Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Connecting extension strip to UPS power output

I've just bought an APC BX700UI UPS and I want to connect not only the
PC but also the DSL modem and the D-Link switch to the UPS. The modem
and the switch each have a low-voltage trafo and both trafos are
currently plugged into an extension strip which in turn is plugged
into a wall socket.

Can I modify a spare extension strip to take one of these C14 3 pin
Male Plugs instead of a standard 3-pin plug?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SY450_.jpg

Is that permissible according to the electricity regs?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2016 21:45, MM wrote:
I've just bought an APC BX700UI UPS and I want to connect not only the
PC but also the DSL modem and the D-Link switch to the UPS. The modem
and the switch each have a low-voltage trafo and both trafos are
currently plugged into an extension strip which in turn is plugged
into a wall socket.

Can I modify a spare extension strip to take one of these C14 3 pin
Male Plugs instead of a standard 3-pin plug?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SY450_.jpg

Is that permissible according to the electricity regs?

MM

You can buy them.
I made my own to do just that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 21:45:10 +0000, MM wrote:

I've just bought an APC BX700UI UPS and I want to connect not only the
PC but also the DSL modem and the D-Link switch to the UPS. The modem
and the switch each have a low-voltage trafo and both trafos are
currently plugged into an extension strip which in turn is plugged
into a wall socket.

Can I modify a spare extension strip to take one of these C14 3 pin
Male Plugs instead of a standard 3-pin plug?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SY450_.jpg

Is that permissible according to the electricity regs?

MM

I have done that here. I used a spare cable with a molded-on female on
one end, and a male on the other, and cut off the latter then
connected that end directly to the power strip. I had to use a power
strip with screws that can be undone, some cannot be opened without
destroying them.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 22:52:55 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

[...]

I did similar but the other way round, as per the OP's idea.

I took a cheap (as there was no real load) 4 way power strip, removed
the 13A plug and soldered a male plug on instead (the screw terminals
were cr*p). As you say, that removed the issue of trying to open the
power strip, was cheaper than buying a m/f IEC extension lead to cut
up and gave me a spare 13A plug. ;-)

Not sure if it does conform to the regs though?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Actually, I've just found several on Amazon.co.uk, extension
strips with the correct plug, that is.
Search for: IEC C14 to 4 Way Gang UK Mains Extension Sockets Lead
The Kenable one is actually sold as a "UPS Power Splitter". Costs
£7.76 with free delivery. Lot less hassle for me to just order one of
those instead of sacrificing one of my existing strips.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gang-Mains-Extension-Sockets-Cable-White/dp/B005KCGUZC

Lot less hassle for me to just order one of
those instead of sacrificing one of my existing strips.

Quite, and, should something untoward happen in the future (I can't
think what mind) at least you can say hand_on_heart that you bought it
like that and for that purpose. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I have one of those on each of my three UPS units. I bought a 1m cable
with the C13 connector moulded on one end and nothing on the other. I
also bought a socket strip without a cable (and thus, by definition,
rewirable). 5 minutes work and job done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bob Eager
escribió:

I have one of those on each of my three UPS units. I bought a 1m cable
with the C13 connector moulded on one end and nothing on the other. I
also bought a socket strip without a cable (and thus, by definition,
rewirable). 5 minutes work and job done.

I did the same. You have to be wary though, not to plug in CRT displays
or laser printers. Changing the plugs for, say, red ones might be an
idea. You go to plug something in and wonder why the plugs already
there are red. It's a reminder.

Or maybe something like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Red-P...xtra-Extended-
Universal-Electric-Outlet-Socket-Adapter-10ft-Extension-Cord-Power-
Cube/32455426015.html

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 12:03:23 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I did the same.

AOL been in use for 10 years.

You have to be wary though, not to plug in CRT displays or laser
printers.

My offline APC UPS was happy with a CRT monitor provided it wasn't on
battery when you switched it on.

Changing the plugs for, say, red ones might be an idea.

Or using those 13 A sockets that have verical L and N pins or
horizontal earth. Though the OP wants to plug in wall warts so that
isn't an option.

At some point I'm planning to rationalise the plethora of wall warts
under this desk to a single stand alone PSU. I've yet to do a survey
of the voltages required though...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo o.uk,
Dave Liquorice escribió:

My offline APC UPS was happy with a CRT monitor provided it wasn't on
battery when you switched it on.

It's not a good idea. When you switch the monitor on, the degaussing
coil pulls a lot of current for a short time. That's the "boing!" you
hear some CRT monitors make when you power them on. It's not good for
the UPS, unless it's an online one.

At some point I'm planning to rationalise the plethora of wall warts
under this desk to a single stand alone PSU. I've yet to do a survey
of the voltages required though...

I've started using USB-to-coax-jack cables to replace the wall warts for
those devices that need 5v at less than 1A. The PC's PSU is there, also
under the desk, why not use it? Watch the polarity though, almost,
*almost* all devices have centre positive. Sod's law says the one that
doesn't and lets out the magic smoke will be the most expensive one...

