Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pressure cookers - a word of warning to the wise

On 31/12/2015 14:02, Robin wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

The logic is they help indicate when you can turn the heat down... so
you keep the heat high to get the thing up to pressure, but once the
pop up valve does its thing, you know you can turn it down to a
simmer, just to maintain the pressure.

(having said that, you could just wait until the weight control valve
starts letting by to indicate the same thing)

I was commenting about the OP's "ready to serve" indicator, although I
should perhaps have said "at any pressure" rather than "at the desired
pressure".

As you have I think described in your earlier post about your own cooker
some Prestige models have *2* indicators as well as the weighted valve:

Yup, mine does.

a. the Ready to Serve indicator pops up when the cooker is under
pressure (ie *any* pressure); and then falls back when it's not -
showing that the cooker is depressurised and can be opended;

Yes, described like that in its negative sense, I can see where the
"ready to serve" naming convention comes from...

b. the Rise 'N Time indicator pops up when the correct temperature
(ie the *cooking* pressure) has been reached to tell the user to start
timing.

Indeed - and I do time from when its popped up (as well as turning the
heat down).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2015 19:31, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 31 December 2015 12:17:14 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 31/12/2015 09:09, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I replaced the safety valve (AKA "ready to serve"
indicator) in the elderly pressure cooker,

Just picking up on this comment. I've never seen a safety valve described
as a "ready to serve" indicator. In normal use, it should never pop up, or
at least it should only rise slightly and seal the valve. It only responds
to pressure, not time and if it has popped up, during normal use it isn't
functioning properly. How does it know that the contents are cooked??

At least this is my experience. I've just looked on line at them and they
are indeed called "ready to serve" indicators (but not by Prestige) which I
must admit I find puzzling.

Its a odd term certainly...

My (20+ year old prestige) has three "valves" in total[1], the safety
valve as described. A centre mounted "pop up" indicator that shows when
its up to operating pressure (this is where the weight tends to be on
the current models), and then a weight valve to one side near the handle
with two positions - one for cooking, and a second for venting.

Can't really imagine how any of those would be called a ready to serve

It's because none of them are.

Actually having now read Robin's post, the use of the term does makes
sense. i.e. when the pressure is vented back to almost atmospheric, the
safety valve will fall, acting as an indication its safe to open the
cooker.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 00:31:59 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Wednesday, 30 December 2015 17:40:45 UTC, wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I replaced the safety valve (AKA "ready to serve"
indicator) in the elderly pressure cooker, but failed to look closely at
the new part, the top of the new one is

Snip
cunningly and mischievously marked "top".
Bu&&er!

Bollix.
Pressure cookers are fitted with deadweight pressure relief valves.
Virtually impossible to go wrong. Or "fit upside down".
If there were a steam explosion in a kitchen anyone nearby would be lucky to survive.
So, an entirely fictitious story.

If that is so why does the manufacture of this part here
http://www.appliancespareswarehouse....FSrpwgodVjkCyw

Because he knows nothing about pressure cookers?
Personally saw the result of my grandmothers cooker safety valve blowout.

actually mark it with the words" Top", you can see it clearly on the
above link if you enlarge the image.

To think you have boasted on here about being in charge of some
hospital boilers yet we could not even trust you to maintain a
pressure cooker ,letting you brew tea at a Village fete would open
the organisers to prosecution under HSE rules for allowing such an
incompetent to touch the Hot Water Urn.
Paperwork Monkey I suppose ,bluffed his way into the job and was
such a PITA that those who worked with you found it easier to leave
you at your desk answering the phone and signing bits of paper rather
than have you interfering with the serious work they were skilled in.
Typical middle management.
Spent your Winter Fuel Payment yet you benefit scrounger ?
You must be old enough to qualify as senile dementia can be the only
excuse for your apparent stupidity.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 January 2016 00:35:30 UTC, DJC wrote:
On 31/12/15 09:09, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I replaced the safety valve (AKA "ready to serve"
indicator) in the elderly pressure cooker,

Just picking up on this comment. I've never seen a safety valve described
as a "ready to serve" indicator. In normal use, it should never pop up, or
at least it should only rise slightly and seal the valve. It only responds
to pressure, not time and if it has popped up, during normal use it isn't
functioning properly. How does it know that the contents are cooked??

