanders

As regular readers may know I dabble in a bit of wood work from time to
time. I was toying with updating my RO sander (currently a "Green" Bosch
PEX 400).

The key requirements are something that can cope with everything from
aggressive removal, down to fairly fine finishing. Must be very low
vibration, good dust control, highly controllable, and preferably light
weight.

Contenders seem to be one of the RO sanders with the option of a
"geared" or driven rotary mode like one of the Festool Rotex range, or
one of the Mirka DEROS sanders.

Anyone used any / all of them and have any comments?

Any other models you would recommend?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2016 16:59, John Rumm wrote:
As regular readers may know I dabble in a bit of wood work from time to
time. I was toying with updating my RO sander (currently a "Green" Bosch
PEX 400).

The key requirements are something that can cope with everything from
aggressive removal, down to fairly fine finishing. Must be very low
vibration, good dust control, highly controllable, and preferably light
weight.

Contenders seem to be one of the RO sanders with the option of a
"geared" or driven rotary mode like one of the Festool Rotex range, or
one of the Mirka DEROS sanders.

Anyone used any / all of them and have any comments?

Any other models you would recommend?

I have a bosch gex125 (blue) and I think its pretty good.
I don't know how well it collects dust as I always use it with a bosch
vac to collect the dust.

Its sanded nearly all the walls in the house now without any sign of wear.

The previous pex (green) burnt out after a couple of walls.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2016 17:15, dennis@home wrote:

[...]

Yup should have said I will always use a collector with it, so I am not
too worried about its dust collection abilities on its own.

Its sanded nearly all the walls in the house now without any sign of wear.

The previous pex (green) burnt out after a couple of walls.

I find the PEX is a bit too tall to be comfortable to use single handed
on anything other than a horizontal surface...

(to be fair I am not into sanding walls much either - probably only done
it once in the last ten years)

--
Cheers,

John.