Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 18:36:32 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 18:02:47 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Anyway, every time I've seen one of those yellow builders
transformers
for sale, it's referred to as isolating.

Of course it's isolating. That refers to the design of transformer.

Hmmmm, isolating from the mains perhaps. I assumed isolating was
completely isolated, as in floating.

That's what it means. The output winding has no reference to the input
one.

It does on one end in the case of an earthed builder's one.

Using an auto transformer

Oh is that what they're called, I call those Variacs. Very useful.

A Variac is a variable voltage transformer. And entirely different
device.

No, it's an auto transformer where you can move the tap. The coil is in
the same configuration.

to give the 110v would work the tools - but could end
up with 240 on one leg of the output to ground if incorrectly wired
up.

Anything can be dangerous if you wire it up wrong. Don't.

If you could guarantee everything was correctly wired and used safely,
there'd be no need for additional safety precautions.

Safety precautions don't tolerate incorrect wiring.

Double insulated does.

Why do they call it double insulated?

Because it is, stupid.

It's just insulated. Eg. plastic chassis.

That is extra to the insulation on the wires, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 17:52:06 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:46:00 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265

wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
Anyway, every time I've seen one of those yellow builders
transformers for sale, it's referred to as isolating.

Of course it's isolating. That refers to the design of
transformer.

Hmmmm, isolating from the mains perhaps. I assumed isolating was
completely isolated, as in floating.

Using an auto transformer

Oh is that what they're called, I call those Variacs. Very useful.

Vsriacs have a variable ouput. Autotransfomers can be fixed.

Seems pointless. Are they cheaper than two separate coils or
something?

yes because it's only one coil - with a tap somewhere near the middle
get 120V)

I guess they're more for smaller step downs? Because most are like 240V
to 12V, where the output needs more current so a thicker coil.

Anyone with even half a clue doesn't use transformers for those anymore.

I do if one is lying around.

More fool you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 17:50:30 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Anyway, every time I've seen one of those yellow builders
transformers
for sale, it's referred to as isolating.

Of course it's isolating. That refers to the design of transformer.

Hmmmm, isolating from the mains perhaps. I assumed isolating was
completely isolated, as in floating.

Using an auto transformer

Oh is that what they're called, I call those Variacs. Very useful.

Vsriacs have a variable ouput. Autotransfomers can be fixed.

Seems pointless. Are they cheaper than two separate coils or something?

Corse they are, just one coil, stupid.

But you can take less power through it.

Wrong, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Anyway, every time I've seen one of those yellow builders
transformers
for sale, it's referred to as isolating.

Of course it's isolating. That refers to the design of transformer.

Hmmmm, isolating from the mains perhaps. I assumed isolating was
completely isolated, as in floating.

Using an auto transformer

Oh is that what they're called, I call those Variacs. Very useful.

Vsriacs have a variable ouput. Autotransfomers can be fixed.

Seems pointless. Are they cheaper than two separate coils or something?

Corse they are, just one coil, stupid.

I dread to think how you work out how much current is flowing through the
bit which is a primary and a secondary.

Your problem. It is in fact completely trivial to do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Anyway, every time I've seen one of those yellow builders
transformers
for sale, it's referred to as isolating.

Of course it's isolating. That refers to the design of transformer.

Hmmmm, isolating from the mains perhaps. I assumed isolating was
completely isolated, as in floating.

Using an auto transformer

Oh is that what they're called, I call those Variacs. Very useful.

Vsriacs have a variable ouput. Autotransfomers can be fixed.

Seems pointless. Are they cheaper than two separate coils or something?

Corse they are, just one coil, stupid.

I dread to think how you work out how much current is flowing through the
bit which is a primary and a secondary.

Your problem. It is in fact completely trivial to do that.

I tried to work it out for a variac once and got completely confused, but it seems to make sense now.

Consider 240V into the whole coil and a load drawing 5 amps at 24V. Is it true that the part of the coil between the load terminals carries 4.5A backwards and the rest of the coil carries 0.5A forwards?