At least this is my experience. I've just looked on line at them and they
are indeed called "ready to serve" indicators (but not by Prestige) which I
must admit I find puzzling.

Remembering the pressure cooker my parents had ~50 years ago (Prestige)
there were two pressure valves: a weight (actually a set of three that
fitted together to change the max pressure) which released steam when
'underway', and a pin in a grommet that was the safety valve. Using the
safety valve to indicate 'ready to serve' seems a very bad idea.

NOT a safety valve ****-fer-brains.
See post above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2015 09:09, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Brain dead as usual.
The safety valve only opens on OVER pressure.
It closes when pressure is NORMAL or lower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Indeed - and I do time from when its popped up (as well as turning the
heat down).

FTAOD I never doubted that *you* knew what the various gubbins did and
how to interpret them

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DJC wrote:

Remembering the pressure cooker my parents had ~50 years ago
(Prestige) there were two pressure valves: a weight (actually a set
of three that fitted together to change the max pressure) which
released steam when 'underway', and a pin in a grommet that was the
safety valve. Using the safety valve to indicate 'ready to serve'
seems a very bad idea.

Ignore Harry who is just blowing off steam (or some other vapour).

The Prestige design in question was very different from other pressure
cookers but rather clever [if it worked!] as it had 3 failure modes.
(And I'm sad enough to have checked the manual)

a. if the pressure rises above safe levels the metal "pintel" is
meant to pop up to vent the cooker
b. failing that, the whole Ready to Serve plug is meant to blow out
c. failing that, the metal pintel melts
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Actually having now read Robin's post, the use of the term does makes
sense. i.e. when the pressure is vented back to almost atmospheric, the
safety valve will fall, acting as an indication its safe to open the
cooker.

"Safe to open" would seem a more sensible name than "ready to serve".

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 10:46:24 -0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

"Safe to open" would seem a more sensible name than "ready to serve".

Even more accurate would be "in a state where it will not spew superheated water
and grease over the entire kitchen while simultaneously throwing a heavy metal
lid into the cook's forehead when opened". I'd guess that my version would not
be the one that ends up in the instructions.

Also, that "ready to serve" replaced "safe to open" because the latter suggests
that a pressure cooker could somehow be unsafe...

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 11:18:48 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

The function of that device is to vent air from the vessel.
Unlike the Safety valve it remains open until the vessel is pressurised.
A mix of air and steam is at a much lower temperature than steam alone.
It closes when the air has been displaced from the vessel.

Indeed it does, but it is a multi function component . Once it has
closed it adopts the role of a safety valve so if the dead weight
valve orifice get blocked by debris if the cooker has been over filled
or something like food pip has got into it and pressure starts to
build up too excess then the rubber plug blows out, the results may be
messy and unpleasant and you could even be injured if some lands on
you but it will be a less forceful eruption than if the metal splits ,
a third function of that particular design is to act as a fusible
plug* , if the temperature inside the cooker gets too hot the plug
melts long before the metal of the cooker gets hot enough to become
distorted by pressure. The pin a has a core of core of metal that
melts at a lower temp than the cooker itself, years ago on my
Grandmothers one I think it was lead.

It is mentioned on page nine of this manual
http://www.pressurecooker.com.au/pre...ure-Cooker.pdf
, at the bottom right hand column the left hand column describes the
plugs blowing out or venting when the weights or in the model featured
the cook control outlet gets blocked.

I think I'll take the manufactures description over what that
component is intended for rather than ignorant opinionated guesswork
by a has been like you .

*
I'm hoping that somebody who claims to have boiler experience will
know what a fusible plug is but you'll probably argue that those must
have square pins and ceramic fuses.

The pressure (hence temperature) in the device is adjusted by removing rings from the dead weight safety valve.
Usually you have the option of 5/10/15psi
They have deadweight safety valves because they are unlikely to go wrong.

To use a favourite term of yours
Drivel
If the entrance to the orifice inside the lid gets blocked by a pip
or a piece of bone then the deadweight valve becomes useless.