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 17:11:59 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 12:03:23 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I did the same.

AOL been in use for 10 years.

You have to be wary though, not to plug in CRT displays or laser
printers.

It rather depends on the rating of the UPS. Whilst it's a no-brainer to
avoid hooking up a laser printer with a 4 or 5 hundred watt drum heating
element to a UPS, it's the 20A peak degaussing surge on switch on on a
colour monitor that trips out your typical 400 to 1200 VA line
interactive UPS.

A monochrome CRT monitor doesn't present such a problem which is why I
still have a small 14 inch monochrome VGA monitor hooked up to my NAS4Free
box under the sub-shelf I added to a tiny office desk alongside of my
real office desk to house the GateWay 2000 cased NAS. Its main job has
been running duty as a "Dust Collector" for the past 8 years or so - I
very rarely find myself having to get on my hands and knees to use the
NAS's physical console.

My offline APC UPS was happy with a CRT monitor provided it wasn't on
battery when you switched it on.

My ancient APC SmartUPS2000 surprised me by being able to cope with the
degaussing surge of a 17 inch CRT monitor when running on battery power.
Thankfully, from the PoV of a UPS backed mains supply, I no longer use
CRT monitors so I can be a lot more cavalier about turning the LCD based
monitors on and off during a mains outage without getting that feeling of
"Playing Russian Roulette" by switching back on to 'Take a quick peek at
how close to completion a process has gotten'. :-)

Changing the plugs for, say, red ones might be an idea.

Or using those 13 A sockets that have verical L and N pins or horizontal
earth. Though the OP wants to plug in wall warts so that isn't an
option.

At some point I'm planning to rationalise the plethora of wall warts
under this desk to a single stand alone PSU. I've yet to do a survey of
the voltages required though...

You might find, after some testing with a multi-voltage DC PSU and
measurement of the DC current taken over the range from 5 to 9 volts (or
whatever the claimed voltage requirement is) that all bar the really
ancient peripherals (anything older than around 15 years which relies on
a metal case to act as a heatsink for an analogue voltage regulator) that
you can indeed get away with a single 7.5 to 12 volt smpsu wallwart of
suitable amperage (even those that were supplied with a really cheap AC
output wallwart - apart from decades old dial up modems which relied on
the AC input to generate a negative rail as well as the standard 5v
positive rail, modernish peripherals designed to be powered off their
cheap AC only output wallwarts would cheerfully work from a 7.5vdc output
wallwart with equal ease since they simply had the additional rectifier
bridge and a smoothing cap on the input circuitry to obviate the need for
them in the wallwart which could then be "All Transformer".

The key thing when testing for the presence of switching regulator
technology in the peripheral's PSU conditioning circuit is a negative
current/voltage slope. A 6 watt 5 port Gbit switch might draw 600mA from
its specified 10 or 12 volt wallwart but then draw 1200mA from a 6 volt
wallwart (assuming the 6v wallwart can supply 1200mA or more). The upper
limit on DC input voltage is usually set by the voltage rating of the
input filtering capacitor, typically 16 or 25 volt. I's probably best to
assume a maximum input voltage of 15 volt on such peripherals (the higher
the voltage, the less the current demand but it's not worth risking much
more than a 12 volt maximum for such a common rail supply).

HTH & HAND :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 12:03:23 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Bob Eager
escribió:

I have one of those on each of my three UPS units. I bought a 1m cable
with the C13 connector moulded on one end and nothing on the other. I
also bought a socket strip without a cable (and thus, by definition,
rewirable). 5 minutes work and job done.

I did the same. You have to be wary though, not to plug in CRT displays
or laser printers. Changing the plugs for, say, red ones might be an
idea. You go to plug something in and wonder why the plugs already
there are red. It's a reminder.

That's a good idea, although I've never made that error. No CRT displays
and only two permanent laser printers! (or any other high wattage stuff)

One laser printer (the newer one) is on the 'raw' supply on a particular
ring circuit. Interestingly, when I turn it on, the UPS on that circuit
makes noises - I think it's compensating for the voltage drop. At the
moment, all that's on that circuit is the UPS (about half loaded) and the
printer...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 14 Jan 2016 11:09:33 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

Didn't you mean C14 connector? That's the kind that plugs into the
UPS. C13 is what plugs into the PC or monitor.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 13:37:50 +0000, MM wrote:

[...]

You're right. I do. I always get them mixed up, especially when 95% of
the time I *am* dealing with a C14!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 14 Jan 2016 21:42:35 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

No probs. For everyone's edification I am now sorted. I bought a C14
to C13 cable from a local electric accessories shop for £4.50, cut off
the C13 end and wired the cable into a 2-gang extension I bought from
Boyes for £2.50.

