Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric shower - repair or replace?

We have a Triton T80xr 10.5kW shower that's about 4 years old maybe.
It's used twice daily and has performed brilliantly up to now but one
of the heating elements has blown so either a new heater can assembly
(about £45 delivered from Triton) is needed or the whole thing needs
replacing.

Given the use it's had and will continue to have in the future, I can't
help thinking that we've certainly done well out of it and also the
possibility of some other part failing in the not-too-distant future
makes me think we should replace the whole shower.

However, they no longer make this model so it could end up a right
nightmare trying to match pipe and cable entry points and/or tiling
etc., so that makes me inclined to just replace the faulty part.

What to do? Is it worth repairing or should we replace?

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
We have a Triton T80xr 10.5kW shower that's about 4 years old maybe.
It's used twice daily and has performed brilliantly up to now but one of
the heating elements has blown so either a new heater can assembly
(about £45 delivered from Triton) is needed or the whole thing needs
replacing.

Given the use it's had and will continue to have in the future, I can't
help thinking that we've certainly done well out of it and also the
possibility of some other part failing in the not-too-distant future
makes me think we should replace the whole shower.

However, they no longer make this model so it could end up a right
nightmare trying to match pipe and cable entry points and/or tiling
etc., so that makes me inclined to just replace the faulty part.

What to do? Is it worth repairing or should we replace?

---

Estimating the cost of a new shower and the coast/effort of adapting the
installation, it seems like £45 is small beer and well worth trying as a
first step.
Take care because some of the parts inside will be plastic and could
have become brittle and you will possible have to move/loosen and reseal
these.
There is almost certainly a youtube video out there with tips and
possible info on sealants to use/avoid.
A neutral cure silicone is not likely to do any harm.

Good Luck!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 21:46:18 UTC, John wrote:
We have a Triton T80xr 10.5kW shower that's about 4 years old maybe.
It's used twice daily and has performed brilliantly up to now but one
of the heating elements has blown so either a new heater can assembly
(about £45 delivered from Triton) is needed or the whole thing needs
replacing.

Given the use it's had and will continue to have in the future, I can't
help thinking that we've certainly done well out of it and also the
possibility of some other part failing in the not-too-distant future
makes me think we should replace the whole shower.

However, they no longer make this model so it could end up a right
nightmare trying to match pipe and cable entry points and/or tiling
etc., so that makes me inclined to just replace the faulty part.

What to do? Is it worth repairing or should we replace?

4 years isn't very impressive. I'm tempted to say spend the £45 on a drain heat exchanger and your reduced power triton should be fine. And you'll save money and get longer HW delivery.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
[...]

If you are going to waste money then would it not be spent wasting it on
buying rocking horse ****?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Links please to this mythical £45 drain heat exchanger and instructions on
how to retrofit it to the OP's drainage system.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 22:27:51 UTC, Tim wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

We had a thread on this not long ago, but I'm not finding it. It covered these questions & rather more.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 January 2016 05:25:08 UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 21/01/2016 03:18, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 22:27:51 UTC, Tim wrote:

Links please to this mythical £45 drain heat exchanger and instructions on
how to retrofit it to the OP's drainage system.

We had a thread on this not long ago, but I'm not finding it. It covered these questions & rather more.

I didn't see that thread. It does sound mythical to me.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/Rq9SqpMblcE[1-25]

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 22:27:51 UTC, Tim wrote:

4 years isn't very impressive. I'm tempted to say spend the £45 on a
drain heat exchanger and your reduced power triton should be fine. And
you'll save money and get longer HW delivery.

Links please to this mythical £45 drain heat exchanger and instructions on
how to retrofit it to the OP's drainage system.

We had a thread on this not long ago, but I'm not finding it. It covered
these questions & rather more.