Yet again you demonstrate the that your life skill was the ability to
read up enough on information to pass exams etc by rote but practical
thinking ability is limited.
They are useful for tough meats that need a lot of cooking.
Also good for sterilising homemade bottled/tinned food.

That I can agree with you on,
economical as well so should eke out that winter fuel payment you get
as a benefit while looking down your nose at other benefit scroungers.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 31 December 2015 09:12:24 UTC, Tim wrote:
wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I replaced the safety valve (AKA "ready to serve"
indicator) in the elderly pressure cooker,

Just picking up on this comment. I've never seen a safety valve described
as a "ready to serve" indicator. In normal use, it should never pop up, or
at least it should only rise slightly and seal the valve. It only responds
to pressure, not time and if it has popped up, during normal use it isn't
functioning properly. How does it know that the contents are cooked??

At least this is my experience. I've just looked on line at them and they
are indeed called "ready to serve" indicators (but not by Prestige) which I
must admit I find puzzling.

it's not a safety valve that's why.
When the cooker has sufficiently cooled, the pin is sucked in, indicating that pressure has equalised and the lid can be removed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 January 2016 12:24:58 UTC, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 10:46:24 -0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

"Safe to open" would seem a more sensible name than "ready to serve".

Even more accurate would be "in a state where it will not spew superheated water
and grease over the entire kitchen while simultaneously throwing a heavy metal
lid into the cook's forehead when opened". I'd guess that my version would not
be the one that ends up in the instructions.

Also, that "ready to serve" replaced "safe to open" because the latter suggests
that a pressure cooker could somehow be unsafe...

Thomas Prufer

The vessel can't be opened under pressure, there are indents on the locking ring prevent this.
Any pressure vessel can be dangerous, especially when filled with a compressible gas/vapour
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2015 09:09, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I replaced the safety valve (AKA "ready to serve"
indicator) in the elderly pressure cooker,

Just picking up on this comment. I've never seen a safety valve described
as a "ready to serve" indicator. In normal use, it should never pop up, or
at least it should only rise slightly and seal the valve. It only responds
to pressure, not time and if it has popped up, during normal use it isn't
functioning properly. How does it know that the contents are cooked??

At least this is my experience. I've just looked on line at them and they
are indeed called "ready to serve" indicators (but not by Prestige) which I
must admit I find puzzling.

Tim

They are to indicate when the pressure has dropped so its safe to open
the lid.
If you open it while the indicator is up you can expect a visit to A&E
or worse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
On 31/12/2015 09:09, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Oh I know what it does, just never heard it called a "ready to serve"
indicator.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Safe to open" would seem a more sensible name than "ready to serve".

Even more accurate would be "in a state where it will not spew
superheated water
and grease over the entire kitchen while simultaneously throwing a heavy
metal
lid into the cook's forehead when opened". I'd guess that my version
would not
be the one that ends up in the instructions.

Also, that "ready to serve" replaced "safe to open" because the latter
suggests
that a pressure cooker could somehow be unsafe...

Thomas Prufer

The vessel can't be opened under pressure, there are indents on the locking
ring prevent this.

Really?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oEMQ8D0EZw

Any pressure vessel can be dangerous, especially when filled with a
compressible gas/vapour

Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTr5uZDgkGY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2015 09:09, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You must me

The safety valve only opens on OVER pressure.

Earlier you said that it was a vent to let air out - and that it does
that before pressure is achieved... it could only do this if open, so
make your mind up!

It closes when pressure is NORMAL or lower.

Let me explain it to you since you obviously have no idea.

In the non pressured state the floating metal part of the valve is
"loose" and hanging in the rubber grommet. Thus is its "open". As the
rate of steam generation starts to build, it will initially escape
through the open safety valve past the floating metal bit, until the
rate of escape blows the floating metal centre hard enough to push it
against the grommet. From that point on it is now closed and sealed.

During a normal cooking cycle it will stay that way until the pressure
reduces back to ambient (by virtue of being vented from the dead weight
valve - either by virtue of it being lifted off as on some designs, or
like on mine, where it is rotated to the ** or 2 position where it
vents. Once back to a non pressurised state, the metal part of the
safety valve will fall back to the open state (this is the so called
"ready to serve" part of its function).

