Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good washer/dryer machine make that isn't Miele

(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical
machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering about
looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical
machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering about
looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

Can't advise on a "good" washer dryer as they all have the same flaw,
namely they can't dry a full load. Better to stack a dryer on top of a
washer and have the freedom to choose each one on its merits.

If it's for a small flat, consider the dehumidifier option for drying.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 19:24:56 UTC+1, Tim wrote:
Can't advise on a "good" washer dryer as they all have the same flaw,
namely they can't dry a full load.

On the other hand they can wash a half load and dry it without attention, which is quite handy if you want to leave a wash-and-dry running whilst at work and come home to dry clothes ready to wear that evening.

(If you trust running a WM/TD whilst unattended that is.)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/15 18:59, Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical
machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I think my Miele weighs 90kg. I weigh slightly more than that and I'm
sure if I walked through your flat the floor wouldn't have a problem
with my weight. Nor if me and another person or two stood where the
machine will be sited. So although they are heavy, the floor should be
more than adequate for the weight, and if it isn't you probably need to
start worrying about who walks on it. HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a
typical machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering
about looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

IMO there is no such thing as a good washer drier machine.
Driers need a large drum diameter to work best. You can't get this in a
UK washer drier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/15 23:35, Capitol wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a
typical machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering
about looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

IMO there is no such thing as a good washer drier machine.
Driers need a large drum diameter to work best. You can't get this in a
UK washer drier.

I'm coming to that conclusion...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 23:35:01 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a
typical machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering
about looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

IMO there is no such thing as a good washer drier machine.
Driers need a large drum diameter to work best. You can't get this in a
UK washer drier.

My washer is a JLWM1414 (John Lewis, but really AEG) with a nominal load of
8kg (although I wouldn't put in more than 6kg due to space) and the drum is
approx. 70 litres. I chose it in part for the size of drum as I consider
that washing really needs 12li/kg and 10li/kg min.
Now, I don't know if there's a washer/drier model, but the diameter of the
drum is getting close to the max. for a washer. A drier alone could be a bit
bigger as it could be the diameter of the outer drum of a washer and it's
the diameter that gives the useful volume.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2015 23:35, Capitol wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a
typical machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering
about looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

IMO there is no such thing as a good washer drier machine.
Driers need a large drum diameter to work best. You can't get this in a
UK washer drier.

My samsung has a drum that only just fits in the case so a dryer isn't
going to be any bigger and I think its crap but I think just dryers are too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2015 18:59, Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical
machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering about
looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

Which, Aug 2015, Wahser-dryers:
http://magazine.which.co.uk/editions...ryerstable.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Panasonic?
I'm thinking of the fact that as far as I know they still do one with
rotating knobs not the nasty touch screens that most elderly folk need a
magnifying glass to see.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical
machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering about
looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical
machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering about
looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

Not sure if there is an AEG - Bosch link

Siemens, Bosch and Neff certainly have common parts/chassis etc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/15 12:15, Bob Minchin wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical
machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering about
looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

Not sure if there is an AEG - Bosch link

Siemens, Bosch and Neff certainly have common parts/chassis etc

I just noticed that - even to the point where the manuals were near
identical!

I assumed they were all Bosch underneath?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical
machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering about
looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

Not sure if there is an AEG - Bosch link

Siemens, Bosch and Neff certainly have common parts/chassis etc

I just noticed that - even to the point where the manuals were near
identical!

I assumed they were all Bosch underneath?

Many models were made in the same factory using common mechanics.
Plastic trim variants and differing software fills turns them into quite
different looking machines with different performance etc.
I used to work for Siemens - in a quite different part of the business
but I could buy domestic appliances as staff sales - something they
continue to allow into retirement.
We could get Siemens, Bosch and Neff brands but I don't recall AEG being
offered. That is not to say they have not merged now. I retired 6 years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical
machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

20-30 kg is probably the weight of a full load when wet.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering about
looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

Admit it - you know you should go for a Miele. May be more expensive, but
last forever. Relatively.

Not generally impressed by the build quality of anything Samsung. Not
designed to last.

--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2015 18:59, Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical
machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering about
looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

If you'd asked me a few months ago I would have probably said Bosch
Logixx. However, my parents had a Bosch Logixx integrated washer and at
only 7 years old, the bearings had worn out and the heating element had
gone. Not particularly impressive for a machine costing £550+ AND one
that was well looked after.

I know these are wear and tear items but the cost of getting it repaired
was rather high, it worked out cheaper to buy an ex-display (identical)
machine to replace it.

--
Dazza

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/15 20:59, gremlin_95 wrote:
[...]

Ironically the bottom end Meiles cost 600-ish.

As I say, this is for someone else, but I've had a Miele washing machine
for years and it's bloody brilliant.

I replaced a Bosch Logixx dishwasher that died after about 9 years with
a Miele too.

The real question was: would a bouncy flat's floor cope. Well, as the
basic machine seems to be 90kg, probably. I was confused looking at the
washer dryers which are a good deal heavier...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 14/10/2015 21:46, Fake Todal wrote:
[...]

Not Beko. Avoid Beko - their products tend to burst into flames and burn
your house down.

In a recent Which report the best washer-dryer (and at a relatively
modest price) was made by John Lewis. The JLWD1612.

The cheapest machine with a reasonable performance was the Indesit IWDE126.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gremlin_95" wrote in message
On 13/10/2015 18:59, Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical
machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering about
looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

If you'd asked me a few months ago I would have probably said Bosch
Logixx. However, my parents had a Bosch Logixx integrated washer and at
only 7 years old, the bearings had worn out and the heating element had
gone. Not particularly impressive for a machine costing £550+ AND one that
was well looked after.

I know these are wear and tear items

They shouldnt be with a washing machine and
haven't failed in my 40+ year old washing machine.

but the cost of getting it repaired was rather high, it worked out cheaper
to buy an ex-display (identical) machine to replace it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"gremlin_95" wrote in message
On 13/10/2015 18:59, Tim Watts wrote:
(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical
machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering about
looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

If you'd asked me a few months ago I would have probably said Bosch
Logixx. However, my parents had a Bosch Logixx integrated washer and at
only 7 years old, the bearings had worn out and the heating element had
gone. Not particularly impressive for a machine costing £550+ AND one
that was well looked after.

I know these are wear and tear items

They shouldn't be with a washing machine and
haven't failed in my 40+ year old washing machine.

Some folks use'em more often than once a year.