Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PJ

Default This has got to be a record.

Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

PJ wrote:
Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex B wrote:
PJ wrote:
Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Love the statement that it had never been used, yet there is a nice
pile of swarf in the chip pan under the carriage.... So much for truth
in advertising.

Craig

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Rex B "":

PJ wrote:
Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Notice that it says "CNC" in the description, and the "swing
over bed" is claimed to be 'Over 51"', while it is stated to be a 12"
lathe in the header.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Rex B" wrote in message

PJ wrote:
Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex

I can't improve on that statement.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 01:16:17 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 17:35:16 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Rex B" wrote in message

PJ wrote:
Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex

I can't improve on that statement.

Harold

How 'bout..... it didn't cost that much when it was new?

A lathe that rare (CNC type Atlas South bend) would fetch a high
price.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"Rex B" wrote in message

PJ wrote:
Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex

I can't improve on that statement.

What do you think of this one for $1300?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-Craftsman-...cmd ZViewItem

No rust that I can see, and the seller says that " the machine has been
thoroughly checked out and repainted - looks good". I'm not sure I'd trust
his qualifications to check out a tool based on his approach to repainting.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

"Rex B" wrote in message

PJ wrote:
Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex

I can't improve on that statement.

What do you think of this one for $1300?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-Craftsman-...emZ7572882351Q
QcategoryZ633QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No rust that I can see, and the seller says that " the machine has been
thoroughly checked out and repainted - looks good". I'm not sure I'd

trust
his qualifications to check out a tool based on his approach to

repainting.

Mike

It looks pretty good, in my opinion. Looks like a little care has been
exercised in proper masking-----and best of all----it shows no signs of
rust, or having been cleaned of same.

Needless to say, one's opinion of the condition of ways is questionable,
without some knowledge of machine operations. To some, the very fact that
they can see ways tells them that they are fine-----not understanding that
wear on precision surfaces spells the big difference.

I always try to caution folks that just because a lathe or mill will make
chips doesn't mean it's worth owning. When you turn a handle and it
doesn't move as prescribed, what you have is often a very expensive piece of
metal that makes chips, but it's useful life as a machine tool will have
been well used up. Unless you're prepared to invest some money to restore
that which is so desirable-------precision, it often isn't worth what
you're about to pay.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

wrote:

"Rex B" wrote in message

PJ wrote:

Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex

I can't improve on that statement.

Harold

How 'bout..... it didn't cost that much when it was new?

I think my Atlas 10X36 with the quick change gearbox actually sold NEW
for $100 when it was originally released in the model i have in 1947
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:37:52 GMT, Ignoramus20852 wrote:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:23:43 -0500, Brent Philion wrote:
I think my Atlas 10X36 with the quick change gearbox actually sold NEW
for $100 when it was originally released in the model i have in 1947

we need to build a time machine...

Somehow, I can't help but think that between you and Gunner, we've got
all the parts we'd need for one.

Dave "Anyone got a working set of plans?" Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

wrote:

"Rex B" wrote in message

PJ wrote:

Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex

I can't improve on that statement.

Harold

How 'bout..... it didn't cost that much when it was new?

I think my Atlas 10X36 with the quick change gearbox actually sold NEW
for $100 when it was originally released in the model i have in 1947

Actually in 1947 a plain Atlas 10X36 without motor, listed for $275..

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article , Tom
wrote:

wrote:

"Rex B" wrote in message

PJ wrote:

Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex

I can't improve on that statement.

Harold

How 'bout..... it didn't cost that much when it was new?

I think my Atlas 10X36 with the quick change gearbox actually sold NEW
for $100 when it was originally released in the model i have in 1947

Actually in 1947 a plain Atlas 10X36 without motor, listed for $275..

Using the Inflation Calculator at http://www.bls.gov, $275 in 1947 is
equivalent to $2,437 today.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article , Tom
wrote:

wrote:

"Rex B" wrote in message

PJ wrote:

Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex

I can't improve on that statement.

Harold

How 'bout..... it didn't cost that much when it was new?

I think my Atlas 10X36 with the quick change gearbox actually sold NEW
for $100 when it was originally released in the model i have in 1947

Actually in 1947 a plain Atlas 10X36 without motor, listed for $275..

Using the Inflation Calculator at http://www.bls.gov, $275 in 1947 is
equivalent to $2,437 today.

