Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default P&D quote

So:

1 en suite, the smallest space possible it could fit into, one third of
which is the shower so no work there and the rest is half tiled - walls the
same colour as now (the previous occupant did it badly!) ceiling and one
small window (standard white gloss).

1 bathroom = normal size, full height tiles around the bath, one wall
feature-wall papered which is staying, other wall half tiled. walls the
same colour as now, ceiling and one small window.

1 small bedroom, again about the smallest possible for a single bed and
wardrobe. 4 walls, ceiling and 1 window. Currently white - replace with
light shade.

1 18 ft hallway - 2 walls and ceiling, currently white - replace with light
shade.

2 larger windows in lounge, one of which is full height (no other work on
that room).

me to move all the furniture!

Note no work on doors, frames or skirting - previous occupant didn't mess
with them.

so what would you expect?

I'm in SE outside the M25 - chappy lives 10 doors away so no premium for
difficult travel or parking - would expect a discount for the easy location,
but I bet I'm not getting it!

The quote's higher than I expected but not "How Much!", TBH when he told me
how many days it would take and the daily rate is about what I expected but
I thought it would be fewer days, and I really want to sanity check the
duration - as each extra day he is here is an extra day I have to sit with
him.

Either he's going to do a perfect job (which TBH, I would prefer) or he's a
slow worker

comments appreciated

TIA

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

So:

comments appreciated

TIA

tim

Unless you're already an expert, its very bad practice to consider
a single quote for any job. You need to get as many quotes as you
can - both for the cost and time taken, which should give you
a better idea and then play them off against one another. Not
directly but to the extent of allowing you to say with confidence
"thats a bit higher/longer than I've been quoted elsewhere."
If any of them get the hump at this then you're probably
better off without them, as you're the one paying and so
you need to have the whip hand throughout.
Four other points.
P&D is the sort of thing a lot of people think they can do
so probably attracts a lot of incompetents and cowboys
especially those with the gift of the gab.
If you're new to the area then personal recommendations
may be short on the ground, but posting an enquiry on a local
neighbours website might help. Although you can also
get widely differing opinions maybe based on personal
chemistry.
Ideally you'd want to see evidence past work done for
satisfied customers

The fact that this guy is local doesn't necessarily speak well
and suggests you may have chosen him for the wrong, and totally
arbitrary reason

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

So:

comments appreciated

TIA

Four other points.

Oh and another one. Don't necessarily go for the lowest quote.
ISTR a rule of thumb of going for the next to the lowest
quote, and the reasoning behind it which sounded vaguely
convincing but I'm damned if I can remember it.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

[...]

According to his web site he's been doing P&D since he left school 30 years
ago.

and all I want is some walls emulsioned and a small amount of woodwork. If
he stuffs up after the first room I'm perfectly capable to telling him to
make it good or go.

It's only P&D, there isn't much/any scope for it to be more expensive to put
right after he has done some work that before (unless he drops paint all
over the carpet of course).

The fact that this guy is local doesn't necessarily speak well
and suggests you may have chosen him for the wrong, and totally
arbitrary reason

Perhaps I am too optimistic but I think the chance that he may bump into me
on a daily basis after he has done the job gives me some security.

FWIW, we have just had the outside woodwork painted. The MAs took the
middle quote which was only slightly above the lowest and quite a way from
the highest. I got the lowdown when talking to the young man representing
the contractor. They are a five man company but the didn't have enough guys
to do the work so their hired in jobbing P&Ds to help. As it's a three
storey building they spent an awful lot of money hiring in those rising
platform thingies, which they left unused for half the time because they
didn't give our job top priority - Apparently the Surveyor who the MAs hired
to oversee the work said that they took 2-3 months (50%) longer than he
expected it to take.

And the job that they did was poor. This only got them into the passable
condition because the job done by the original developers was ****ing awful.

