Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Random orbit sanders throwing discs off

Is it me?

I have a Bosch PEX400 which is a couple of years old. Disc attachment is by
loop and pile (Velcro type). In use, the thing works well for a few minutes
and then throws its disc off. It will then not re-attach reliably,
suggesting that the loop pile is no more. A new disc restores it to health
for another couple of minutes. Altering the rotation speed appears to have
no effect on when the disc becomes an UFO. Holes are carefully lined up each
time with the base. Deliberately obstructing the holes make no difference
though.

I consider this to be a fault as it happens regardless of disc brand,
including Bosch, so I bought a new sander last week. It was a B&Q own brand
Mac Allister, bought as a cheapy because my Bosch is in France. Spec is dual
base 150 and 125mm, variable speed random orbit.

This one shows exactly the same symptoms. Disc nowhere near worn and becomes
useless.

So is it me, or is this to be expected?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a black and decker multi sander (can't remember the exact model
off hand) with the same type of "velcro" attachment. I had the same
problem a couple of years back when it was brand new. The supplied
round discs vibrated loose and became UFOs within minutes. I got some
more from B&Q (don't remember the brand) and they behaved the same. I
couldn't believe I was doing anything wrong. B&Q grudgingly refunded
the discs. Since the sander works fine with the angled base for
detailing I held onto it & I used it loads for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 May, 09:20, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
wrote:

This one shows exactly the same symptoms. Disc nowhere near worn and becomes
useless.

Are the disks any good? If their pile is too short, or too
compressed, they won't grip on anything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
I have a Bosch PEX400 which is a couple of years old. Disc attachment is
by loop and pile (Velcro type). In use, the thing works well for a few
minutes and then throws its disc off. It will then not re-attach
reliably, suggesting that the loop pile is no more. A new disc restores
it to health for another couple of minutes. Altering the rotation speed
appears to have no effect on when the disc becomes an UFO. Holes are
carefully lined up each time with the base. Deliberately obstructing the
holes make no difference though.

Have you tried washing the pad on the machine? Dust etc can stop the loop
and hoop working properly. My similar Bosch is several years old and still
ok.

--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
[...]

Also don't run the sander when the disc is not in contact with the work, and
watch when sanding the edges of your job.

I nearly lost an eye once when a disc went AWOL on my bosch sander, still
got the scars to prove it. LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 15, 8:20 pm, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
wrote:
Is it me?

I have a Bosch PEX400 which is a couple of years old. Disc attachment is by
loop and pile (Velcro type). In use, the thing works well for a few minutes
and then throws its disc off. It will then not re-attach reliably,
suggesting that the loop pile is no more. A new disc restores it to health
for another couple of minutes.

I was able to buy a new (non-Bosch) Velcro pad for my Bosch that made
it work again. It was surprisingly cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I had the same problem after a couple of years use and put it down to
wearing out the backing/velcro bit the disks attach to. Ordered a new
backing/velcro disk and the problem was fixed.

--
David in Normandy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I've got the B&Q own brand RAS and its been a great toll, never had a disc
come off.

What I have noticed with my Bosch PMF 180 multi tool, when used in sanding
mode, is that sometimes part of the velco stuff from the sanding sheet stays
on the holder & then the sheets fall off. It seems like the grip of the
velcro is stronger that the adhesion between the velcro & the abrasive
sheet. Clean up with a stiff brush sorted it.

I think it was a combination of cheap discs & them being stored in slightly
damp conditions.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Random Orbit Polisher [email protected] Woodworking 14 February 7th 08 03:40 PM
Random orbit sanders - green Bosch PEX400 vs blue Bosch GEX 125? Andy Dingley UK diy 4 January 12th 08 08:56 PM
Random Orbit Sanders David Lang UK diy 1 July 15th 05 12:35 AM
5" Random orbit sander operation MH Woodworking 2 August 3rd 04 04:53 PM
Finish Sander, 1/4 Sht or Random Orbit? RogerN Woodworking 14 November 20th 03 04:26 PM