If during cooking something goes wrong, like the dead weight valve is
defeated and the pressure rises too far, then the safety valve will let
go, allowing the metal centre (and possibly the whole grommet) to be
ejected, thus venting the cooker.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2016 15:46, harry wrote:
On Friday, 1 January 2016 12:24:58 UTC, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 10:46:24 -0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

"Safe to open" would seem a more sensible name than "ready to serve".

Even more accurate would be "in a state where it will not spew superheated water
and grease over the entire kitchen while simultaneously throwing a heavy metal
lid into the cook's forehead when opened". I'd guess that my version would not
be the one that ends up in the instructions.

Also, that "ready to serve" replaced "safe to open" because the latter suggests
that a pressure cooker could somehow be unsafe...

Thomas Prufer

The vessel can't be opened under pressure, there are indents on the locking ring prevent this.

True of some like the prestige, but not one ones like the Tefal design
with has a large metal bar across the top of the lid, the ends of which
engage in lugs on the side of the pan, and its then jacked up using a
knob on top.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2016 08:00, Robin wrote:
DJC wrote:

Remembering the pressure cooker my parents had ~50 years ago
(Prestige) there were two pressure valves: a weight (actually a set
of three that fitted together to change the max pressure) which
released steam when 'underway', and a pin in a grommet that was the
safety valve. Using the safety valve to indicate 'ready to serve'
seems a very bad idea.

Ignore Harry who is just blowing off steam (or some other vapour).

I think that harry has taken on the mantle of dribble. He seems to see
it as his duty to argue night is day just so that he can disagree with
every post!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2016 14:45, wrote:

It is mentioned on page nine of this manual
http://www.pressurecooker.com.au/pre...ure-Cooker.pdf
, at the bottom right hand column the left hand column describes the
plugs blowing out or venting when the weights or in the model featured
the cook control outlet gets blocked.

Can you hear that hissing? it must be the steam escaping from harry's
argument - deflated by the manufacturers own instructions, there in
black and white...

We await your apology harry.

The first annotated diagram seems to encompass pretty much everything
everyone has said, with the exception of harry of course.

It says: Ready To Serve indicator

* Rubber plug and pintle
* Safety plug
* Visible indication of what's happening inside the cooker i.e. that the
cooker has sealed, then at the end of cocking that pressure has been
released.

(although though it does not call it an "air vent" - perhaps that was
just hot air?)

The there is the "Rise 'n' Time indicator"

* Definite visual indication that cooker has reached cooking temperature
* Stays risen during cooking to show correct cooking temperature maintained
* Ensures excellent results every time
* Keeps fuel consumption to a minimum

I think I'll take the manufactures description over what that
component is intended for rather than ignorant opinionated guesswork
by a has been like you .

Sounds like a plan ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 30 December 2015 17:40:45 UTC, wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I replaced the safety valve (AKA "ready to serve"
indicator) in the elderly pressure cooker, but failed to look closely at
the new part. Today I offered to produce stock from the Turkey carcass
and some ageing veg and decided to use the pressure cooker. All was
well, with the usual hissing, until a thunderous fountain of steam,
turkey, fat and water erupted vertically, hit the extractor and
spread-out horizontally across about a third of the kitchen - 'twas
surprising how long it continued! Step-daughter's chap was frying some
sausages at the time and will probably take several days to recover from
the experience (fortunately the only damage was psychological).
It took two of us to clean-up the mess and I have a nasty feeling that
I'll need to dismantle the extractor to clean the fan.
The cause: it seems that the design of the valve has changed and I had
fitted it upside down. When looking closely, the top of the new one is
cunningly and mischievously marked "top".
Bu&&er!

Happy New Year to all.

Bollix.
Pressure cookers are fitted with deadweight pressure relief valves.
Virtually impossible to go wrong. Or "fit upside down".
If there were a steam explosion in a kitchen anyone nearby would be lucky
to survive.
So, an entirely fictitious story.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-14922-.../dp/B001PKTFJQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 January 2016 00:10:35 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/01/2016 14:45, wrote:

[...]