Joe Gwinn

So then i didnt get hosed buying gently used with lots of tooling for
1200 Canadian (900-1000 ish us)

and funny how an asian import of around the same size HAPPENS to cost
int he ballpark of $2500
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article , Tom
wrote:

snip-----

Actually in 1947 a plain Atlas 10X36 without motor, listed for $275..

Using the Inflation Calculator at http://www.bls.gov, $275 in 1947 is
equivalent to $2,437 today.

Joe Gwinn

Given the fact that gold held at roughly $300/oz for quite some time, it's
clear that the buying power of the dollar has gone straight to hell. The
official valuation of a troy ounce of gold was $35 until into the early
70's.

Considering the information provided by Joe, we've experienced 886%
inflation (that would place gold @ $310/oz), so the cost of the lathe isn't
totally unreasonable. Still, it's an Atlas-------not a Monarch. How
many EE's have been purchased for less money? Can anyone (in their
right minds, anyway) even consider comparing an Atlas with a Monarch? I
think not.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:00:12 -0600, "Mike Henry"

"Rex B" wrote in message

PJ wrote:
Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex

I can't improve on that statement.

What do you think of this one for $1300?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-Craftsman-...cmd ZViewItem

No rust that I can see, and the seller says that " the machine has been
thoroughly checked out and repainted - looks good". I'm not sure I'd trust
his qualifications to check out a tool based on his approach to repainting.

Mike

Nice and PROPERLY repainted if a couple pictures is a good sample.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On 16 Dec 2005 20:39:37 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:37:52 GMT, Ignoramus20852 wrote:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:23:43 -0500, Brent Philion wrote:
I think my Atlas 10X36 with the quick change gearbox actually sold NEW
for $100 when it was originally released in the model i have in 1947

we need to build a time machine...

Somehow, I can't help but think that between you and Gunner, we've got
all the parts we'd need for one.

Dave "Anyone got a working set of plans?" Hinz

I wonder..can we use the ( 2) 14" Logan QC boxes Ive got?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

"Rex B" wrote in message

PJ wrote:
Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex

I can't improve on that statement.

What do you think of this one for $1300?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-Craftsman-...emZ7572882351Q
QcategoryZ633QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No rust that I can see, and the seller says that " the machine has been
thoroughly checked out and repainted - looks good". I'm not sure I'd

trust
his qualifications to check out a tool based on his approach to

repainting.

Mike

It looks pretty good, in my opinion. Looks like a little care has been
exercised in proper masking-----and best of all----it shows no signs of
rust, or having been cleaned of same.

I missed some evidence of rust in the closeup of the compound and steady.
It looks like he painted all of the exposed gears, the pulleys, and at least
some of the oilers. That's not a good sign in my book, though a personal
inspection might reveal a decent tool. My point was that someone that
paints gears, pulleys, oilers and fasteners in place is probably not very
well qualified to judge the condition of the tool.

Needless to say, one's opinion of the condition of ways is questionable,
without some knowledge of machine operations. To some, the very fact
that
they can see ways tells them that they are fine-----not understanding that
wear on precision surfaces spells the big difference.

Pretty tough to tell about the ways. There is some evidence of staining and
perhaps pitting in the pictures.

I always try to caution folks that just because a lathe or mill will make
chips doesn't mean it's worth owning. When you turn a handle and it
doesn't move as prescribed, what you have is often a very expensive piece
of
metal that makes chips, but it's useful life as a machine tool will have
been well used up. Unless you're prepared to invest some money to restore
that which is so desirable-------precision, it often isn't worth what
you're about to pay.

It looks like tooling on this one is limited to the 3-jaw chuck and the
steady rest - there don't even seem to be any toolholders or toolpost
included. I've owned an earlier version of that size Craftsman lathe that
was in really good shape. It's been replaced by a heavier 12x36 lathe that
turns out much better work and is much more fun to use. $1300 seems pretty
high to me, but maybe they bring that in NC.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"Rex B" wrote in message

PJ wrote:
Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex

I can't improve on that statement.

What do you think of this one for $1300?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-Craftsman-...cmd ZViewItem

No rust that I can see, and the seller says that " the machine has been
thoroughly checked out and repainted - looks good". I'm not sure I'd
trust
his qualifications to check out a tool based on his approach to
repainting.

Mike

Nice and PROPERLY repainted if a couple pictures is a good sample.