NT

So it's your fantasy one again?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Links please to this mythical £45 drain heat exchanger and instructions on
how to retrofit it to the OP's drainage system.

http://www.heatraesadia.com/megaflo_shru/

Except blush the £45 turned out to be the price for a prominent advert
for something unrelated on the page.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Links please to this mythical £45 drain heat exchanger and instructions on
how to retrofit it to the OP's drainage system.

http://www.heatraesadia.com/megaflo_shru/

Except blush the £45 turned out to be the price for a prominent advert
for something unrelated on the page.

I suspect this info is nearer the mark.

http://www.thegreenage.co.uk/tech/wa...overy-systems/

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Links please to this mythical £45 drain heat exchanger and instructions on
how to retrofit it to the OP's drainage system.

http://www.heatraesadia.com/megaflo_shru/

Except blush the £45 turned out to be the price for a prominent advert
for something unrelated on the page.

I suspect this info is nearer the mark.

http://www.thegreenage.co.uk/tech/wa...overy-systems/

Tim

For those averse to clicking links...

Is it worth retrofitting a WWHRS?
In some cases retrofitting may be possible, but the bulk and length of the
recovery device means that most showers or baths wouldnt be suitable. It
is much easier to get it installed when you are fitting a new bathroom.

How much do they cost?
They typically start at around £600 + installation. So you are looking at
over a £1,000 to get a unit in your home.

Are they worth it?
Many installers cite WWHRSs as a means to get a new home up to the
Sustainable Homes code, rather than a means to save money, although you
certainly will save some cash by using one, the payback period is not
worthwhile.

A typical saving on an average home might be £20-30 a year. So the payback
time is around 40 years typically. Of course, if you use a lot of hot
water, it can begin to look a bit more attractive.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2016 12:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Links please to this mythical £45 drain heat exchanger and
instructions on
how to retrofit it to the OP's drainage system.

http://www.heatraesadia.com/megaflo_shru/

Except blush the £45 turned out to be the price for a prominent advert
for something unrelated on the page.

The similar Reco-vert costs £470...

http://shower-save.com/products/recoh-vert.html

Too much to pay, but a good idea otherwise. I'm not convinced it would
work well with a normal 'open loop' electric shower where you control
the temperature by manually adjusting the flow rate, as I think
temperature fluctuations as it warms up and as you take a **** would
mean constant fiddling with your knob.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Links please to this mythical £45 drain heat exchanger and
instructions on
how to retrofit it to the OP's drainage system.

http://www.heatraesadia.com/megaflo_shru/

Except blush the £45 turned out to be the price for a prominent advert
for something unrelated on the page.

The similar Reco-vert costs £470...

http://shower-save.com/products/recoh-vert.html

Too much to pay, but a good idea otherwise. I'm not convinced it would
work well with a normal 'open loop' electric shower where you control
the temperature by manually adjusting the flow rate, as I think
temperature fluctuations as it warms up and as you take a **** would
mean constant fiddling with your knob.

OK, how about using the shower water afterwards to wash clothes ..

"Wa****"

https://www.behance.net/gallery/Wa****/4614751

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Syd Rumpo
writes
Tim+ wrote:

Links please to this mythical £45 drain heat exchanger and
instructions on
how to retrofit it to the OP's drainage system.

http://www.heatraesadia.com/megaflo_shru/

Except blush the £45 turned out to be the price for a prominent advert
for something unrelated on the page.

The similar Reco-vert costs £470...

http://shower-save.com/products/recoh-vert.html

Too much to pay, but a good idea otherwise. I'm not convinced it would
work well with a normal 'open loop' electric shower where you control
the temperature by manually adjusting the flow rate, as I think
temperature fluctuations as it warms up and as you take a **** would
mean constant fiddling with your knob.

From what I recall of the discussion.... the commercial version is
intended to fit vertically. Horizontal, home brew tucked under a bath
might overcome problems with an inadequately powered electric shower...
which was where the thread started.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 January 2016 12:30:58 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Links please to this mythical £45 drain heat exchanger and instructions on
how to retrofit it to the OP's drainage system.

http://www.heatraesadia.com/megaflo_shru/

Except blush the £45 turned out to be the price for a prominent advert
for something unrelated on the page.