So you are right, there's an awful lot of crap people around, but the
standard he has to reach isn't very high and I'm perfectly capable of
assessing whether he is meeting it.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

The MAs took the middle quote

P&D was only a minor head-scratch, but MA?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
tim..... wrote:

The MAs took the middle quote

P&D was only a minor head-scratch, but MA?

Managing Agents? Flats I presume.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2015 19:07, tim..... wrote:

Unless you're already an expert, its very bad practice to consider
a single quote for any job. You need to get as many quotes as you
can - both for the cost and time taken, which should give you
a better idea and then play them off against one another.

If I get a caller saying "I've had a few quotes and I'm looking for the
best price" I usually hang up.

No such thing as a free quote - if you're a tradesman.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2015 21:15, David Lang wrote:
On 15/12/2015 19:07, tim..... wrote:

Unless you're already an expert, its very bad practice to consider
a single quote for any job. You need to get as many quotes as you
can - both for the cost and time taken, which should give you
a better idea and then play them off against one another.

If I get a caller saying "I've had a few quotes and I'm looking for the
best price" I usually hang up.

No such thing as a free quote - if you're a tradesman.

I *do* have some sympathy with that, particularly for your type of
business. But for something like central heating I would typically look
for three quotes and would certainly recommend that to anyone more
vulnerable or less experienced. I'd try to be very straight with the
tradesmen, also I would try to give them some sort of written spec or
other details to make estimating easier. And if it is a job where there
might be more under the surface I would be clear that I wanted an
estimate, not a fixed price quote.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

On 15/12/2015 19:07, tim..... wrote:

[...]

Nothing wrong with charging a small fee for a quote, possibly
refundable if awarded the work.

I'd also be looking for what the work quality is like and what the
tradesman's particular prejudices might be such as "I always/never use
copper/plastic pipework and here's why".

When you're involved with something semi-public, like a village hall, 3
quotes are always needed.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

On 15/12/2015 19:07, tim..... wrote:

[...]

Except it would lead to scamsters setting up a scheme where they charge for
quotes, quoting ludicrous prices, never winning any work, but still making a
tidy living

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2015 18:05, Tim Streater wrote:

On 15/12/2015 19:07, tim..... wrote:

[...]

If you could get away with it.

I'd also be looking for what the work quality is like and what the
tradesman's particular prejudices might be such as "I always/never use
copper/plastic pipework and here's why".

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"David Lang" wrote in message
On 15/12/2015 19:07, tim..... wrote:

Unless you're already an expert, its very bad practice to consider
a single quote for any job. You need to get as many quotes as you
can - both for the cost and time taken, which should give you
a better idea and then play them off against one another.

If I get a caller saying "I've had a few quotes and I'm looking for the
best price" I usually hang up.

No such thing as a free quote - if you're a tradesman.

Not even for a wireless doorbell fitting?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 December 2015 22:50:45 UTC, tim..... wrote:
(the previous occupant did it badly!)

You hope. He might have just got the chappy from 10 doors away to do it.

Or the chappy from 10 doors away knows that your walls are really made of masticated toilet paper which won't sand down nicely.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 December 2015 13:19:20 UTC, wrote:
Or the chappy from 10 doors away knows that your walls are really made

of masticated toilet paper which won't sand down nicely.
It won't? Damn!

It won't.

DAMHIKT.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 December 2015 14:18:11 UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 December 2015 13:19:20 UTC, nt wrote:

Or the chappy from 10 doors away knows that your walls are really made

of masticated toilet paper which won't sand down nicely.

It won't? Damn!

It won't.

DAMHIKT.

Owain

saving money can be so complex

Although moulded paper products don't sand well they can be given a nice smooth finish during moulding.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 14 December 2015 22:50:45 UTC, tim..... wrote:
(the previous occupant did it badly!)

You hope. He might have just got the chappy from 10 doors away to do it.

possibly :-(

Or the chappy from 10 doors away knows that your walls are really made of
masticated toilet paper which won't sand down nicely.