I was referring to the painted gears, pulleys, and oilers. That doesn't
seem like a proper repainting job to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
snip-----

I missed some evidence of rust in the closeup of the compound and steady.
It looks like he painted all of the exposed gears, the pulleys, and at

least
some of the oilers. That's not a good sign in my book, though a personal
inspection might reveal a decent tool. My point was that someone that
paints gears, pulleys, oilers and fasteners in place is probably not very
well qualified to judge the condition of the tool.

Nice catch, Mike. I missed them, too. I used a "magnifier" in
addition to the large photo, and there's clearly some rust showing under
paint on the steady-----and the end of the spindle has clearly been painted.
Didn't see much on the compound, but the cross slide handle sure is
suspicious. As you suggested, there's also signs of staining on the ways,
although they're not readily noticeable. Makes you wonder what else,
doesn't it?

I think it goes a long ways towards supporting the idea that a picture isn't
a very good way to analyze the condition of a machine tool.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Nice catch, Mike. I missed them, too. I used a "magnifier" in
addition to the large photo, and there's clearly some rust showing under
paint on the steady-----and the end of the spindle has clearly been painted.
Didn't see much on the compound, but the cross slide handle sure is
suspicious. As you suggested, there's also signs of staining on the ways,
although they're not readily noticeable. Makes you wonder what else,
doesn't it?

Very telling is the photo of the end of the machine where the V-belt
sheaves were sprayed. One speed is unpainted, the one where the
belt is presently set.

Atlas uses a lot of zamac castings for handwheels and knobs, which
is why you don't see rust on them. The handwheel for the tailstock
has been replaced with a home-made affair.

Most telling of all is that every fastener has been sprayed over.

At best, one would have to inspect the machine in person before buying.
At worst, it's nearly a classic babbin re-build.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
snip-----

Atlas uses a lot of zamac castings for handwheels and knobs, which
is why you don't see rust on them. The handwheel for the tailstock
has been replaced with a home-made affair.

Jim

This speaks volumes about my not being well connected with the home shop
machines. I hadn't given the zamac idea a thought, although I remember all
too well that my little Craftsman lathe was so built. How soon we forget!

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

What cha goin' to do - double shift to light speed +?
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gunner Asch wrote:
On 16 Dec 2005 20:39:37 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:37:52 GMT, Ignoramus20852 wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:23:43 -0500, Brent Philion wrote:

I think my Atlas 10X36 with the quick change gearbox actually sold NEW
for $100 when it was originally released in the model i have in 1947

we need to build a time machine...

Somehow, I can't help but think that between you and Gunner, we've got
all the parts we'd need for one.

Dave "Anyone got a working set of plans?" Hinz

I wonder..can we use the ( 2) 14" Logan QC boxes Ive got?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:06:48 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

What cha goin' to do - double shift to light speed +?
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Captain..I kenna get no morre powerrrrrr

(Engineer Scott, to Captain Kirk)

Gunner Asch wrote:
On 16 Dec 2005 20:39:37 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:37:52 GMT, Ignoramus20852 wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:23:43 -0500, Brent Philion wrote:

I think my Atlas 10X36 with the quick change gearbox actually sold NEW
for $100 when it was originally released in the model i have in 1947

we need to build a time machine...

Somehow, I can't help but think that between you and Gunner, we've got
all the parts we'd need for one.

Dave "Anyone got a working set of plans?" Hinz

I wonder..can we use the ( 2) 14" Logan QC boxes Ive got?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 08:36:55 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

.. .

"Rex B" wrote in message

PJ wrote:
Atlas lathe on ebay....Paul

New or not, $3000 for an Atlas is just insane.

Rex

I can't improve on that statement.

What do you think of this one for $1300?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-Craftsman-...cmd ZViewItem

No rust that I can see, and the seller says that " the machine has been
thoroughly checked out and repainted - looks good". I'm not sure I'd
trust
his qualifications to check out a tool based on his approach to
repainting.

Mike

Nice and PROPERLY repainted if a couple pictures is a good sample.

I was referring to the painted gears, pulleys, and oilers. That doesn't
seem like a proper repainting job to me.

Evidently I didnt look at those pictures. I only looked at a few, as I
indicated.
Im on dialup and currently my connection speed is 28.8. I need to pull
new phone lines ASAP. Pictures can be very very slow.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mikee

It also looks like the head stock/leadscrew gears were completely spray painted
over in one photo. Not too cool, I'm afraid.

Mike Eberlein