Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recycled plastic wood-substitute

I'm told that the wooden walkways in Wicken Fen have been
replaced with ones made of recycled plastic (wood sitting in
a fen nature reserve doesn't last terribly well; I think the
plastic will take a lot longer to rot). It's black, it's
plastic and comes in similar sizes to planking and studding,
but I don't know much else about it, and I'd like to get
hold of some to experiment with.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be/where to get it?

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JónFairbairn" wrote in message

Does anyone have any idea what it might be/where to get it?

I have seen stuff that is essentially a composite made out of more than one
type of recycled plastic extruded together to make "timber".
I don't know what its called or who is making it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jón Fairbairn
writes
I'm told that the wooden walkways in Wicken Fen have been
replaced with ones made of recycled plastic (wood sitting in
a fen nature reserve doesn't last terribly well; I think the
plastic will take a lot longer to rot). It's black, it's
plastic and comes in similar sizes to planking and studding,
but I don't know much else about it, and I'd like to get
hold of some to experiment with.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be/where to get it?

Marmax it seems:

http://www.marmaxproducts.co.uk/case-study.asp?CaseStudyID=4

Though I could quickly see that they seell boards etc by themselves.

But there are other supppliers e.g. :

http://www.britishrecycledproducts.c...lastic_Product
s:Recycled_plastic_lumber
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"JónFairbairn" wrote in message

Does anyone have any idea what it might be/where to get it?

I have seen stuff that is essentially a composite made out of more than
one type of recycled plastic extruded together to make "timber".
I don't know what its called or who is making it.

Maybe http://www.kedel.co.uk/recycled-mixe...ic-lumber.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , chris French
writes
In message , Jón Fairbairn
writes
I'm told that the wooden walkways in Wicken Fen have been
replaced with ones made of recycled plastic (wood sitting in
a fen nature reserve doesn't last terribly well; I think the
plastic will take a lot longer to rot). It's black, it's
plastic and comes in similar sizes to planking and studding,
but I don't know much else about it, and I'd like to get
hold of some to experiment with.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be/where to get it?

Marmax it seems:

http://www.marmaxproducts.co.uk/case-study.asp?CaseStudyID=4

Though I could quickly see that they seell boards etc by themselves.

Sign, *couldn't*.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2010 14:46, Jón Fairbairn wrote:
I'm told that the wooden walkways in Wicken Fen have been
replaced with ones made of recycled plastic (wood sitting in
a fen nature reserve doesn't last terribly well; I think the
plastic will take a lot longer to rot). It's black, it's
plastic and comes in similar sizes to planking and studding,
but I don't know much else about it, and I'd like to get
hold of some to experiment with.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be/where to get it?

Also used near Grange at the south end of Derwen****er for a walkway.
The National Trust were responsible for the walk - so ringing up the
local office might produce the supplier's name.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jón Fairbairn wrote:
I'm told that the wooden walkways in Wicken Fen have been
replaced with ones made of recycled plastic (wood sitting in
a fen nature reserve doesn't last terribly well; I think the
plastic will take a lot longer to rot). It's black, it's
plastic and comes in similar sizes to planking and studding,
but I don't know much else about it, and I'd like to get
hold of some to experiment with.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be/where to get it?

Might be similar to the composite decking on the market.
http://www.qualitydecking.co.uk/timber_decking.php (last 2)

My local DIY shop sells their stuff so it should be easy to get hold of.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:

Sign, *couldn't*.

Sigh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robert wrote:

Also used near Grange at the south end of Derwen****er for a walkway.
The National Trust were responsible for the walk - so ringing up the
local office might produce the supplier's name.

Looking at the website referenced by Chris it seems incredibly heavy
stuff compared to wood. I also wonder about UV stability. If I can get
around to it I'll call them to ask, it may be useful for me since I want
to make some walkways in Italy in particular leading down into the woods
at the extremity of my land which have large boggy areas between trees.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jón Fairbairn wrote:

Does anyone have any idea what it might be/where to get it?

We've used this

http://www.filcris.co.uk/

to give access to a piece of open space and it seems successful, it is less
slippery than wet wood and no need to staple chicken wire to it, Life is
expected to be over 25 years.

The volunteers are constructing a fresh piece alongside a canal and this has
been obtained from a cheaper manufacturer whose name isn't to hand.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-11-14, chris French wrote:
In message , I wrote
I'm told that the wooden walkways in Wicken Fen have been
replaced with ones made of recycled plastic [...]
Does anyone have any idea what it might be/where to get it?

Marmax it seems:

http://www.marmaxproducts.co.uk/case-study.asp?CaseStudyID=4

Excellent! Not sure why I didn't think of a search that
would turn that up, but so it goes.

http://www.britishrecycledproducts.co.uk/?Recycled_Mixed_Plastic_Products:Recycled_plastic_ lumber

Thanks to everyone else for their responses too.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

The material you have in mind is recycled plastic lumber and its manufactured from waste plastic.
It is widealy available, check out www.plaswoodgroup.com

Best
Kath