Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thorens record deck

I had a request earlier today, from my wife, if I knew where I could
find a connector for this deck. I spoke to the the owner and found that
it is square about the size of an Oxo cube and takes the mains power in
and sends it out to somewhere else. I know there is not much information
and I have googled for an answer, but until I can get any info.

Does anyone have any experience on the record deck? It might be Monday
before I can post back.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
On 01/04/2011 19:32, Dave wrote:
I had a request earlier today, from my wife, if I knew where I could
find a connector for this deck. I spoke to the the owner and found that
it is square about the size of an Oxo cube and takes the mains power in
and sends it out to somewhere else. I know there is not much information
and I have googled for an answer, but until I can get any info.

TD what?

Take great care, some are 16V AC, some are 110V AC,and some are 240V AC
motors. Sometimes with almost the same model numbers.

Manuals and links to spares he-

http://www.theanalogdept.com/manuals.htm

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2011 21:53, John Williamson wrote:
Adrian C wrote:
On 01/04/2011 19:32, Dave wrote:
I had a request earlier today, from my wife, if I knew where I could
find a connector for this deck. I spoke to the the owner and found that
it is square about the size of an Oxo cube and takes the mains power in
and sends it out to somewhere else. I know there is not much information
and I have googled for an answer, but until I can get any info.

TD what?

Take great care, some are 16V AC, some are 110V AC,and some are 240V AC
motors. Sometimes with almost the same model numbers.

Manuals and links to spares he-

http://www.theanalogdept.com/manuals.htm

Thanks, I'll get back to you next week.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

(Anyone other than me ever wondered why Thorens didn't sue Linn over
the Sondek?)

I didn't think that, but I do regret the fact that years ago I loaned my
Thorens to a mate and when he asked if I wanted it back, I said "No,
we're just moving house and I can't find room for it. You keep it."

I have a Dual something nowadays which is good, but the Thorens was
better by a long, long way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2011 23:46, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

On 2011-04-01, Dave wrote:
I had a request earlier today, from my wife, if I knew where I could
find a connector for this deck. I spoke to the the owner and found

that it is square about the size of an Oxo cube and takes the mains
power in and sends it out to somewhere else. I know there is not
much information and I have googled for an answer, but until I can
get any info.

Does anyone have any experience on the record deck? It might be

Monday before I can post back.

Which one? I have a TD160C - I can peer underneath it for you if you
provide a better description of what you need.

I only need info about where to find a connector for him.

The ******* has looked into his drawer and found a replacement.

Many thanks to all who tried to help me with the *******. I'm quite
embarrassed now for asking on his behalf.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2011-04-01, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

On 2011-04-01, Dave wrote:
I had a request earlier today, from my wife, if I knew where I could
find a connector for this deck. I spoke to the the owner and found that
it is square about the size of an Oxo cube and takes the mains power in
and sends it out to somewhere else. I know there is not much information
and I have googled for an answer, but until I can get any info.

Does anyone have any experience on the record deck? It might be Monday
before I can post back.

Which one? I have a TD160C - I can peer underneath it for you if you
provide a better description of what you need.

(Anyone other than me ever wondered why Thorens didn't sue Linn over
the Sondek?)

Who? What?

The Linn Sondek. It's a turntable, much prized by "audiophiles". It appears
to be identical to a Thoren TD160.

I have a TD125 II. I know this can do 110/240 and 50/60Hz
'cos it went to the States with me but I no longer recall what it looks
like underneath. Been too long since I powered it up.

I used mine last night. Listened to Pink Floyd's "Meddle".

I'll get around to listening to it ... one of these days

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-04-01, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:

On 2011-04-01, Dave wrote:
[...]

I have a TD160. Bought it in Edgware Road and carried it all the way home
to East Kent, many years ago. I listen to "Meddle" too.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

On 2011-04-01, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:

On 2011-04-01, Dave wrote:
[...]

I hear echoes

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

I used mine last night. Listened to Pink Floyd's "Meddle".

IMO better than DSOTM, if only for "One of These Days". I can still
recall the animation that accompanied it on OGWT. I ran out of the house
the next day to buy it. Currently on my fifth vinyl copy and my second
CD.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 23:34:22 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,

On 2011-04-01, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

On 2011-04-01, Dave wrote:
I had a request earlier today, from my wife, if I knew where I
could find a connector for this deck. I spoke to the the owner and
found that it is square about the size of an Oxo cube and takes
the mains power in and sends it out to somewhere else. I know
there is not much information and I have googled for an answer,
but until I can get any info.

Does anyone have any experience on the record deck? It might be
Monday before I can post back.

Which one? I have a TD160C - I can peer underneath it for you if you
provide a better description of what you need.

(Anyone other than me ever wondered why Thorens didn't sue Linn over
the Sondek?)

Who? What?

The Linn Sondek. It's a turntable, much prized by "audiophiles". It
appears to be identical to a Thoren TD160.

Oh really? Never heard of it. I bought Quad 33/303 in 1970, and Thorens
TD125/SME arm/V15 at pretty much the same time. IMF monitors in 1974.
Quad FM tuner in 1986 (upgraded the pre-amp then, too), and haven't
looked back. It all sounded good enough that I've not bothered to look
at anything since.

Same here! Got the 33/303 off an unappreciative brother-in-law a long
time ago.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-04-01, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

On 2011-04-01, Dave wrote:
[...]

I never liked the 33/303. The older stuff's far better imho.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Apr 7, 11:57*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

Perhaps Thorens made it for Linn.
I visited the Linn factory (as it wasn't far from me) and was surprised
at how small it was. Istr other items with the Linn badge that weren't
made there.

Well, Ivor started Linn out of Castle Precision Engineering, which
IIRC was owned/run by his father. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if
they did work for others, especially in the early days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linn_Products

J^n