There are no ads on that page, and no price for the 'shru' either. But hey

And the product is just as mythical now as it was then. I mean, it must be
because otherwise you would have provided a link to this £45 unit surely?

I gave you a link to the thread that covered it. You can do the rest yourself if you wish to.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.heatraesadia.com/megaflo_shru/

Except blush the £45 turned out to be the price for a prominent advert
for something unrelated on the page.

There are no ads on that page, and no price for the 'shru' either. But hey

No, but searching for "megaflo shru" leads to this page

http://www.thecodestore.co.uk/shop/details/639/506/energy-and-co2-emissions/ene1-dwelling-emission-rate/waste-water-heat-recovery-wwhr/itho-shru-60---shower-heat-recovery.html

where there *is* an advert (for EPCs from £45)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Links please to this mythical £45 drain heat exchanger and instructions on
how to retrofit it to the OP's drainage system.

http://www.heatraesadia.com/megaflo_shru/

Except blush the £45 turned out to be the price for a prominent advert
for something unrelated on the page.

There are no ads on that page, and no price for the 'shru' either. But hey

And the product is just as mythical now as it was then. I mean, it must be
because otherwise you would have provided a link to this £45 unit surely?

I gave you a link to the thread that covered it. You can do the rest
yourself if you wish to.

NT

That link is as useless in information content now as it was then.

You're the fool who pipes up with the suggestion every time but never
answers questions about costs and practicality of retrofitting.

So either you're riding your hobby horse or you want to give useful advice.
Which is it?

Do tell us where can we rush out and buy this marvellous unit for £45 if
it's the latter.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2016 21:46, John wrote:
We have a Triton T80xr 10.5kW shower that's about 4 years old maybe.
It's used twice daily and has performed brilliantly up to now but one of
the heating elements has blown so either a new heater can assembly
(about £45 delivered from Triton) is needed or the whole thing needs
replacing.

Given the use it's had and will continue to have in the future, I can't
help thinking that we've certainly done well out of it and also the
possibility of some other part failing in the not-too-distant future
makes me think we should replace the whole shower.

However, they no longer make this model so it could end up a right
nightmare trying to match pipe and cable entry points and/or tiling
etc., so that makes me inclined to just replace the faulty part.

Generally speaking if you buy the same make e.g. Triton the water &
power entry is in the same place.

The Triton T80Z is described as;

Ideal size and shape for replacement installations
Swing-fitTM left or right wiring terminal
Swivel-fitTM left or right water inlet connection
Left and right entry points top/rear/bottom/sides
Adjustable distance between shower rail fixings
Top entry trims

What to do? Is it worth repairing or should we replace?

IMO you replace one part & another goes.....

---

Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote on 20/01/2016 :
On 20/01/2016 21:46, John wrote:
[...]

I thought about the T80Z 'Fast Fit' because of the claim that it's
almost a direct replacement but in my case, it's not.

You can indeed swing the water inlet left and right and make any
necessary adjustment to the supply pipe by loosening off the nut and
turning the elbow to meet the shower inlet.

Trouble is, whoever did the plumbing in the house before we moved in
has used either a soldered elbow or just made a 90deg bend upwards as
the pipe comes out of the wall, so I need the shower inlet to be at the
bottom, not left or right, otherwise it means knocking a section of
wall/tile out to get at a workable piece of pipe.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2016 21:46, John wrote:
We have a Triton T80xr 10.5kW shower that's about 4 years old maybe.
It's used twice daily and has performed brilliantly up to now but one of
the heating elements has blown so either a new heater can assembly
(about £45 delivered from Triton) is needed or the whole thing needs
replacing.

Given the use it's had and will continue to have in the future, I can't
help thinking that we've certainly done well out of it and also the
possibility of some other part failing in the not-too-distant future
makes me think we should replace the whole shower.

