Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (Possibly OT) oven temperature question

Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:

Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Has Wikipedia passed you by?

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2015 19:34, Scott M wrote:
Bod wrote:

Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Has Wikipedia passed you by?

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong many times.
If you know the answer, is it that hard for you to say
yes or no?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 12/10/2015 19:25, Bod wrote:
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Smoke some more weed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 12/10/2015 19:36, The Todal wrote:
On 12/10/2015 19:25, Bod wrote:
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Smoke some more weed.

Is that how you get your answers then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 12/10/2015 19:25, Bod wrote:
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade? ie:
Gas mark 1 = 100 C 2 = 200 C etc. I've never seen what the
graduations relate to in any cooker that we've ever bought.

Smoke some more weed.

Is that how you get your answers then?

GOOGLE

http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_gasmark.htm

Go learn how to use it Ronaldo.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 12/10/2015 19:25, Bod wrote:
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Smoke some more weed.

Is that how you get your answers then?

No I ask you're wife.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:

Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Has Wikipedia passed you by?

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong many times.

On things like that, it's generally pretty good. It's also referenced,
so you can check for yourself.

I think you can reasonably easily assume it's not 100s of C though. Gas
mark 6, 600 degrees C, would be quite messy :-)

(Pizza ovens are 400 degrees or so)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2015 2:25 PM, Bod wrote:
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Gas Mark 1 app 140C
Gas Mark 2 app 150C
Gas Mark 3 app 170C
Gas Mark 4 app 180C
Gas Mark 5 app 190C
Gas Mark 6 app 200C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:

Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Has Wikipedia passed you by?

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong many times.

On things like that, it's generally pretty good. It's also referenced,
so you can check for yourself.

I think you can reasonably easily assume it's not 100s of C though. Gas
mark 6, 600 degrees C, would be quite messy :-)

(Pizza ovens are 400 degrees or so)

The Sun is pretty hot to , don't ya know

Gas Mark 25000.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:

Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Has Wikipedia passed you by?

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong many times.

Which means that you:

a) lack the ability to make value judgements of what you read (which
going by Gas Mark 8 = 800C, seems to be about right)

b) seem to think an answer from people like me is more likely to be
right than a peer-checked answer from people with too much time on their
hands.

c) have never bothered reading anything (recipes, packets, instant
meals) where they give oven settings in C, F & GM. I avoid cooking like
the plague but know GM6 is 200C.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Yes.
Gas mark 5 is 500C
Gas mark 10 is hyperspace.
FFS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2015 19:25, Bod wrote:
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

We didn't use those funny foreign measurements when the gas mark was
introduced.

Gas Mark 1 = 275F
Gas Mark 2 = 300F
Gas Mark 3 = 325F
etc

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 12/10/2015 19:25, Bod wrote:
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Smoke some more weed.

Is that how you get your answers then?

No I ask you're wife.

She said that she doesn't speak to strange men. I'm the exception.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:

Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Has Wikipedia passed you by?

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong many times.

It's a lot better than it used to be. Probably no more unreliable than
any other encyclopedia these days. Here's the Wiki entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_Mark

Perhaps Scott meant Google. In which case, try this.
http://tinyurl.com/cbgta4 The temperatures don't agree exactly with
the Wiki figures, but they're within a few degrees, and oven
thermostats are never that accurate anyway.

Thanks, appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 10/12/2015 2:25 PM, Bod wrote:
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Gas Mark 1 app 140C
Gas Mark 2 app 150C
Gas Mark 3 app 170C
Gas Mark 4 app 180C
Gas Mark 5 app 190C
Gas Mark 6 app 200C

Anything over gash mark 5 and you can put the pork sausage in the oven.

Cooking times are variable.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 12/10/2015 21:28, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/10/15 19:36, The Todal wrote:
On 12/10/2015 19:25, Bod wrote:
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Smoke some more weed.

You're not The Todal.

Are you by the slightest chance another wodders nym?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 12/10/2015 19:25, Bod wrote:
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Smoke some more weed.

You're not The Todal.

Are you by the slightest chance another wodders nym?

No Im whoever I want to be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 12/10/2015 19:25, Bod wrote:
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Smoke some more weed.

You're not The Todal.

Are you by the slightest chance another wodders nym?

Wodders is too stupid.
I know who he is.
He ****ed up on Severn Way.
One day .........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:

Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Has Wikipedia passed you by?

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong many times.

It's a lot better than it used to be. Probably no more
unreliable than any other encyclopedia these days.

Much more reliable in fact given how easy it is to fix
errors and with so many more reading it than any other.

There are some obvious exceptions, particularly with pollys who
have staff that keep deleting anything they don't like to see.

Here's the Wiki entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_Mark

Perhaps Scott meant Google. In which case, try this.
http://tinyurl.com/cbgta4 The temperatures don't agree exactly with
the Wiki figures, but they're within a few degrees, and oven
thermostats are never that accurate anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In message . com, The
Todal writes

No I ask you're wife.

As Tim says. The Todal would NOT have typed as above.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
cpb" "insert my surname writes

We didn't use those funny foreign measurements when the gas mark was
introduced.

Gas Mark 1 = 275F
Gas Mark 2 = 300F
Gas Mark 3 = 325F
etc

Gas Mark? Regulo, please :-)
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've often wondered why we need such daft ways to measure temperature. Have
we not already got too many temperature scales without a type just related
to gas ovens?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
Bod wrote:

Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Has Wikipedia passed you by?

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong many times.

On things like that, it's generally pretty good. It's also referenced, so
you can check for yourself.

I think you can reasonably easily assume it's not 100s of C though. Gas
mark 6, 600 degrees C, would be quite messy :-)

(Pizza ovens are 400 degrees or so)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote

I've often wondered why we need such daft ways to measure temperature.

We don’t.

Have we not already got too many temperature scales without a type just
related to gas ovens?

Yes, but historical stuff can hang around.

Bod wrote:

Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

Has Wikipedia passed you by?

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong many times.

On things like that, it's generally pretty good. It's also referenced, so
you can check for yourself.

I think you can reasonably easily assume it's not 100s of C though. Gas
mark 6, 600 degrees C, would be quite messy :-)

(Pizza ovens are 400 degrees or so)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade?
ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C
2 = 200 C etc.
I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker
that we've ever bought.

No,
http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/equiv.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 October 2015 20:53:54 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Anything over gash mark 5 and you can put the pork sausage in the oven.
Cooking times are variable.

About nine months for a bun.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 08:46:20 +0100, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

I've often wondered why we need such daft ways to measure temperature. Have
we not already got too many temperature scales without a type just related
to gas ovens?

The "Regulo mark Number" was invented by the New World gas cooker
company in the 1920's when they made the first gas cooker with a
thermostatic control. The cooker was open to the air, the burner at
the bottom rear vented combustion products out of the back. This
created a temperature gradient in the oven (advertised as a "good
thing", you could cook a whole meal requiring different temperatures
at once by putting those needing more heat at the top and those
needing least at the bottom. ) Most cooks wouldn't have been familiar
with temperature scales, only with hot, not so hot and cool ovens.
Having a single digit number on a dial was much easier than having to
fit a 3 digit degF scale onto it. It also made using the different
cooker levels easy, each shelf was about 1 regulo mark different from
the one above or below.

It wasn't meant as a temperature scale rather as a cooking guide.