So where are the words "safety valve"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
So where are the words "safety valve"?

Page 10.

Since you seem unable to find it I'll copy out a bit:

"3. Ready to Serve Indicator acts as a safety valve giving 3 separate
levels of protection.

If there is a build up of excess pressure in the cooker, the metal
pintle will pop up allowing vertical release of steam through the centre
hole. This will reduce the pressure.

If the excess pressure is not reduced then the whole of the rubber
safety plug will blow out. This will allow a vertical release of steam
to reduce pressure.

If the cooker boils dry or becomes too hot, the metal pintle in the
centre of the Indicator will melt allowing the excess pressure to be
released."

In short, just like we have been telling you.

I trust you will now move on to that apology.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

More usefully for brain dead Harry...

Be aware of UP and DOWN
ByMr. Derek Lawon 7 October 2009
Verified Purchase

Especially if you are replacing a very old safety valve, it is not obvious
which way up these go. The old ones are flush to the top of the cooker, and
these are flush on the inside. Very close examination does reveal an
embossed "top" on the rubber, and I advise you to seek it out. A diagram on
the packet would have saved the kitchen ceiling from a goodly quantity of
chicken stock, and the rest of the kitchen furnishings from chicken rain!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2016 23:51, John Rumm wrote:
True of some like the prestige, but not one ones like the Tefal design
with has a large metal bar across the top of the lid, the ends of which
engage in lugs on the side of the pan, and its then jacked up using a
knob on top.

I don't have experience of using the Tefal-type - but doesn't the
pressure force the lid up and stop you opening it?

The Kuhn-type also have an anti-opening device built into the ring/lid.
Also, in my view a huge advantage over Prestige-weight-type, they do not
make a continual and annoying noise from steam escape.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 23:51:09 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

True of some like the prestige, but not one ones like the Tefal design
with has a large metal bar across the top of the lid, the ends of which
engage in lugs on the side of the pan, and its then jacked up using a
knob on top.

My modern pressure cooker has a latch which first releases the spring that keeps
the pressure in, and then releases the lid. (The spring also allows different
pressures to be set.)

My old pressure cooker is from 1924 or so: no lugs. It can be opened under
pressure, though the force required is much greater than when not under
pressure.

https://www.google.de/search?q=Natio...ndles&tbm=isch

It has a new lid gasket, a new rubber plug thing (and a new jigglything, because
I broke the old one by overenthusiastic cleaning). These were in stock in a
small hardware store in a (leftpondian) village -- these parts fit any pressure
cooker of that size for the past ~100 years, apparently...

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2016 14:45, wrote:

[...]

More to the point, where are your words of apology.
Ever thought of a career as a hole digger? Many mining companies would pay
big bucks for your determination to continue digging regardless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2015 16:26, wrote:
On 31/12/2015 08:31, harry wrote:
[...]

Oh dear! Until now I hadn't understood why so many regulars make fun of
you, or why you persist in posting so many strange links. Ho hum.
A (my) pressure cooker has a safety valve and interchangeable weights;
the safety valve acts as an, errrrr, safety valve and the weights allow
the appropriate pressure to be set.

I have never known a safety valve to operate on a pressure cooker.

Can you explain why the weights did not "lift" allowing sufficient steam
to vent when the pressure in the vessel had risen to the prescribed
pressure?

Do you have photos of the safety valve, or the website page you got this
part from?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 12:40, Fredxxx wrote:
On 31/12/2015 16:26, wrote:
[...]

As I said earlier: I had fitted the safety valve upside-down and the
whole valve was ejected, presumable before the pressure was enough to
lift the (H) weights. Surprisingly the valve was bought from a local
hardware shop, rather than the web - the pack looked like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prestige-Pre.../dp/B000TAXYPY
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 08:46, polygonum wrote:
On 01/01/2016 23:51, John Rumm wrote:
True of some like the prestige, but not one ones like the Tefal design
with has a large metal bar across the top of the lid, the ends of which
engage in lugs on the side of the pan, and its then jacked up using a
knob on top.