--
I married my wife for her looks...but not the ones she's been giving me lately!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 21:49:20 +0000, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

But with my scheme you can only get a shock if there are two faults.
With the current scheme you only need one fault.

No, with your scheme you can get a shock if there is an earth fault on
*either* pole of the supply. Earth faults on *both* poles would be needed
to blow a fuse. As it's fairly rare to get 2 earth faults the chance of
the system being left with a pole at full voltage to earth is very
likely. That makes it just as dangerous as the current system but without
the advantage that a single earth fault is all that's needed to blow a
fuse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 19:33:46 -0000, mick wrote:

On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 21:49:20 +0000, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

But with my scheme you can only get a shock if there are two faults.
With the current scheme you only need one fault.

No, with your scheme you can get a shock if there is an earth fault on
*either* pole of the supply. Earth faults on *both* poles would be needed
to blow a fuse. As it's fairly rare to get 2 earth faults the chance of
the system being left with a pole at full voltage to earth is very
likely. That makes it just as dangerous as the current system but without
the advantage that a single earth fault is all that's needed to blow a
fuse.

But the second fault I was talking about was the one exposing a pole to your finger.

--
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same. -- Oscar Wilde
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Anyway, every time I've seen one of those yellow builders
transformers
for sale, it's referred to as isolating.

Of course it's isolating. That refers to the design of transformer.

Hmmmm, isolating from the mains perhaps. I assumed isolating was
completely isolated, as in floating.

Using an auto transformer

Oh is that what they're called, I call those Variacs. Very useful.

Vsriacs have a variable ouput. Autotransfomers can be fixed.

Seems pointless. Are they cheaper than two separate coils or something?

Corse they are, just one coil, stupid.

But you can take less power through it.

Wrong, as always.

Traditional transformer, secondary lower voltage coil is thicker wire.

--
Peter is listening to "Eagles - Hotel California"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:46:00 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265

wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
[...]

Why buy a new thing when an old thing is already available and usable?

--
He was a very clumsy lover. So the girl had to put him in her place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:46:00 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265

wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
[...]

I've yet to see a low voltage AC supply that doesn't use a transformer.

--
He was a very clumsy lover. So the girl had to put him in her place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

Yeah, but that's your ear to ear dog ****.

but it seems to make sense now.

Consider 240V into the whole coil and a load drawing 5 amps at 24V. Is it
true that the part of the coil between the load terminals carries 4.5A
backwards and the rest of the coil carries 0.5A forwards?

Nope.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 18:02:47 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
[...]

Faults are usually the bare wire coming out of a connector, not the insulation on the wires decaying.

--
In 1999 the creators of KY Jelly created a new product. It was called "Y2K Jelly." It allowed you to get four digits in your date instead of two.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 19:33:46 -0000, mick wrote:

On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 21:49:20 +0000, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

But with my scheme you can only get a shock if there are two faults.
With the current scheme you only need one fault.

No, with your scheme you can get a shock if there is an earth fault on
*either* pole of the supply. Earth faults on *both* poles would be needed
to blow a fuse. As it's fairly rare to get 2 earth faults the chance of
the system being left with a pole at full voltage to earth is very
likely. That makes it just as dangerous as the current system but without
the advantage that a single earth fault is all that's needed to blow a
fuse.

But the second fault I was talking about was the one exposing a pole to
your finger.

Still a problem because the first earth fault would be impossible to
detect when the entire substation output is floated and so would be
there for a long time before anyone noticed and anyone who had a
device that has got either pole connected to the case due to a fault
can kill someone and there is no way to protect against that either.

Which is why no one world wide was ever silly
enough to use your hare brained scheme.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Anyway, every time I've seen one of those yellow builders
transformers
for sale, it's referred to as isolating.

Of course it's isolating. That refers to the design of
transformer.

Hmmmm, isolating from the mains perhaps. I assumed isolating was
completely isolated, as in floating.