I also took the opportunity to mount the D-Link switch and the
Thompson modem on a board on the bedroom wall, instead of precariously
blancing them on the back of my piano for six years. I knew I'd get
round to it one day! All cables connected back up, TP-Link working
away. Excellent! Reminds me of the old joke "Last week I couldn't
spell 'engineer', now I are one." That's me with C14/C13. You learn
something new every day.

Thanks for all the tips.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

[...]

It's good that you mentioned this, as I have just checked all my power
extension strips and they're all sealed units!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2016 21:45, MM wrote:
I've just bought an APC BX700UI UPS and I want to connect not only the
PC but also the DSL modem and the D-Link switch to the UPS. The modem
and the switch each have a low-voltage trafo and both trafos are
currently plugged into an extension strip which in turn is plugged
into a wall socket.

Can I modify a spare extension strip to take one of these C14 3 pin
Male Plugs instead of a standard 3-pin plug?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SY450_.jpg

Is that permissible according to the electricity regs?

Yup, done it many times. Label the extension lead "computer use only" or
similar... (it won't stop someone trying to run a fan heater off the
UPS, but it does at least mean you can tease them later ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 23:56:27 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 13/01/2016 21:45, MM wrote:
I've just bought an APC BX700UI UPS and I want to connect not only the
PC but also the DSL modem and the D-Link switch to the UPS. The modem
and the switch each have a low-voltage trafo and both trafos are
currently plugged into an extension strip which in turn is plugged
into a wall socket.

Can I modify a spare extension strip to take one of these C14 3 pin
Male Plugs instead of a standard 3-pin plug?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SY450_.jpg

Is that permissible according to the electricity regs?

Yup, done it many times. Label the extension lead "computer use only" or
similar... (it won't stop someone trying to run a fan heater off the
UPS, but it does at least mean you can tease them later ;-)

"Computer use only, excluding the laser printer" in the case of our
consumer grade UPSs.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 13/01/2016 21:45, MM wrote:
I've just bought an APC BX700UI UPS and I want to connect not only the
PC but also the DSL modem and the D-Link switch to the UPS. The modem
and the switch each have a low-voltage trafo and both trafos are
currently plugged into an extension strip which in turn is plugged
into a wall socket.

Can I modify a spare extension strip to take one of these C14 3 pin
Male Plugs instead of a standard 3-pin plug?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SY450_.jpg

Is that permissible according to the electricity regs?

Yup, done it many times. Label the extension lead "computer use only" or
similar... (it won't stop someone trying to run a fan heater off the
UPS, but it does at least mean you can tease them later ;-)

"Computer use only, excluding the laser printer" in the case of our
consumer grade UPSs.

Indeed, many such UPSes had unprotected sockets specifically for such
non-critical loads to help simplify the rat's nest of cabling you might
otherwise have to create from mains extension sockets.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 00:57:04 GMT, Johnny B Good
wrote:

snip

Indeed, many such UPSes had unprotected sockets specifically for such
non-critical loads to help simplify the rat's nest of cabling you might
otherwise have to create from mains extension sockets.

I rigged up a UPS on a PC for my mates in the local motorcycle shop,
all tested and working ok.

Months later I noticed the PC had been moved and later still, when
setting up a new PC for them I though I'd better check that the UPS
was signaling to Apcupsd correctly put switching the power at the wall
socket. The PC went straight off and after a quick check found the IEC
plug and 4 way strip I'd made up for them had been plugged back into
just the surge (not battery) protected outlet (and whilst only a 1 in
4 chance of doing so randomly, the surge protected outlet was at the
bottom).

I wonder how many other instances there are of things (PC's
particularly) accidentally being plugged into the non battery
protected ports out there today?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM writes:
I've just bought an APC BX700UI UPS and I want to connect not only the
PC but also the DSL modem and the D-Link switch to the UPS. The modem
and the switch each have a low-voltage trafo and both trafos are
currently plugged into an extension strip which in turn is plugged
into a wall socket.

I steal 12V from a spare disk drive connector to power my switch,
and WiFi access point (and several other things), which is OK if
your PC is always-on (or at least on when you need to use other
things connected to the switch).

There are some valid arguments to keep an isolated supply for
anything which interfaces your phone line such as an ADSL modem.

Can I modify a spare extension strip to take one of these C14 3 pin
Male Plugs instead of a standard 3-pin plug?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SY450_.jpg

Is that permissible according to the electricity regs?

For UPS's, there are a couple of important additional points.

Make sure earth bonding is maintained if the mains supply to
the UPS is unplugged, i.e. you want an additional connection
from the UPS earth to the house earth so they can't drift apart
if the UPS itself is unplugged and kicks into life. UPS will
normally have a terminal post for this purpose.

Ideally, you shouldn't rely on your electricity supplier's earth
terminal to be a valid earth during a power outage (it might have
been cut through), so you should have your own earth rod too if you
are creating your own electricty (UPS or inverter or generator).
(This is less critical then the first point, unless you are
exporting the generated electricity outdoors.)

--
Andrew Gabriel