I don't have experience of using the Tefal-type - but doesn't the
pressure force the lid up and stop you opening it?

Not with the ones I am thinking of... Similar to:

http://digitech.ctcgroupltd.com/prod...uthentic-.html

The lid was held worn by pressure from the bar - if you slackened that
under pressure it would start to vent from the main lid seal.

(Note that modern versions like that pictured, may include some
mechanism to prevent this)

The Kuhn-type also have an anti-opening device built into the ring/lid.
Also, in my view a huge advantage over Prestige-weight-type, they do not
make a continual and annoying noise from steam escape.

Never tried one of those... how do they regulate the pressure then?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2015 16:26, wrote:
[...]

ISTR recall a friend of the family from way back had one operate - she
did not have enough liquid in it, and allowed it to boil dry. So the
pintle in the valve melted and let by.

(I think it shook her up a bit, since after that she would always leave
the room when it was on!)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message

[...]

Found this when looking for that answer - may be of interest.
https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146...d-psi-control/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the clarification, I misunderstood and thought there was some
other, more serious, catastrophic failure.

I can see how easy it would be to fit the wrong way!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2015 16:26, wrote:
[...]

I have no idea how safe pressure cookers are as they're not generally
tested after a few years of use, unlike any other pressure vessel. Yet
I have never known one to fail. They were all the vogue a few decades
ago, probably when most cooks felt their duty was to cook veg within an
inch of annihilation?

I must admit as a child I would feel unhappy being in the same room as one!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 14:02, Fredxxx wrote:
On 02/01/2016 13:11, John Rumm wrote:

ISTR recall a friend of the family from way back had one operate - she
did not have enough liquid in it, and allowed it to boil dry. So the
pintle in the valve melted and let by.

(I think it shook her up a bit, since after that she would always leave
the room when it was on!)

I have no idea how safe pressure cookers are as they're not generally
tested after a few years of use, unlike any other pressure vessel.

The also don't operate at huge pressures in comparison to most "real"
pressure vessels... even a normal *vented* domestic cylinder can be
operating at a higher pressure in a tall Victorian property.

Yet
I have never known one to fail. They were all the vogue a few decades
ago, probably when most cooks felt their duty was to cook veg within an
inch of annihilation?

The main attraction ISTR was the speed of cooking, plus a bit of energy
saving and efficiency (where you could do several things at once in them
with the added baskets etc)

I must admit as a child I would feel unhappy being in the same room as one!

;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Do you have photos of the safety valve, or the website page you got this
part from?

As I said earlier: I had fitted the safety valve upside-down and the
whole valve was ejected, presumable before the pressure was enough to
lift the (H) weights. Surprisingly the valve was bought from a local
hardware shop, rather than the web - the pack looked like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prestige-Pre.../dp/B000TAXYPY

Fascinated by the "multipack". I have one of those type of pressure
cookers (and have had for 30 years) in that time I have had to replace
that little thingy once - as the rubber got very hard and the device
would fall out - into the pan - with very little encouragement.

Whilst I needed one replacement the chance of ever using (or finding)
the other would be remote.

--
Chris B News

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 13:26, Richard wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

[...]

A couple of links that use pictures better than I can use words:

http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=5502.html

http://www.kuhnrikonshop.com/categor...-cookers-parts

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 January 2016 12:40:56 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:
On 31/12/2015 16:26, wrote:
[...]

The safety valve lifts when the desired pressure/temperature has been reached. The operator should then reduce the heat so it just closes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2015 16:26, wrote:
[...]

They are massively over constructed.
The chance of failure is extremely remote.
I suppose that metal fatigue will get them in the end after many thousands of cycles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 January 2016 15:47:13 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

They highest setting is normally 15psi.
The energy locked up due to enthalpy is easily enough to kill you. Especially if there was too much water in the the thing, thus storing even more energy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy_of_vaporization
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

And the pressure at which the safety blows isnt a whole lot higher than
that.

The energy locked up due to enthalpy is easily enough to kill you.

Pigs arse it is given what the safety blows at.

Especially if there was too much water in the
the thing, thus storing even more energy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy_of_vaporization

Even sillier than you usually manage.