Using an auto transformer

Oh is that what they're called, I call those Variacs. Very useful.

Vsriacs have a variable ouput. Autotransfomers can be fixed.

Seems pointless. Are they cheaper than two separate coils or
something?

Corse they are, just one coil, stupid.

But you can take less power through it.

Wrong, as always.

Traditional transformer, secondary lower voltage coil is thicker wire.

Auto transformers aren't done like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:46:00 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265

wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles

wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
[...]

Because they work a hell of a lot better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:46:00 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265

wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles

wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
[...]

**** all uses low voltage AC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 18:02:47 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
[...]

And well designed system allows for all
faults, not just the most common ones.

And few wires come out of connectors
anymore with plugs molded on cables.

not the insulation on the wires decaying.

I said nothing about wires decaying.

That isn't the reason for double insulated devices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:46:00 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265

wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles

wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
[...]

I've found it useful on a number of occasions.

--
I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place. -- Steven Wright
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:46:00 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265

wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles

wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
[...]

No, they just save a tiny amount of electricity.

--
What is it when a man talks nasty to a woman?
Sexual Harassment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:46:00 -0000, charles

wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265

wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles

wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
[...]

Not with an external transformer it hardly ever does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:46:00 -0000, charles

wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265

wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles

wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
[...]

I wasn't talking about the amount of electricity they save.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
A Variac is a variable voltage transformer. And entirely different
device.

No, it's an auto transformer where you can move the tap. The coil is in
the same configuration.

All girls who attend The High School wear green blazers.
Therefore all girls who wear green blazers attend the High School.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:21:37 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
A Variac is a variable voltage transformer. And entirely different
device.

No, it's an auto transformer where you can move the tap. The coil is in
the same configuration.

All girls who attend The High School wear green blazers.
Therefore all girls who wear green blazers attend the High School.

Stupid analogy. You're talking about something which is a subset of another, then saying you can't reverse the assumption. I didn't reverse the assumption, I never said all auto transformers were Variacs, I said a variac is a special kind of auto transformer.

--
A patient complained to his doctor, "I've been to three other doctors and none of them agreed with your diagnosis."
The doctor calmly replied, "Just wait until the autopsy, then they'll see that I was right."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:21:37 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
A Variac is a variable voltage transformer. And entirely different
device.

No, it's an auto transformer where you can move the tap. The coil is in
the same configuration.

All girls who attend The High School wear green blazers.
Therefore all girls who wear green blazers attend the High School.

Stupid analogy.

It isn't an analogy.

You're talking about something which is a subset of another, then saying
you can't reverse the assumption.

He's not doing that either.

I didn't reverse the assumption, I never said all auto transformers were
Variacs, I said a variac is a special kind of auto transformer.

True, he ****ed up completely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

********************
From: Tough Guy no. 1265
Subject: Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:15
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

Using an auto transformer

Oh is that what they're called, I call those Variacs. Very useful.

********************

Now wriggle out of that.

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:27:28 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

********************
From: Tough Guy no. 1265
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:15
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

Using an auto transformer

Oh is that what they're called, I call those Variacs. Very useful.

********************

Now wriggle out of that.

You've removed all the context like a true troll. The only part I can see above is "it's an auto transformer where you can move the tap" - that's what I was referring to.

--
Two Irish couples decided to swap partners for the night.
After 3 hours of amazing sex, Paddy says "I wonder how the girls are getting on".

Mains voltage zero crossing detector with optical isolated output - Drive_R_S_Flop.pdf Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 3 February 24th 12 12:44 AM
UK mains voltage 240...220..? [email protected] UK diy 10 December 21st 07 09:31 AM
Mains Voltage Julian UK diy 45 January 16th 07 09:05 PM
Downlighters - mains or low voltage F UK diy 70 July 5th 06 04:44 PM
Mains Voltage fluctations John Geddes UK diy 23 April 5th 06 12:51 PM