Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recycled plastic boarding

As a good husband (!), I am always willing to help my wife in her interests!! Her latest one she has spotted is a bird feeder made with recycled plastic boards. Maybe it will last longer but at near enough £30 retail I can see why I might be dragged in to making one.

I am fortunate in having a builder's shed nearby and he is quite happy for me to raid his skip. I collected some bits of floor laminate the other day - I've used it before for odds and ends - and wondered if that is tolerant of being outdoors?

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2016 10:56, Rob Graham wrote:
As a good husband (!), I am always willing to help my wife in her interests!! Her latest one she has spotted is a bird feeder made with recycled plastic boards. Maybe it will last longer but at near enough £30 retail I can see why I might be dragged in to making one.

I am fortunate in having a builder's shed nearby and he is quite happy for me to raid his skip. I collected some bits of floor laminate the other day - I've used it before for odds and ends - and wondered if that is tolerant of being outdoors?

Rob

No. :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I'd not be so sure. I've seen it used inside the front end of
greenhouses at garden centres, though it does make one feel one should be
wearing tap shoes.
Of course frost wise is another thing.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"David Lang" wrote in message
On 10/01/2016 10:56, Rob Graham wrote:
As a good husband (!), I am always willing to help my wife in her
interests!! Her latest one she has spotted is a bird feeder made with
recycled plastic boards. Maybe it will last longer but at near enough
£30 retail I can see why I might be dragged in to making one.

I am fortunate in having a builder's shed nearby and he is quite happy
for me to raid his skip. I collected some bits of floor laminate the
other day - I've used it before for odds and ends - and wondered if that
is tolerant of being outdoors?

Rob

No. :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some of it is, but how would one figure out which?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Rob Graham" wrote in message
As a good husband (!), I am always willing to help my wife in her
interests!! Her latest one she has spotted is a bird feeder made with
recycled plastic boards. Maybe it will last longer but at near enough £30
retail I can see why I might be dragged in to making one.

I am fortunate in having a builder's shed nearby and he is quite happy for
me to raid his skip. I collected some bits of floor laminate the other
day - I've used it before for odds and ends - and wondered if that is
tolerant of being outdoors?

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff brought next idea :
Some of it is, but how would one figure out which?

Brian

By making a bird table out of it of course lol

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Graham presented the following explanation :
As a good husband (!), I am always willing to help my wife in her interests!!
Her latest one she has spotted is a bird feeder made with recycled plastic
boards. Maybe it will last longer but at near enough £30 retail I can see
why I might be dragged in to making one.

I am fortunate in having a builder's shed nearby and he is quite happy for me
to raid his skip. I collected some bits of floor laminate the other day -
I've used it before for odds and ends - and wondered if that is tolerant of
being outdoors?

Rob

Some grades are more tolerant of water than others, but generally the
answer is no.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 January 2016 10:56:37 UTC, Rob Graham wrote:
As a good husband (!), I am always willing to help my wife in her interests!!
Her latest one she has spotted is a bird feeder made with recycled plastic
boards.

What you need is a signmaker's skip. Offcuts of correx and foamex boards.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 January 2016 10:56:37 UTC, Rob Graham wrote:
As a good husband (!), I am always willing to help my wife in her interests!! Her latest one she has spotted is a bird feeder made with recycled plastic boards. Maybe it will last longer but at near enough £30 retail I can see why I might be dragged in to making one.

I am fortunate in having a builder's shed nearby and he is quite happy for me to raid his skip. I collected some bits of floor laminate the other day - I've used it before for odds and ends - and wondered if that is tolerant of being outdoors?

Rob

No, cheap thin laminate is basically pressed wood waste.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2016 10:56, Rob Graham wrote:
As a good husband (!), I am always willing to help my wife in her
interests!! Her latest one she has spotted is a bird feeder made
with recycled plastic boards. Maybe it will last longer but at near
enough £30 retail I can see why I might be dragged in to making one.

I am fortunate in having a builder's shed nearby and he is quite
happy for me to raid his skip. I collected some bits of floor
laminate the other day - I've used it before for odds and ends - and
wondered if that is tolerant of being outdoors?

The backing is often MDF - but usually moisture resistant. It may swell
a little outside, but it will hold up better than you might expect
judging by the bit I left outside in the rain for a couple of years!

--
Cheers,

John.