Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Catch up

I've not been active for a while but over the last few days I have been rekindling my interest in the group. Some of the old regulars are still in evidence, some are seemingly not. Does Geoff of CET still contribute?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Adam. I recall you used to post entertaining cctv occasionally. Are your neighbours still creating enjoyment? :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
Hi Adam. I recall you used to post entertaining cctv occasionally. Are
your neighbours still creating enjoyment? :-)

I have new neighbours.

Paul that did the driveway (that CCTV?) got two years for money laundering -
I would have given him 6 years for the driveway he laid:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARW" writes:
wrote in message
Hi Adam. I recall you used to post entertaining cctv occasionally. Are
your neighbours still creating enjoyment? :-)

I have new neighbours.

Paul that did the driveway (that CCTV?) got two years for money laundering -
I would have given him 6 years for the driveway he laid:-)

I would have thought that if he had money to launder, he would
have found some money to get the driveway done properly. ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
sm_jamieson writes

I used to enjoy the posts from "Mary" about bread ovens etc.

Indeed. I'm embarrassed now, though, as doubtless I have overlooked
people. I did enjoy the posts by the guy renovating the barn. He used
to post fascinating images, too.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2015 08:18, News wrote:
In message ,
writes

Does Geoff of CET still contribute?

Posted as Radon or Raden?

Interesting to be reminded of names, sometimes. Makes me realise that
regulars are suddenly no longer posting, and I do wonder why. Not just
here, but other groups and forums.

Andy Hall of course, but another chap, an old boy, who was an expert on
wooden floor cleaning etc. Unusual name, which I cannot remember.

Charles (Joe) Stahelin by any chance?

Some of their accumulated wisdom has been captured in the faq and wiki
of course...

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Floor_polishing

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/andyhalloffame.htm

Then there was the younger lad, working with his father, renovating a
barn. Seemed to be able to turn his hand to almost anything.

Grunff. Frank Irskine. Steve Firth. John Stumbles.

Grunff, too busy building web based businesses last time I spoke to
him... See http://www.symworks.com/

Lots of stuff by John in the Wiki, and also on his own site:

yaph.co.uk

Just a few names that come to mind.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 04/11/2015 08:18, News wrote:
In message ,
writes

[...]

Matthew Marks? What happened him?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim+
writes
John Rumm wrote:
On 04/11/2015 08:18, News wrote:
In message ,
writes

[...]

Dunno, but it must be many years (10+ ?) since he posted here.

People come and go for all sorts of reasons - I've been away for chunks
of time over the years.

uk.d-i-y is still an active group, but in common with other newsgroups
it seems to suffering from a drop in posters. The number of people
coming new to newsgroups (well text groups, binary groups might be
different) is pretty small it would seem
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris French wrote:
uk.d-i-y is still an active group, but in common with other newsgroups
it seems to suffering from a drop in posters. The number of people
coming new to newsgroups (well text groups, binary groups might be
different) is pretty small it would seem

Other thing is anyone first looking at uk.d-i-y now would probably
conclude that there is so much OT ****e that they can't be bothered wading
through it to find the genuine stuff.

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2015 18:04, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Just a few names that come to mind.

Matthew Marks? What happened him?

Matthew did a lot of the work on original FAQ ... not heard from him in
while

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ writes:

Matthew Marks? What happened him?

I spoke with him some time after he left here (still at the BBC).
He did the first FAQ.

The UK homebuild forum ripped large chunks of it off, removed the
contributors' copyright notices including those from Mark, myself,
and others, and stuck it up on their Wiki as theirs.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 04/11/2015 08:18, News wrote:

Andy Hall of course, but another chap, an old boy, who was an expert on
wooden floor cleaning etc. Unusual name, which I cannot remember.

Charles (Joe) Stahelin by any chance?

Yes! Thank you.

Good to know others are still around, too.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , News
writes
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 04/11/2015 08:18, News wrote:

Andy Hall of course, but another chap, an old boy, who was an expert on
wooden floor cleaning etc. Unusual name, which I cannot remember.

Charles (Joe) Stahelin by any chance?

Yes! Thank you.

Good to know others are still around, too.

I view of our collective average age, some mechanism for a final sign
off might be useful.

How many wives, offspring, executors are likely to know what a newsgroup
is? Or that anyone here might actually care!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
I view of our collective average age, some mechanism for a final sign
off might be useful.

Heh heh.

How many wives, offspring, executors are likely to know what a newsgroup
is? Or that anyone here might actually care!