It's the (lack of) cutting in and finish around the plugs (which were
painted up to the edge - not, rather than loosened to paint behind) that's
the problem

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2015 22:50, tim..... wrote:

[...]

What's his daily rate?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Lang" wrote in message
On 14/12/2015 22:50, tim..... wrote:

[...]

I took a guess at 150 for labour and say, 30 quid for materials per day,
before the quote came in, and that's spot on for the number of days he said
it will take.

but is that right number - how long would you need to do it
(hypothetically)?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

I took a guess at 150 for labour and say, 30 quid for materials per
day, before the quote came in, and that's spot on for the number of
days he said it will take.

but is that right number - how long would you need to do it
(hypothetically)?

You can't guess at materials.

White emulsion ranges from £10 for 5L to £50 for the same.

Colours are even more haphazzard, magnolia is the same as white, you can get
5L for a tenner, but call it 'barley white' or 'pensioners pubes' and it
starts at £20 for 2.5L

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2015 20:41, Phil L wrote:
tim..... wrote:

I took a guess at 150 for labour and say, 30 quid for materials per
day, before the quote came in, and that's spot on for the number of
days he said it will take.

but is that right number - how long would you need to do it
(hypothetically)?

You can't guess at materials.

White emulsion ranges from £10 for 5L to £50 for the same.

Colours are even more haphazzard, magnolia is the same as white, you can get
5L for a tenner, but call it 'barley white' or 'pensioners pubes' and it
starts at £20 for 2.5L

Dulux Trade and B&Q Dulux are two different things - as reflected in the
price.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

I took a guess at 150 for labour and say, 30 quid for materials per
day, before the quote came in, and that's spot on for the number of
days he said it will take.

but is that right number - how long would you need to do it
(hypothetically)?

You can't guess at materials.

White emulsion ranges from £10 for 5L to £50 for the same.

Colours are even more haphazzard, magnolia is the same as white, you can
get
5L for a tenner, but call it 'barley white' or 'pensioners pubes' and it
starts at £20 for 2.5L

Dulux Trade and B&Q Dulux are two different things - as reflected in the
price.

He claimed I'd be getting the former.

Dunno whereabouts round here he'd get it though

(Do they sell paint in Jewsons?)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
[...]

I could paint ceiling and walls in the bedroom, bathroom and ensuite on the
first day, then do any touching up and paint the windows up there on day 2.

Day 3: sort out ceiling and walls in hallway and paint two living room
windows, go home and have lunch

2.5 to 3 days maximum.
Obviously this is assuming there's not much filling etc, if the walls are
cracked up and full of holes then a few hours longer.

This is for 2 coating the walls, but not the ceilings, normally white
ceilings (provding there's no smokers lived there) will go in one coat, and
for lighlty sanding and glossing the windows, no undercoat, add half a day
if there's undercoat involved

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
tim..... wrote:
[...]

how are you going to undercoat and topcoat gloss in half a day?

Surely you will have to return on day 3?

That's less than even I thought and half what I have been quoted.

Obviously this is assuming there's not much filling etc, if the walls are
cracked up and full of holes then a few hours longer.

Almost none. It's a new build and there's only a few shelves that have been
removed where the holes need repair

This is for 2 coating the walls, but not the ceilings, normally white
ceilings (provding there's no smokers lived there) will go in one coat,
and for lighlty sanding and glossing the windows, no undercoat, add half a
day if there's undercoat involved

You put gloss on top of sanded down gloss? Really.

I'll add the half a day.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
tim..... wrote:
[...]

See above, *DAY 3* :sort out ceiling and walls in hallway and paint two
living
room windows, go home and have lunch

That's less than even I thought and half what I have been quoted.

Obviously this is assuming there's not much filling etc, if the
walls are cracked up and full of holes then a few hours longer.

