Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 0844 numbers

In message , Davey
writes
On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 16:17:22 -0000
"Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 00:14:01 -0000, Davey
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 00:04:25 -0000
"Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 23:41:50 -0000, Davey
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 20:07:11 -0000
"Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 19:55:02 -0000, Davey
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 16:01:11 -0000
"Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 12:31:59 -0000, Davey
wrote:

I bought some clothing online, and received an e-mail
message giving me the tracking number and link for the
shipment, via DXDelivery. I clicked the link, nothing. So
I entered the Tracking number and my Postcode into their
Tracking form, and was told that one or other of them was
wrong. They were both taken from the message to me, and
the Postcode was correct. I have no way of confirming the
Tracking number.

DXDelivery offer the option to call them for enquiries, but
they only offer 0844 numbers, which they confirm will be
charged at 7p/min. Why? It's because they cannot provide
the information that I am trying to contact them, so why
should I pay more?

And the supplier wants 13p/min. if I call to enquire!

I'll probably get one of those notes pushed through the
door saying I was out, even though I was in and waiting.

Grrr. A good start to 2016!

Assuming the call is 5 minutes, it'd cost you 35p, hardly
anything to get upset about. If ANY call including freephone
takes longer than 5 minutes to get an answer, I hang up
anyway. I can't be bothered wasting my time waiting for
someone to pick up the phone.

What is upsetting is that they continue to use a money-making
'phone number when they are supposed to not make a profit from
customers trying to get information about their deliveries. If
the business handles lots of calls, that's a lot of money they
skim from their customers. That's wrong.

It's not a profit. Do you think the workers in the call centre
get paid only 7p/min = £4.20/hour?

What call centre? These are direct money-making lines direct to
the premises.

Are you or are you not talking to a person? What's the minimum
wage? Compare the two amounts.

Why? This is a business, charging for calls that should, by law,
cost no more than Basic Cost. Minimum wage has nothing to do with
it.

Why should you get your call for free? What made you so special?

I paid for the goods, and they didn't arrive when they were promised.
Now I have to chase up the supplier. And I'm not saying free, I'm
saying for the basic cost of the 'phone call.

This is going round and round, enough.

Yup.

Which is why you shouldn't waste you time replying to Mr Macaw.

He isn't interested in reality (that by law the company should have
provided a basic rate number as you say), he just wants to argue
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You buy £30 of goods then moan about a 50p phonecall. Look up the phrase "mountain and molehill".

--
A hammer is a device designed to break valuable objects next to the nail you are aiming at.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Although there's an interesting twist in this one. The law applies to
*post contract* calls. The call is to the carrier, and he doesn't have a
contract with them - the vendor does. I wonder if they reckon they can
get away with that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
Absolutely. This is something that should be taken into account when
pricing a product/service sold. The (well-overdue) new law, however,
does not allow companies to profit from receiving call from customers.

And that is the right way to look at it. As a customer wondering why my
order has not arrived on time, I should not have to pay more than a
standard call charge to find out.

It's pennies, get things into perspective.

It's pennies to each individual customer but it's thousands of pounds to the
company when you add together all the "only pennies" from the individual
customers. That's what offends most people - not that they are losing money
but that someone is gaining money.

And actually, the cost of of a normal geographic call is zero to many people
since they are on tariffs which allow unlimited geographic calls, so you
have to compare the cost that the company makes against zero rather than
against normal geographic rates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Your has an R on the end. You sound like a chav, which explains the worry about pennies.

He isn't interested in reality (that by law the company should have
provided a basic rate number as you say), he just wants to argue

I'm interested in common sense. And getting concerned about a cost of pennies when you've bought goods for pounds is just stupid.

--
Keyboard error - press any key to continue...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 17:32:43 -0000, NY wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
Absolutely. This is something that should be taken into account when
pricing a product/service sold. The (well-overdue) new law, however,
does not allow companies to profit from receiving call from customers.

And that is the right way to look at it. As a customer wondering why my
order has not arrived on time, I should not have to pay more than a
standard call charge to find out.

It's pennies, get things into perspective.

It's pennies to each individual customer but it's thousands of pounds to the
company when you add together all the "only pennies" from the individual
customers. That's what offends most people - not that they are losing money
but that someone is gaining money.

What a stupid thing to get offended about, especially as they aren't making any money at all, they're just losing less money employing thousands of people to answer the phonecalls.

And actually, the cost of of a normal geographic call is zero to many people
since they are on tariffs which allow unlimited geographic calls, so you
have to compare the cost that the company makes against zero rather than
against normal geographic rates.

It's still below the minimum wage.

If you don't want companies to charge you for calls, get OFCOM to remove chargeable calls altogether, it would be far simpler and far more effective.

--
What's the difference between a hooker and a drug dealer?
A hooker can wash her crack and sell it again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

wrote:

[...]

He tried contacting both the vendor and the carrier. I think he (Davey)
is referring to the vendor in this bit of the thread though.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 18:02:52 +0000
Chris French wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes

snip

Although there's an interesting twist in this one. The law applies to
*post contract* calls. The call is to the carrier, and he doesn't
have a contract with them - the vendor does. I wonder if they reckon
they can get away with that.

He tried contacting both the vendor and the carrier. I think he
(Davey) is referring to the vendor in this bit of the thread though.

Correct.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Because you have paid for the product or service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The carrier certainly uses an 0844 number; I had a delivery from them
today, and their tracking site mentions that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Oh my goodness me it's the end of the world.

