Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical Oven - Temperature

If you set an electric oven to say 100 degree C on the control - what
sort of swing would you expect between max and min temps in oven as
thermostat switched in and out. What sort of temperature would you
expect it to switch at - as I assume there is a "hysterisis" type
lag.

Are they typically plus or minus x%?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:28:44 +0100, andrew wrote:

If you set an electric oven to say 100 degree C on the control - what
sort of swing would you expect between max and min temps in oven as
thermostat switched in and out. What sort of temperature would you
expect it to switch at - as I assume there is a "hysterisis" type lag.

Are they typically plus or minus x%?

You can easily measure this by moving the dial and listening for the
click. IME on an electric oven the hysteresis could well be +/- 10C.
The calibration might easily be 5-10 or even more out. For this reason
you have to 'learn' your oven.

Doubtless commercial duty kit is a lot better in both respects.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

You can easily measure this by moving the dial and listening for the
click.

That will establish the hysteresis band of the thermostat, but the
temperature swing in the oven is likely to be larger. When the 'stat
contacts open (temperature rising) the heat stored in the hot element
will cause the general oven temperature to continue rising for a while.
This overshoot will be greater if the oven is lightly loaded than if
it is full.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Wade writes:
Ed Sirett wrote:

You can easily measure this by moving the dial and listening for the
click.

That will establish the hysteresis band of the thermostat, but the
temperature swing in the oven is likely to be larger. When the 'stat
contacts open (temperature rising) the heat stored in the hot element
will cause the general oven temperature to continue rising for a while.
This overshoot will be greater if the oven is lightly loaded than if
it is full.

And the temperature variation of different parts of the oven
(even a fan oven) will be greater and more significant from
the cooking perspective. Comes back to learning your oven,
as Ed said.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"andrew" wrote in message

If you set an electric oven to say 100 degree C on the control - what
sort of swing would you expect between max and min temps in oven as
thermostat switched in and out. What sort of temperature would you
expect it to switch at - as I assume there is a "hysterisis" type
lag.

I used a meter to test mine out of curiosity.
I set the oven to 200C it took about 10 mins to reach 200C,
The heater light came off and on somewhere between ~197 & ~209
as measured on a thermocouple dangled roughly in the middle of the bottom
oven.

Cooker was a Zanuis/electrolux electric fan assisted one I brought from
Argos
for about £550 a year ago.
The meter I'd say was about 2% accuracy .
I was quite suprised how close the numbers were, another thing I noticed was
how quickly the temepature fell once I opened the oven door.
It could take 3-5 mins or so for the temperature to stabilise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

whisky-dave wrote:
"andrew" wrote in message

[...]

I just used almond macaroons to test mine. The ones on the back of the
tray were burning while those at the front were not quite done. Belling
cooker - top oven. Dreadfully uneven - will use main oven next time.

But very nice... mmmmmmmmmmm

Recipe available.

--
Rod