Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Default OT. spf DNS record help

I want to set up an spf record for mydomain.co.uk, using this format:-

"v=spf1 a ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -all" my question is what address to replace x , the domain ip or the smtp server range.

Thanks Allan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/15 15:22, Al wrote:
I want to set up an spf record for mydomain.co.uk, using this format:-

"v=spf1 a ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -all" my question is what address to replace x , the domain ip or the smtp server range.

Thanks Allan

The short answer is "anything that might legitimately send email
addressed from your domain", so the legitimate SMTP server range for
definite, plus maybe any webserver you have if that sends mail directly.

http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html

You may wish to consider using ~all instead of -all at the end. -all is
a hard bounce- i.e. reject mail unless from the allowed range. ~all is
less likely to cause delivery problems but people can still use SPF for
filtering.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 07:22:32 -0700 (PDT), Al wrote:

I want to set up an spf record for mydomain.co.uk, using this format:-

"v=spf1 a ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -all" my question is what address to
replace x , the domain ip or the smtp server range.

Donno for sure but logic and sense says the IP of whatever machine is
trying to send mail for your domain.

Why not use "v=spf1 mx -all"?

Then if the mx machine(s) alter you don't have to worry about (aka
forget to) update your spf records.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

On Sunday, 18 October 2015 16:28:06 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 07:22:32 -0700 (PDT), Al wrote:

I want to set up an spf record for mydomain.co.uk, using this format:-

"v=spf1 a ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -all" my question is what address to
replace x , the domain ip or the smtp server range.

Donno for sure but logic and sense says the IP of whatever machine is
trying to send mail for your domain.

Why not use "v=spf1 mx -all"?

Then if the mx machine(s) alter you don't have to worry about (aka
forget to) update your spf records.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Thanks guys, just needed someone to confirm in plain English!

Allan

Is this a record? The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 14 April 11th 14 03:13 PM
Just for the record rangerssuck Metalworking 32 April 6th 12 03:48 AM
Is this a record? geoff UK diy 8 October 19th 10 07:11 PM
This has got to be a record. PJ Metalworking 24 December 21st 05 02:43 AM
Record DML 24 News Woodturning 0 October 24th 04 04:13 PM