Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dual 505 record deck sticking

There's bound to be some hi-fi guru here to help me (I hope!)

The deck was bought in the late '60's when I worked for Plessey and I could get it on discount.

It doesn't get used all that much these days, but SWMBO occasionally likes to put an LP on - and there's the rub, it doesn't work reliably.

I've taken it to pieces a couple of times to try and find out why and initially blamed the motor microswitch, which I managed to get a replacement for.. And of course that's not the problem I've now found.

It seems that when the arm is moved to start the motor the catch on to the linkage to the microswitch jumps over itself and the linkage arm is not operated. And of course every time I get any where trying to see the fault in action, it works perfectly, because I've turned the table upside down or something.

The question really is has anyone met this problem and if so did they find a solution?

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Graham wrote:
[...]

Why not bypass the microswitch and have a manual switch somewhere nearby
to switch it on and off?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2015 12:57, Rob Graham wrote:
[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7Sbcda6L4 any help?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well on a Technics deck of similar vintage, in the end it seemed to be that
the lubrication was sticky. IE the oil itself seemed to have a consistancy
of treacle. Removing as much as possible and using sewing machine oil, an
old product but still usable, it seems to work again. It still sometimes
sticks on the run out groove when its supposed to pick the thing up though,
but I understand this was a known issue with the deck I have.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Rob Graham" wrote in message
[...]

Fluidmaster Cable Pushbutton Dual Flush Valve sticking Stephen[_12_] UK diy 14 March 26th 18 11:49 AM
Record deck replacement robgraham UK diy 111 December 20th 11 05:52 PM
Thorens record deck Dave UK diy 32 April 10th 11 11:56 PM
Record Deck dismantle - Dual CS505-2 robgraham UK diy 20 December 1st 10 11:19 AM
'Dual' record player dismantlement ? robgraham UK diy 8 December 13th 09 08:06 AM