Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Greenish tinge on block paving

Nothing too bad but the top of my drive is getting a bit greenish although
the blocks don't look mossy. Any suggestions for a way of getting rid of
the grees which I suppose is the beginnings of a moss growth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Nothing too bad but the top of my drive is getting a bit greenish although
the blocks don't look mossy. Any suggestions for a way of getting rid of
the grees which I suppose is the beginnings of a moss growth.

Chlorine granules as used for hot tubs (about 1000x the mixture you should
put in a hot tub) will work - don't ask me how I know this.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2016 12:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
Nothing too bad but the top of my drive is getting a bit greenish although
the blocks don't look mossy. Any suggestions for a way of getting rid of
the grees which I suppose is the beginnings of a moss growth.

More likely algae than moss IMHO. I'd go for diluted bleach, scrubbed in
with a yard brush, then rinsed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 12:39:28 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Nothing too bad but the top of my drive is getting a bit greenish although
the blocks don't look mossy. Any suggestions for a way of getting rid of
the grees which I suppose is the beginnings of a moss growth.

The best stuff I've found is Armillatox. It used to be sold as
something like moss and algae killer, but due to some EU regulation
it's now sold as "soap based cleaner" or something similar. I think
it's coal tar based.

I've also used iron (II) sulphate to kill moss, but that will stain
concrete orange.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 January 2016 12:39:32 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Nothing too bad but the top of my drive is getting a bit greenish although
the blocks don't look mossy. Any suggestions for a way of getting rid of
the grees which I suppose is the beginnings of a moss growth.

There's no permanent solution.
Even the temporary ones are very temporary.
I just pressure jet my driveway every spring.
Clears the weeds away for a while too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes

There's no permanent solution.

Agreed. Our neighbour has horse chestnut (conker) trees along the wall
between our properties, with my drive running below the canopy. I've
tried pressure washing, bleach, Jeyes, Dettol and others, all of which
work to an extent, but only offer a temporary solution.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

..

I really don't want to get into the routine of pressure washing. I am
convinced it makes the blocks more susceptable to further problems due to
it washing off some of the surgace agregate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/16 13:14, DerbyBorn wrote:
.

I really don't want to get into the routine of pressure washing. I am
convinced it makes the blocks more susceptable to further problems due to
it washing off some of the surgace agregate.

well, thats your choice, but it works as does acid and bleach. Both kill
some sorts of algae/lichens

"Saki"

Oil on block paving Trevor Smith[_2_] UK diy 5 August 9th 13 10:08 PM
Block paving Roberts UK diy 3 December 7th 11 07:26 AM
block paving... Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 13 June 16th 10 10:37 PM
Block Paving [email protected] UK diy 3 June 20th 07 07:57 PM
Block paving I'm not crofter either UK diy 5 August 19th 05 03:08 PM