Almost none. It's a new build and there's only a few shelves that
have been removed where the holes need repair

This is for 2 coating the walls, but not the ceilings, normally white
ceilings (provding there's no smokers lived there) will go in one
coat, and for lighlty sanding and glossing the windows, no
undercoat, add half a day if there's undercoat involved

You put gloss on top of sanded down gloss? Really.

I'll add the half a day.

Acrylic undercoat is overpaintable in an hour.

Acrylic gloss is overpaintable in an hour.

Internal woodwork doesn't really require undercoating unless you are
drastically changing the colour, say from black to white.

Building up multiple coats of undercoat and gloss indoors serves no
purpose - the timber isn't open to the elements like outside, it's for
decoration only, it's pointless trying to 'waterproof' the woodwork when the
walls are painted with water based emulsion

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 December 2015 22:50:45 UTC, tim..... wrote:
So:

1 en suite, the smallest space possible it could fit into, one third of
which is the shower so no work there and the rest is half tiled - walls the
same colour as now (the previous occupant did it badly!) ceiling and one
small window (standard white gloss).

Is that standard white gloss that you had in stock, or have you prepared for
the almost immediate yellowing of the latest EU approved standard white gloss.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim.....
writes

So:

1 en suite, the smallest space possible it could fit into, one third of
which is the shower so no work there and the rest is half tiled - walls
the same colour as now (the previous occupant did it badly!) ceiling
and one small window (standard white gloss).

1 bathroom = normal size, full height tiles around the bath, one wall
feature-wall papered which is staying, other wall half tiled. walls
the same colour as now, ceiling and one small window.

1 small bedroom, again about the smallest possible for a single bed and
wardrobe. 4 walls, ceiling and 1 window. Currently white - replace
with light shade.

1 18 ft hallway - 2 walls and ceiling, currently white - replace with
light shade.

2 larger windows in lounge, one of which is full height (no other work
on that room).

Umm, 3 days? Depending on the amount of prep and what you want done to
the windows exactly
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris French" wrote in message
[...]

As much as necessary :-)

but I'm only expecting the very few blemishes to be fixed before painting.
I'm not expecting the whole wall to be sanded for a mirror finish

and what you want done to the windows exactly

so that's 2 of you for 3 days

I have some thinking to do

Thanks everybody

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim.....
writes

[...]

Well, if it was me I'd probably take longer :-)

My rough thinking was 2 days for prepping and emulsion on the various
walls and ceilings and a day for the windows. Spread around however
works best. Type of paint and type of windows makes a difference though,
so could maybe longer?. Using an acrylic undercoat the windows can be
undercoated and painted in one day I reckon, without seeing them, though
if they are georgian/victorian multi-paned with lots of glazing bars it
can seem like forever painting them :-).
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

An extra day is still light years less that I have been quoted

My rough thinking was 2 days for prepping and emulsion on the various
walls and ceilings and a day for the windows. Spread around however works
best. Type of paint and type of windows makes a difference though, so
could maybe longer?. Using an acrylic undercoat the windows can be
undercoated and painted in one day I reckon, without seeing them, though
if they are georgian/victorian multi-paned with lots of glazing bars it
can seem like forever painting them :-).

Nope,

Small ones are a full single pane opener, large one split into thirds with
two openers

tim

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If you're lumping the furniture about, why not diy?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

If it was only the walls, I would

but I really hate preparing already painted woodwork

and if I'm getting a man in for that, for the sake of a few hundred, he
might as well do the walls as well

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2015 09:24, tim..... wrote:
for the sake of a few hundred, he
might as well do the walls as well

Your money etc but I would rather spend a few hundred on me and do the
walls myself.

O/T: Quote Of THe Day Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 61 September 11th 12 04:39 AM
Quote Devil's Advocate Electronics 5 December 15th 09 05:40 PM
Quote [email protected] UK diy 5 July 30th 06 09:19 PM
quote of the day Birchy Woodturning 0 March 31st 05 09:41 PM