Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:21:37 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
A Variac is a variable voltage transformer. And entirely different
device.

No, it's an auto transformer where you can move the tap. The coil is in
the same configuration.

All girls who attend The High School wear green blazers.
Therefore all girls who wear green blazers attend the High School.

Stupid analogy. You're talking about something which is a subset of
another, then saying you can't reverse the assumption. I didn't reverse
the assumption, I never said all auto transformers were Variacs, I said
a variac is a special kind of auto transformer.

********************
From: Tough Guy no. 1265
Subject: Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:15
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

Using an auto transformer

Oh is that what they're called, I call those Variacs. Very useful.

Now wriggle out of that.

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.