Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default What is corrosive to pipework ?

I will be boxing in an area of pipework that comes out of the pipe stack.
It has PVC waste, copper pipe and also flexi plastic water pipe.
I want to seal the holes around the pipework before I box it in.
Is there any reason not to use either, Caulk, Silicone or one coat
plaster that may cause corrosion on the pipe work?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2015 10:54, ss wrote:
I will be boxing in an area of pipework that comes out of the pipe stack.
It has PVC waste, copper pipe and also flexi plastic water pipe.
I want to seal the holes around the pipework before I box it in.
Is there any reason not to use either, Caulk, Silicone or one coat
plaster that may cause corrosion on the pipe work?

Perfectly ok. The main culprit that corrodes copper is cement when it is
setting, but wrapping Denzo tape around the copper pipes will prevent
cement from attacking the copper.

--
Bod

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd say no. Most pipes are pretty immune to most common substances or nobody
would make pipes out of it.
Certainly most fillers and sealants I've seen doing this job and the pipes
have always been fine, assuming no leaks due to old age or mechanical
straining. I I had an event in a boxed in piece in the back of the kitchen
cupboard when as I later found out a hot water pipe going to the tap had a
pin hole in it and made the inside of the box very, um hot and humid over
some months. the inside was disgusting, growing mould and rusting
everything steel and putting a gungy green mess on copper.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"ss" wrote in message
I will be boxing in an area of pipework that comes out of the pipe stack.
It has PVC waste, copper pipe and also flexi plastic water pipe.
I want to seal the holes around the pipework before I box it in.
Is there any reason not to use either, Caulk, Silicone or one coat plaster
that may cause corrosion on the pipe work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/12/2015 19:49, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I'd say no. Most pipes are pretty immune to most common substances or nobody
would make pipes out of it.
Certainly most fillers and sealants I've seen doing this job and the pipes
have always been fine, assuming no leaks due to old age or mechanical
straining. I I had an event in a boxed in piece in the back of the kitchen
cupboard when as I later found out a hot water pipe going to the tap had a
pin hole in it and made the inside of the box very, um hot and humid over
some months. the inside was disgusting, growing mould and rusting
everything steel and putting a gungy green mess on copper.
Brian

Ok I will probably use the caulk that I have as that will allow for some
expansion/contraction.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ss
writes
On 11/12/2015 19:49, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I'd say no. Most pipes are pretty immune to most common substances or nobody
would make pipes out of it.
Certainly most fillers and sealants I've seen doing this job and the pipes
have always been fine, assuming no leaks due to old age or mechanical
straining. I I had an event in a boxed in piece in the back of the kitchen
cupboard when as I later found out a hot water pipe going to the tap had a
pin hole in it and made the inside of the box very, um hot and humid over
some months. the inside was disgusting, growing mould and rusting
everything steel and putting a gungy green mess on copper.
Brian

Ok I will probably use the caulk that I have as that will allow for
some expansion/contraction.

Where are the holes that you want to fill?

If it is a hole through a wall and is hidden I tend to use a squirt of
expanding foam.

If it is visible you can get collars for the pipes to cover the gap.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/15 11:04, Chris French wrote:
Where are the holes that you want to fill?

If it is a hole through a wall and is hidden I tend to use a squirt of
expanding foam.

And if it's a pvc waste pipe, I wrap a piece of heavy sheet plastic
around first - allows the pipe to slide if it wants to for expansion.

If it is visible you can get collars for the pipes to cover the gap.

I use those for pipes through ceilings and those are very neat IMHO.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
On 12/12/15 11:04, Chris French wrote:
If it is visible you can get collars for the pipes to cover the gap.

I use those for pipes through ceilings and those are very neat IMHO.

Poundland often have packets of 10, for 15mm pipe.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 December 2015 21:25:02 UTC, ss wrote:
On 11/12/2015 19:49, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I'd say no. Most pipes are pretty immune to most common substances or nobody
would make pipes out of it.
Certainly most fillers and sealants I've seen doing this job and the pipes
have always been fine, assuming no leaks due to old age or mechanical
straining. I I had an event in a boxed in piece in the back of the kitchen
cupboard when as I later found out a hot water pipe going to the tap had a
pin hole in it and made the inside of the box very, um hot and humid over
some months. the inside was disgusting, growing mould and rusting
everything steel and putting a gungy green mess on copper.
Brian

Ok I will probably use the caulk that I have as that will allow for some
expansion/contraction.

Thanks

Pipes that pass through walls are supposed to be sleeved to be a good job. (Especially where there are temperature changes.)
I usea bit of plastic pipe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss writes:
I will be boxing in an area of pipework that comes out of the pipe stack.
It has PVC waste, copper pipe and also flexi plastic water pipe.
I want to seal the holes around the pipework before I box it in.
Is there any reason not to use either, Caulk, Silicone or one coat
plaster that may cause corrosion on the pipe work?

Plaster will corrode copper if moisture is present, such as a cold water
pipe with condensation forming on it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
I will be boxing in an area of pipework that comes out of the pipe
stack. It has PVC waste, copper pipe and also flexi plastic water
pipe. I want to seal the holes around the pipework before I box it in.
Is there any reason not to use either, Caulk, Silicone or one coat
plaster that may cause corrosion on the pipe work?

Plaster may cause corrosion of the copper if moisture is present, copper
doesn't like alkalis.
You can get around this by wrapping insulation tape around copper where it
goes through masonry or is in contact with plaster

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 12/12/2015 16:16, Phil L wrote:
ss wrote:
I will be boxing in an area of pipework that comes out of the pipe
stack. It has PVC waste, copper pipe and also flexi plastic water
pipe. I want to seal the holes around the pipework before I box it in.
Is there any reason not to use either, Caulk, Silicone or one coat
plaster that may cause corrosion on the pipe work?

Plaster may cause corrosion of the copper if moisture is present, copper
doesn't like alkalis.
You can get around this by wrapping insulation tape around copper where it
goes through masonry or is in contact with plaster

Thanks for all the replies.

The pipework will be hidden as I am `boxing` that part in, I just want
to seal any gaps for draughts and mice access.

Corrosive substance shipment asalcedo UK diy 5 June 21st 12 07:55 AM
Stainless or Outdoor Green Corrosive Resistant fixing for oak? John UK diy 5 March 19th 09 01:17 PM
Noisy pipework John Anderton UK diy 2 August 18th 04 09:21 PM
Airlock in pipework? Aenuff UK diy 2 March 10th 04 04:15 PM
Steel gas pipework and new copper pipework David Hearn UK diy 5 February 5th 04 04:41 PM