Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting custom made bathroom units

Hello All,

In my bathroom refurbishment plan I am looking for a vanity unity and concealed-cistern WC unit, with a counter-top going over the lot. Although there are plenty of commercial suites available, my space is confined and I have to fit around a length of soil pipe in the room. So I am contemplating having units made to measure.

One concern I have is the paint finish. Assuming the units will be made MDF, albeit water-resistant type, I imagine the paint finish is important, from a water penetration viewpoint and also aesthetics. What sort of paint/paint systems are recommended for this situation? What do commercial manufacturers use - some sort of laquer coating? I would like the finish to look as professional as possible.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 20/01/2016 09:06, wrote:
Hello All,

In my bathroom refurbishment plan I am looking for a vanity unity and
concealed-cistern WC unit, with a counter-top going over the lot.
Although there are plenty of commercial suites available, my space is
confined and I have to fit around a length of soil pipe in the room.
So I am contemplating having units made to measure.

One concern I have is the paint finish. Assuming the units will be
made MDF, albeit water-resistant type, I imagine the paint finish is
important, from a water penetration viewpoint and also aesthetics.
What sort of paint/paint systems are recommended for this situation?
What do commercial manufacturers use - some sort of laquer coating? I
would like the finish to look as professional as possible.

Would be grateful for any advice.

We had a similar problem - a requirement for a vanity unit with a
back-to-wall WC with dimensions unlike any commercial units.

We wanted high gloss white doors/panels, and a black roll top narrow
worktop. The worktop was no problem, if expensive for what it was. Our
solution to the white doors and panels was to use a manufacturer of
replacement kitchen doors, with a gloss white "skin". There are several of
these to be found by googling, and some will (for an additional cost) make
doors to any size required. So, design and measure (very carefully!) and
order doors and panels in whatever finish you like. Make (or have made) a
cupboard frame in appropriate materials (melamine white chip for us) and
hang doors with normal kitchen hinges, or screw on non movable panels, as
needed.

Not a particularly cheap option, but no worse in cost than many of the
commercial vanity units, and you get exactly what you want.

Charles F

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2016 09:06, wrote:
[...]

In our old house I made bathroom cupboard doors from MDF and
painted them with Satinwood and that worked well. Obviously the
final finish depends on how well you do the painting.

I recently redid the bathroom in the current house and as Charles
suggests I had some custom MDF doors made for an alcove cupboard
and a small cupboard to look similar to existing panelled
doors.

I used Doors2size, because they are local to me, but they do
mail-order. They do vinyl wrapping in various colours, though I
just painted ours.

http://www.doors2size.co.uk/
Chris French

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Custom made knife block Del Cecchi Woodworking 0 February 26th 07 06:55 PM
Custom Made Doors JoRoCo UK diy 3 January 16th 07 05:01 AM
custom made bar pins ellegante Metalworking 9 May 28th 06 02:44 PM
Anyone know of custom made router bits... my Woodworking 6 February 24th 06 09:20 PM
Custom made table saw Marton Czebe Woodworking 13 October 30th 04 12:24 AM