Text only mediums are not, apparently, what the public want. They need to
be able to post pics.

--
*Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes

How many wives, offspring, executors are likely to know what a
newsgroup is? Or that anyone here might actually care!

Interesting point. My wife used to use Usenet 10+ years ago. Son, now
14, is vaguely aware of Usenet, but has never used it.

There is more to it than that, though. Most of us probably provide at
least basic password protection for our various devices, including
laptops and desktops. Do our family members know those passwords?
Beyond that, most mailing lists and forums require passwords. Yes, of
course, others could access through their own devices, but without
access to ours, would they even know which groups we belong to or
contribute to?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , News
writes
In message , John Rumm
writes
On 04/11/2015 08:18, News wrote:

Andy Hall of course, but another chap, an old boy, who was an expert on
wooden floor cleaning etc. Unusual name, which I cannot remember.

Charles (Joe) Stahelin by any chance?

Yes! Thank you.

Good to know others are still around, too.

I view of our collective average age, some mechanism for a final sign off
might be useful.

Yeah, but not that easy even in real life with everyone.

How many wives, offspring, executors are likely to know what a newsgroup
is? Or that anyone here might actually care!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2015 09:23, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , News
writes
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 04/11/2015 08:18, News wrote:

Andy Hall of course, but another chap, an old boy, who was an expert on
wooden floor cleaning etc. Unusual name, which I cannot remember.

Charles (Joe) Stahelin by any chance?

Yes! Thank you.

Good to know others are still around, too.

I view of our collective average age, some mechanism for a final sign
off might be useful.

Kind of like a dead man's handle? If you don't check the group for 90
days it automatically posts you obituary ;-)

Indeed it is hard to tell why someone vanished... Some deaths we know
about (Andy Hall, Stefek Zaba are two that spring to mind). Others like
Mary Fisher just gave up posting here, but have been spotted in the real
world.

Others like Christian McArdle (sp?) seemed to just vanish from usenet
completely on a certain date but were if memory serves relatively young.

How many wives, offspring, executors are likely to know what a newsgroup
is? Or that anyone here might actually care!

That could be an interesting section in a will; how to find usenet and
make an announcement!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cormaic the Paving Expert, Ed Sirrett et al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2015 11:20, wrote:

Cormaic the Paving Expert, Ed Sirrett et al

Cormaic, long time gone (from here) but still maintains his huge and
comprehensive web site:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

(also wrote a book on the subject)

Not sure what happened to Ed, he even pulled down his own site at some
point - we had to rescue some of his FAQs (gas fitting, boiler repair
etc, now on the wiki) from the wayback machine archive.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2015 11:20, wrote:
Cormaic the Paving Expert, Ed Sirrett et al

Cormaic is still going well ... on his own site
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2015 08:18, News wrote:
In message ,
writes

Does Geoff of CET still contribute?

Posted as Radon or Raden?

Interesting to be reminded of names, sometimes. Makes me realise that
regulars are suddenly no longer posting, and I do wonder why. Not just
here, but other groups and forums.

Andy Hall of course, but another chap, an old boy, who was an expert on
wooden floor cleaning etc. Unusual name, which I cannot remember.

Then there was the younger lad, working with his father, renovating a
barn. Seemed to be able to turn his hand to almost anything.

Grunff. Frank Irskine. Steve Firth. John Stumbles.

Just a few names that come to mind.

When I first started with this group it was access via trn in 1995,
group was less than a year old.
The WWW had not yet arrived, nobody had internet at home ...and getting
access to information was not easy.

Having the forum limited to text was not particularly easy .. for
example if you wanted to add a diagram it meant lots of fun using ASCII
art. Linking to a picture hosting site was not an option.

Once forums became more prevalent with ease of adding pictures,
diagrams, videos, etc ... the use of Newsgroups diminished. Several I
use have massively reduced in volume of posts.

There are now several on line UK DIY forums with easily used gui access
........ some are useful, some have become a business in their own right,
funded by adverts.

This group initially had almost zero spam, and questions were answered
or debated sometimes with humour, but the trolls did not exist .... so
insults and offence did not happen.

Now you have both.

Can I catch up? Muddymike[_2_] UK diy 8 January 18th 13 08:43 AM
They always catch you.... Burled Frau Metalworking 0 January 29th 10 03:50 AM
What is the catch? RayV Woodworking 8 April 12th 07 01:39 AM
Catch It Now Weatherlawyer UK diy 5 February 25th 06 11:46 AM
Catch It Now Weatherlawyer UK diy 0 February 21st 06 11:37 PM