However, they no longer make this model so it could end up a right
nightmare trying to match pipe and cable entry points and/or tiling
etc., so that makes me inclined to just replace the faulty part.

What to do? Is it worth repairing or should we replace?

I've swapped the kettles in our Triton shower a couple of times. On mine
it was fairly straightforward. When we had the wall replaced we got a
new one. The old one was 15 years old or so.

So I'd do it while the rest of the shower is still working. 4 years is a
baby.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John pretended :
We have a Triton T80xr 10.5kW shower that's about 4 years old maybe. It's
used twice daily and has performed brilliantly up to now but one of the
heating elements has blown so either a new heater can assembly (about £45
delivered from Triton) is needed or the whole thing needs replacing.

Given the use it's had and will continue to have in the future, I can't help
thinking that we've certainly done well out of it and also the possibility of
some other part failing in the not-too-distant future makes me think we
should replace the whole shower.

However, they no longer make this model so it could end up a right nightmare
trying to match pipe and cable entry points and/or tiling etc., so that makes
me inclined to just replace the faulty part.

What to do? Is it worth repairing or should we replace?

---

Thanks for your replies folks, much appreciated :-)

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2016 22:41, John wrote:
John pretended :
[...]

The shower doctor will give you advice about whether or not a direct
pipe for pip replacement is in production at the moment

http://www.showerdoc.com/

--
Chris B News
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2016 21:46, John wrote:
We have a Triton T80xr 10.5kW shower that's about 4 years old maybe.
It's used twice daily and has performed brilliantly up to now but one of
the heating elements has blown so either a new heater can assembly
(about £45 delivered from Triton) is needed or the whole thing needs
replacing.

Given the use it's had and will continue to have in the future, I can't
help thinking that we've certainly done well out of it and also the
possibility of some other part failing in the not-too-distant future
makes me think we should replace the whole shower.

However, they no longer make this model so it could end up a right
nightmare trying to match pipe and cable entry points and/or tiling
etc., so that makes me inclined to just replace the faulty part.

What to do? Is it worth repairing or should we replace?

You might find the same model on eBay. Just a thought.

4 years for a shower is not very old!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2016 03:53, Fredxxx wrote:
On 20/01/2016 21:46, John wrote:
[...]

Indeed. Two cheapo Gainsboroughs have lasted me 30+ years, and the
second one was only replaced because the latest model was on special at
B&Q. As I recall the inlet could be swivelled to accommodate side or
bottom entry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
You might find the same model on eBay. Just a thought.

4 years for a shower is not very old!

Is this a hard or soft water area?

Around here they tend to die by becoming so full of scale they emit just a
trickle. At which point it might not be just the element to replace, but
also to de-clag the innards. I'm not sure how complex that is for your
model, but something to consider when evaluating lifetimes: I imagine the
shower that worked for 30 years was in a soft water area.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2016 21:46, John wrote:
[...]

I'd say it was about right.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2016 21:46, John wrote:
[...]

Would you not get a bit wrinkly after 4 years? I'm usually in and out in 5
minutes. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2016 21:46, John wrote:
[...]

Based on previous experience I expect at least 20 years out of my new
Gainsborough (£35) :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes

Based on previous experience I expect at least 20 years out of my new
Gainsborough (£35) :-)

My wife's tenants were getting about 6 months out of an Aqualisa Quartz.
Very hard water area and family of shower fetishists!

If anyone wants a couple of *shower engines* for de-coking trials, they
are taking up space in my garage.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/16 21:46, John wrote:
We have a Triton T80xr 10.5kW shower that's about 4 years old maybe.
It's used twice daily and has performed brilliantly up to now but one of
the heating elements has blown so either a new heater can assembly
(about £45 delivered from Triton) is needed or the whole thing needs
replacing.

Hmmm... maybe while they sell it I should buy another of the one I
currently have fitted and store it....

--
Adrian C