--
How come abbreviated is such a long word?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2016 16:19, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 11:49:11 -0000, Davey wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 10:07:52 +0000
JoeJoe wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Someone has to answer those calls and has to be paid to do that.

Absolutely. This is something that should be taken into account when
pricing a product/service sold. The (well-overdue) new law, however,
does not allow companies to profit from receiving call from customers.

And that is the right way to look at it. As a customer wondering why my
order has not arrived on time, I should not have to pay more than a
standard call charge to find out.

It's pennies, get things into perspective.

Well, until very recently a vast number of companies used 0870 numbers
that were substantially more expensive than 0844/5 ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

And if they're charging the same or less than the wages paid to the call
centre employees, then they're not making a profit. You want it free?
Email them.

Again, this should be taken into account when pricing a product/service.

This is how it is done pretty much everywhere in the developed world. In
the States, for example, a much more competitive market than the UK one,
pretty much every customer service phone number is a free one. ...and
yes, they still manage to make a profit...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It's still not much if it's a 3 minute call to ask "where's my parcel?"

--
Extract from a customer complaint letter sent to The Body Shop:
I recently shampooed my pet rabbit with Body Shop shampoo. Its eyes bulged out and turned red. If you tested your stuff on animals like everyone else, this sort of thing wouldn't happen...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Why do you care where the profit is made? In fact, why should I pay extra in my product cost when I don't use the helpline and you do?

--
My younger sister was having one of her first gynecological appointments and she had some questions for the doctor.
"Doctor" she asked, "I can't ask my parents, They would kill me but my boyfriend wants to have anal sex. I don't know what to tell him, I mean I don't know anything about it. Can I get pregnant?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

because having to use the helpline is usually necessary only because the
company screwed up

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It's just as likely to screw up with me as you. But you're forgetting about two things: certain people are stupid and will need to use the helpline more. And certain people are more impatient and won't just wait an extra day or email the company.

--
If it's zero degrees outside today and it's supposed to be twice as cold tomorrow, how cold is it going to be?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , JoeJoe
writes

wrote:

[...]

And if they get it right then you wouldn't need to call them.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 22:48:46 -0000, bert wrote:

In article , JoeJoe
writes

wrote:

[...]

To err is human.

--
Interesting fact number 923:
Half the world's population has seen at least one Bond movie.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 20:07:19 -0000, tim.....
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

I currently have an issue with a company that doesn't appear to have an
email address - it isn't always the solution

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 20:22:45 -0000
"tim....." wrote:

news
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

And not everybody does e-mail.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-01-13, tim..... wrote:

[113 lines snipped]

I currently have an issue with a company that doesn't appear to have an
email address - it isn't always the solution

I currently have an issue with people who don't know how to operate
their delete keys.

I was replying to the class clown, you didn't need to read it

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Every company has an email address. If they don't, write to them.

--
Many contemplative moments spent I, squatting on a cold, sixteenth-century sandstone toilet bowl, its edges worn down by generations of shivering buttocks. -- Edward Radclyffe
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mr Macaw writes
To err is human.

Law of natural consequences applies.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 20:22:45 -0000, tim.....
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

the amount in question is 18p

but if I don't pay it, they will slap on a default penalty of 25 quid!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 20:21:53 -0000, bert wrote:

In article , Mr Macaw writes
To err is human.

Law of natural consequences applies.

To what?

--
In Today's Market Activity, Helium was up. Feathers were down. Paper was stationary. Fluorescent tubing was dimmed in light trading. Knives were up sharply. Cows steered into a bull market. Pencils lost a few points. Hiking equipment was trailing. Elevators rose, while escalators continued their slow decline. Weights were up in heavy trading. Light switches were off. Mining equipment hit rock bottom. Diapers remain unchanged. Shipping lines stayed at an even keel. The market for raisins dried up. Coca Cola fizzled. Caterpillar stock inched up a bit. Sun peaked at midday. Balloon prices were inflated. And, Scott Tissue touched a new bottom. Invest wisely!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 20:54:02 -0000, tim..... wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 20:22:45 -0000, tim.....
wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 20:07:19 -0000, tim.....

Tell them to **** off as you couldn't contact them to arrange payment.

--
Chaos will reign over order - it's easier to implement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 20:14:57 -0000
"Mr Macaw" wrote:

And not everybody does e-mail.

Oh don't be ridiculous. Even half the old fogeys are on it now.

And the other half aren't.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote:

And not everybody does e-mail.

Oh don't be ridiculous. Even half the old fogeys are on it now.

And the other half aren't.

That's a very small unimportant part of the population, who can ask a younger friend or neighbour to do it for them, or learn how.

--
I used to not get along with my mother-in-law, but over the last few
months, I've developed quite an attachment for her. It goes over her
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

the amount in question is 18p

but if I don't pay it, they will slap on a default penalty of 25 quid!

Tell them to **** off as you couldn't contact them to arrange payment.

I pay by standing order (and what a lot of effort it was to get that option
from them!)

the problem is they told me that the amount that I have to pay each period
has increased - after the date it was supposed to be (and was) paid

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

the amount in question is 18p

but if I don't pay it, they will slap on a default penalty of 25 quid!

Tell them to **** off as you couldn't contact them to arrange payment.

I pay by standing order (and what a lot of effort it was to get that option
from them!)

the problem is they told me that the amount that I have to pay each period
has increased - after the date it was supposed to be (and was) paid

Say "too late".

--
"You might show me a little more respect" complained the coed as she and her date were driving back from "Lover's Lookout".
"Yeah?" asked the smirking boy, "Like by doing what?"